CANADA Canada - Mary Frances Gregory, 19, Parry Sound ON, 18 Feb 1978

Woodland

Reaction score
There is a Can $50,0000.00 reward for information regarding the disappearance or death of Mary Frances Gregory, age 19, last seen in Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada on 18 February 1978.

Mary Frances Gregory left Parry Sound, Ontario on 18 February 1978 by car for a vacation in Palo Alto, California with a male companion. She never arrived.

The male companion stated he left Mary Gregory at a bus station in Las Vegas, Nevada about 10 days after leaving Ontario. The driver stated they traveled through the states of New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Colorado, Utah and Arizona before arriving in Nevada.

The route indicates a border crossing at Niagara Falls if the driver is correct in his information. Windsor, Ontario into Detroit, Michigan would be an alternative as well as Sarnia, Ontario into Port Huron, Michigan.

Have asked the detective currently in charge for more information regarding the route taken (as given to them by the driver) but my request was denied. The detective does look forward to any tips to follow up on.

Link to OPP Reward 05-18

http://www.opp.ca/ecms/files/250382795.2.pdf

Link to OPP Missing Persons Website, case no 20060173OPP

http://www.missing-u.ca/MPDetail.aspx?PersonID=274

Link to The Charley Project

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gregory_mary.html

If someone is able to post Mary Gregory's picture for all to see it would be appreciated.

White Female, Fair Complexion

DOB 27 May 1958 - Age 19 in 1978

Height 5' 3"

Weight 110 lbs - Medium Build

Hair - Blond

Eyes - Hazel

gregory_mary.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gregory_mary.html

Hmmm. Many questions here.

Why did the male companion drop her at a bus station in LV?
Was there a reason for her to return prior to arriving in CA?
Is there any corroboration of the journey at all? Any places along the route that we KNOW they got to safely?

Otherwise.....its kinda possible that she is anywhere......probably lots of UIDs that could be her.....

Agreed airplanelamp - might explain the size of the reward.

Will ask about known destinations reached in the US.

A couple observations.

The border would know exactly where they crossed at, so I would say they did start off in NY. but after Illinois they either went into Iowa and Nebraska then Colorado or into Missouri then Kansas and into CO. And from Ohio to Illinois I would say at least part of Indiana.

I am not sure why they will not say exact route, but as another poster said she could be anywhere. If she did make it to Vegas, that opens up even more scary possibilities.

So little info is known. What prompted a so called friend to dump her supposedly in Vegas. I believe we are missing to many pieces to this story.

And is the family saying possible memory loss because the friend told them that, or as an explanation as to why she did not return right away?

After 35 years, it seems releasing a little more info will only help the case. LE does it a little different north of the 49th parallel.

Whatever, if she is found between LV and Buffalo the companion has problems - if he's still alive.

And is the family saying possible memory loss because the friend told them that, or as an explanation as to why she did not return right away?

and if they believe that why is there no age progression photo? Or is there one and I just can't find it?

If there is the possibility she is out there with a memory loss, then she wouldn't know who she is.

Over the span of 43 years, nine people have gone missing from West Parry Sound. One woman, Mary Frances Gregory was reported missing in 1978 when she didn’t arrive in her planned destination, Palo Alto California, after leaving Parry Sound.

http://www.cottagecountrynow.ca/news/news/article/1028296

Just found this article, geez most are drownings, with the few exceptions, Diane Prevost, in 1966 presumed kidnapped.

It wouldn't take 10 days to get from Parry Sound, Ontario to Las Vegas, Nevada, as the companion said. He is indicating they were taking their time - that's a lot of hotel/motel rooms before her vacation started. If one were to believe him.

Could Mary have rejected his advances somewhere along the way and he snapped?

Has she ever been looked at as a possibility for buckskin girl?

Has she ever been looked at as a possibility for buckskin girl?

Buckskin Girl died in 1981, and she was found within 36 to 55 hours after her death. What could Mary Frances Gregory have been doing for approx. 3 yrs?

Buckskin Girl died in 1981, and she was found within 36 to 55 hours after her death. What could Mary Frances Gregory have been doing for approx. 3 yrs?

Literally anything. If she was left in Vegas like claimed she could have met someone, tried to work her way back to her home. Who knows. I don't think she particularly favors her, but, a rule out is always nice to have.

I'm glad to see at least somebody cares. What is it with Canadian missing cases? After all this years there is still one (bad) picture available.

A fresh CP link, because none of the above are working anymore

Mary Frances Gregory – The Charley Project

We can conclude Mary was not buckskin Jane Doe, who is identified as Marci King.

The other suggested UID found on the shore of Lake Yuab identified as Marilee Lee Bruszer.

Still no other pictures available. Still no additional information.

"She was carrying luggage at the time of her disappearance; it has been recovered" WHERE was it recovered? This seems important to me. Her companion stated he left her in Nevada, Las Vegas. Was het luggage recovered there?

Why did her family think she suffered some kind of memory loss after she went missing? Is this because they never heard from her again? I believe she is dearly missed. I wish I could make contact with the family, asking for additional info and pictures.

What did the police do in the investigation? What was initially done to trace her? She is listed at the missing persons side of California state....why not in Nevada?

Last edited:
entrydata.php

Mary Frances GREGORY
MISSING PERSON

NAME: Mary Frances GREGORY
D.O.B.: May 27, 1958
RACE: White
SEX: Female
HEIGHT: 160 cm (5’3”)
WEIGHT: 50 kg (111 lbs)
BUILD: Medium
HAIR: Blonde
EYES: Hazel
COMPLEXION: Fair

Mary Frances GREGORY left her home in PARRY SOUND, Ontario, Canada on February 18, 1978 to vacation in CALIFORNIA. She failed to arrive at her destination in Palo Alto, CALIFORNIA and has not contacted any family members or friends since.

GREGORY is believed to have departed Canada by motor vehicle with a male acquaintance who states that he let her off at a bus station in Las Vegas, Nevada some ten days after leaving Canada. The driver claims to have driven to Nevada via the States of New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Colorado, Utah, and Arizona.

The Ontario Provincial Police urges anyone with information regarding the disappearance and/or death of Mary GREGORY to communicate immediately with the Director of the Criminal Investigation Branch, Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122 or (705) 329-6111, their nearest police authority, or Crime Stoppers.

LINK:

Ontario Provincial Police

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson