Boy Expelled From School After Wearing Mohawk

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Teen Doesn't Think His Hair Is Disruptive

POSTED: 4:43 pm EST February 21, 2005

ASHTABULA, Ohio -- Josh Pauley said his new haircut allows him to be an individual and express himself, but it also got him expelled from school, NewsChannel5 reported.

Conneaut High School Principal John Plosila said he gave the 9th-grader plenty of chances to comply with the school's dress guidelines, but Pauley refused.

WEWS asked him why he didn't change his hairstyle along with the red dye in the front.

" 'Cause I was being discriminated against. So many other people wear bare midriffs and mini-skirts and tattoos. They have facial piercings and holes in their ears that are big. And they send me home for my hair. I don't think it's right."

Plosila said the dress code states hair should not be of an unnatural color or of any style that could be disruptive.

"We enforce the dress code, and we enforce it evenly for all students," said Plosila. "There are some things we may overlook. Piercings are not an issue for us."

For now, Pauley and his Mohawk are out of school for the remainder of the year.

"It's ridiculous," Pauley said.

WEWS reported Pauley's parents are trying to enroll him in an online charter school and they are shopping for an attorney.

His parents are not thrilled with the haircut either.

"But he's an individual and we didn't feel it was hurting anything," said Theresa Pauley, Pauley's stepmother.

http://www.newsnet5.com/education/4217850/detail.html

I agree with the parents. My hubby adn I have decided that of all the ways our daughter could act out as a teen, we will not argue about hair no matter how terrible we think it looks. It is one thing that is not permanent and can be used to express oneself. However, if the school dress code plainly states no dye, then the red part would have to go. I would only think the mokawk would be disruptive for a couple of days and then kids would be used to it.

I thought they took this to the supreme court in the 70's and it was decided that the school couldn't mandate the hairstyle?

IMO Neither the hair nor the dye will be permanent- both will grow out eventually. Let the kid be and he will outgrow it- probably.

I disagree with the parents in this case. Right now, SCHOOL is this kids' job, his responsibility. If his look is causing him to not be able to perform that function, it should be changed. Kids seem to think they have a right to look a certain way and that society has to adapt to that, they're wrong.

Jeana (DP) said:
I disagree with the parents in this case. Right now, SCHOOL is this kids' job, his responsibility. If his look is causing him to not be able to perform that function, it should be changed. Kids seem to think they have a right to look a certain way and that society has to adapt to that, they're wrong.

You are TOUGH Jeana!
I do agree with the parents though. I don't see it as damaging at all. As long as the child goes to school, makes his grades, and stays out of trouble, I don't see any harm. I think it is sad that kids loose all of thier constitutional rights when they enter the school.
I think it is good for him that his parents are behind him though.
My dad would have been more on your wave though. I would have been grounded for sure.
I completely understand his frustration about the stomachs showing and all of the peircings- and I don't buy the "we don't have issues with peircings, but with hair" bit...
At least this kid is learning how to be his own person. You should see my little snowboard groms. Talk about crazy hair! All colors of the rainbow, and mohawks galore... They love it! It makes them feel independent and spontaneous and "tough". They even think it makes them snowboard better!
They are such dolls! These kids have lots of frustration, and I think the hair is a kind of outlet for them. At least they are out there getting crazy with their hair and on a snowboard, and not getting in to trouble...

Most teachers these days have too much else to worry about. They shouldn't have to deal with a kids' hairdo causing trouble at school.

I've got three kids in all ages, and I don't think that too many children have trouble learning how to be their own people. However, when all they've got to do is go to school, get decent grades and stick to the rules applied therein, I seriously doubt that they're being stiffled. I explain exactly to my children what's expected of them during the school year. If they can't wear it at school, they can't wear it. Period. However, I would let them do anything they wanted to their hair during the summer months. I also told my sons that they can get their ears pierced as long as they do it early enough in the summer that they can take out the earrings before school and it won't close up. I also pay my children for A's grades earned. School being their jobs, I think they deserve that. Most of my kids' friends think they have it super easy because my kids don't really have any chores to do. Most of their friends spend a couple hours or more each week just doing chores at home. As long as my kids keep their rooms picked up, I let them housekeeper clean the rest of their rooms.

Jeana (DP) said:
They DO have a right to look how they want to. Take a look at the 1st Amendment. If you don't like how they look, don't look at them.
His hair does not affect his or his classmate's ability to learn or perform their school work.
I may not like it if a 300lb woman wears a mini skirt and tube top but that's MY problem, not hers.

princessmer81 said:
They DO have a right to look how they want to. Take a look at the 1st Amendment. If you don't like how they look, don't look at them.
His hair does not affect his or his classmate's ability to learn or perform their school work.
I may not like it if a 300lb woman wears a mini skirt and tube top but that's MY problem, not hers.

Sure he does!! He can look any way he likes. Right now, he's looking like that FROM THE PARKING LOT - now no one has to look at him!! :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:

princessmer81 said:
So there should be no rules at school regarding hairstyles or clothing? What about the current situation where the schools are enforcing no pants that slide down exposing underwear? Isn't there some reasonable place the line should be drawn for what's appropriate and what's not? I'm not sure the 1st Amendment protects high school children from dressing appropriately while they're in school.

How do you know that? I didn't read it in the article. Evidently the teachers or the principal, or both, thought it was disruptive enough to expel him. I'm not sure how other kids were reacting to him because I didn't see that mentioned.

It would be her problem if she wore it to this high school, LOL.

Schools can and should enforse dress codes etc. IMO all schools should have uniforms as well as standards for hair, make-up etc. Yes, children like to express themselves, but there comes a time (especially by high school age) when they need to learn what is appropriate and what is not appropriate. If two 18 year old apply for the same job, have exact same ability, attitude, GPA etc, yet one has a purple mohawk and pierced eyebrows and the other is clean cut and well dressed, who do you suppose will be hired?

I would think that bare midrifs and miniskirts would be more distracting than a red mohawk. I finally allowed my son to be the one giving instructions to the barber ladt time we were there, about a week and a half ago. This past Saturday he was begging for another haircut because even he was sick of it. I love it when things work out like that.

As as everyone who has seen my pic knows I am a fan of the mohawk! : )
***HOWEVER*** Now that Im also a Mom my view is this........If it is against school policy DONT DO IT!
I myself got kicked out of high school for the way I looked.Did my parents sue the school? No. I homeschooled until I found a school where it wasnt an issue (the school I got kicked out of was a very conservative,small high school).They shouldve made me change my hair *but* thats a whole different story I digress.........

My son wants a mohawk and I told him no because-TA DA!-its against the rules.
School is not the place for "expressing yourself".That is done the 82% of the time youre not in school.
The school also doesnt allow "unnatural" hair color so my son is only allowed to color his hair during the summer.Hes an honor student btw and understands that his #1 priority now is school.He has joking called me "hypocritical" but he also seems to understand I have only his best interests at heart and is a great kid.
He can be "cool" but not during school hours-period.
Children do not have "rights" as adults do.These parents either need to teach their son this fact as well as teaching personal responsibilty or put their son in another school-period.

messiecake said:
As as everyone who has seen my pic knows I am a fan of the mohawk! : )
***HOWEVER*** Now that Im also a Mom my view is this........If it is against school policy DONT DO IT!
I myself got kicked out of high school for the way I looked.Did my parents sue the school? No. I homeschooled until I found a school where it wasnt an issue (the school I got kicked out of was a very conservative,small high school).They shouldve made me change my hair *but* thats a whole different story I digress.........

My son wants a mohawk and I told him no because-TA DA!-its against the rules.
School is not the place for "expressing yourself".That is done the 82% of the time youre not in school.
The school also doesnt allow "unnatural" hair color so my son is only allowed to color his hair during the summer.Hes an honor student btw and understands that his #1 priority now is school.He has joking called me "hypocritical" but he also seems to understand I have only his best interests at heart and is a great kid.
He can be "cool" but not during school hours-period.
Children do not have "rights" as adults do.These parents either need to teach their son this fact as well as teaching personal responsibilty or put their son in another school-period.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Funny - its always us parents of honor students who feel this way. :waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec: :)

Jeana (DP) said:
Funny - its always us parents of honor students who feel this way. :waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec: :)

Yeah Ive noticed this too............ :eek: You dont think theres a connection do you???? :confused:

:D

The real reason that the boy is wearing an outlandish haircut is to be contrary to rules and to rebel against authority. By reacting to him and kicking him out, he wins in his own mind. If either his parents or some old geezer had told him how "cool" his hair was, he would cut it quickly.

I agree, I think this kid is just trying to get attention and rebel - and his parents are condoning his behavior.

Kids need to learn to live by rules.
He can have his hair anyway he wants on the weekends and in the summer - but during school, he needs to follow the rules..

He will have the same issues when he looks for a job.. If his boss says no to the hair, is he going to do it anyway ???

In my daughters school, if they wear shorts in the warmer months, the shorts have to come down below their hands when their arms down to their sides.. If not, it's a vioaltion of the rules and a parent will be called.

Rules people, there are rules...

Jeana (DP) said:
Sure he does!! He can look any way he likes. Right now, he's looking like that FROM THE PARKING LOT - now no one has to look at him!! :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:

wow - that's mature. Calling people names when logic fails seems to be becoming a bit of habit. I would suggest rereading the TOS.

tuppence said:
wow - that's mature. Calling people names when logic fails seems to be becoming a bit of habit. I would suggest rereading the TOS.

Honey, I was not calling any member here a name. I helped write the TOS, so I don't gotta read 'em. :angel: Oh, and my logic never fails. :innocent:

tuppence said:

Huh ??? :confused:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back