The Vanishing Libel Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapphireSteel

Reaction score
This case is no longer about Madeleine, if in fact it ever really was.

Now hopefully the performance is drawing to an end. The final acts of the farce are unwinding in front of our eyes.

In five short months Team McCann has gone from a continued, intense attack against Goncalo Amaral, hounding him through one court after another for damages for his "libel". Needless to say, this trial has been hotly antipated by Madeleine supporters who are desperate for someone to start speaking while under oath, anyone will do.

It almost beggars belief that the parents of a missing child would sue the lead detective for $1.5 million...as if it will bring their daughter back...but this seems to escape both the British public and the media combined.

THE parents of Madeleine McCann are hoping to win a £1million libel payout this month from a former cop who claims they lied about their daughter’s disappearance...Their lawyer, Isabel Duarte, told The Sun: “We reasonably expect compensation for the dreadful damages this book has brought the family.”

The case is due to start in Lisbon on the 13th.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...n-parents-1m-bid-over-lies.html#ixzz2Jbqfl1Zx

This was still the line up until mere days ago. All of a sudden, after literally years of threats, slander, personal and legal attacks upon Amaral, Team McCann approach Amaral's lawyers with the offer of a settlement.

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/madeleine-mccann-scotland-yard-back-in-portugal/27582

That's right. At the very last second, the complainants wish to settle and come to an out -of -court agreement (which no doubt will have gag orders as part of the deal).

The same complainants who have been hunting Amaral through various courts for four years.

Why this sudden backflip, which occurred almost literally on the eve of the libel trial commencing?

Is the arrival of Scotland Yard officers in Portugal on 24 Jan 2013 coincidental to this sudden desire for conciliation? Is this an indication that we are beginning to see the facade crumble?

Are the McCanns suddenly feeling very nervous indeed?

We can only hope.

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/madeleine-mccann-scotland-yard-back-in-portugal/27582

Hmmm I wonder if that will suddenly be adjourned as well?

I really don't think these people wish to be in a courtroom under oath, at all, ever.

That's the problem when you start sueing people for libel. You have to prove what they said is actually libellous.

The McCanns cannot do that.

Hmmm I wonder if that will suddenly be adjourned as well?

I really don't think these people wish to be in a courtroom under oath, at all, ever.

That's the problem when you start sueing people for libel. You have to prove what they said is actually libellous.

The McCanns cannot do that.

Exactly

in the first case they want to sue a policeman who was just doing their job and reporting on what the whole police team thought, now fhey are glong after a pensionser who has been a bit vocal about notbelieving the abductionstory and want him crucified lets see, judges are not stupid i hope the mccanns lose for their nasty vexatious litigation, perhaps they should spend the publica donations on searching and not suing

What happnes next willl be extremely interesting. Good luck to Tony Bennett!

The McCanns have not settled out of court, they offered to settle out of court if their requests were met. They were not so they are going back to court.
In the EU, the courts try to get people to settle out of court as much as possible. If people do not try to settle out of court they are unlikely to be awarded costs even if they win unless they cna demonstrate the defendent was so obtuse that there wa sno point negotiating. Therefore by attempting to settle out of court the McCanns have ensured that they stand the best chance of being awarded damages if they win.

Amaral has not reported the police's findings, he was only ever on the case for a few months. His book contains many things which are factually incorrect both from a scientific point of view and as to the actual circumstances.

As for tony Bennett he was not a pensioner when he started this, and he has not just been voicing opinions. He has been outright lying about the mccanns and twisting the facts. The mccanns are not his first victims, lets face it he was found guilty of conduct unbefitting a solicitor years before madeleine disappeared, then there is Barrymore, balkwell etc.
Also despite bennetts claims the mccanns have not used the fund to pay CR, they did it on conditional fee arrangement. Bennett is a fool, if one actually looks at his writings one will see he has been told this by carter ruck, and just ignored it, and then made up costs using his own guesstimations, and included court cases that the mccanns are not even involved in, and in many cases he multiplied his guesses by a factor of ten!!

Oh and the judge crucified him. He could have just given him a minimal fine, but instead he got a suspended prison sentence, costs awarded against him, a scathing judgement from the judge, and the judge decided to not repeat Bennetts claims against the mccanns despite having this option claiming that as well as the verbose nature of Bennetts writings it would be unfair to the mccanns to have them repeated as part of a court document.

On the eve of the eagerly-awaited "libel" trial, the McCanns are yet again ignoring police advice.

Mrs McCann's attendance in court is understood to be against the advice of Scotland Yard detectives who are attempting to launch their own investigation in the Algarve to try to solve the six-year mystery.

The couple are suing disgraced detective Goncalo Amaral for £1 million over allegations he made about the fate of Madeleine, who disappeared from an apartment in Praia da Luz shortly before her fourth birthday in May, 2007.

It is feared that her presence in Portugal will provoke a media circus and further aggravate Portuguese authorities as the Scotland Yard team seek cooperation to carry out their own inquiries on Portuguese soil.

A source said: "Because of the sensitivity of the situation, police don't want the McCanns anywhere near the country because they fear it could turn into a media circus.

"The Met police are worried it will create a bigger platform for Mr Amaral and his supporters to spout more bile and could damage their own inquiries in the country.

"It will be bad enough having all the old allegations dragged up again and repeated. No doubt Mr Amaral will want to say his bit outside the court and it will all flare up again. It will not be helpful for the Yard."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ibel-trial-over-Madeleines-disappearance.html

The McCanns have consistently disregarded the LE agencies trying to find their daughter, so this latest twist is no real surprise.

Kate has been instructed not to go as it may damage the chances of finding Madeleine.

Yet, she ignores this advice. She is expected to speak on the court house steps before and after also, further inflaming the Portugese, no doubt.

Why doesn't she care about this? :dunno: I would praise the Devil himself if I thought he could help me find my baby.

I am waiting for baited breath for the outcome of this "trial".

Libel has to be proven as false, and as no one knows what happened to Madeleine, Amaral's book cannot be said to be libel.

I also note that neither McCann is testifying. I find this incredibly odd, as they are seeking damages...shouldn't they be obliged to speak about those damages?

Apparently not.

Apparently the fact that they lost their attempt to censor the book and get it off the shelves, hasn't slowed them down one bit.

Madeleine isn't going to be found in a courtroom so it's a mystery why they are so litigious.

:banghead:

Money grubbing and fame chasing.

She has been TOLD not to go.

They harassed and harangued until SY agreed to reopen the case, and the very first thing they do is go against SY wishes and advice.

Such is the ego of the sociopath.

What on earth is she going to say to the media? Nothing she hasn't said before, a million times.'

I wonder if she will speak to the media when they lose - or just sneak away like it never happened.

The Daily Mail has footage of her speaking to the press before the hearing even starts.

She is there to "stop the damage caused to her family" by Amaral's book.

I would have thought the damage was caused when they skipped off for dinner leaving their babies alone and afraid, but heck...it's all clearly Amaral's fault.

She also mentions the book hampering the search for their daughter...that would be the search they cancelled a year ago?

I think she was probably underwhelmed and disappointed at the attention this is causing in Portugal - negative or otherwise - there was hardly anyone there to listen to her but a handful of paps.

Maybe the Portugese are sick of the name McCann?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lion-libel-trial-Portuguese-police-chief.html

:dunno:

Kate McCann suing Portugal police - YouTube

the old sorry frail distraught grieving look victim hard done by by dr evil five years later, when for the past few years she has been happy as larry, on tv couches, couldnt make it up

Oscar nominations?

who the hell does she think she is kidding?

I pewked in my mouth a little bit when I saw her.

I think she was disappointed in the lack of media. Three or four manky European (probably Portugese reporting the local) turning up with cameras.

Hardly what she is used to.

Of course, as she's been instructed NOT TO GO by Scotland Yard, she knew better as always and had to go anyway. There might be a camera there.

Scotland Yard - do not go
Kate - but I want to
SY - you will offend the Portugese and make it even harder to find your daughter
Kate - I don't care.

:sick:

An interesting snippet -

sbm

Santos de Oliveira, Gonçalo Amaral's lawyer...gave an impromptu press conference. He said he would only talk because Kate McCann had done so outside the court session on Thursday...the lawyer said that the book was written with information contained in the criminal inquiry [to Madeleine's disappearance] and that the trial that is now taking place is about the crime of expressing an opinion..."There never was any formal criminal complaint and I find it very odd that one year had gone by since the publication of the book until a complaint for compensation was made," said Santos de Oliveira, who also recalled that Madeleine McCann's death "is considered as an hypothesis in the archiving dispatch" Santos de Oliveira also told that they had requested for the trial to take place behind closed doors to respect Maddie's memory. The child's parents were the ones who preferred a public trial.

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id232.html

Which fits in with Kate going against LE advice, also speaking on the steps to media.

She wants publicity. So where's Gerry?

:dunno:

One of the rag tabloids in England had the headline screaming that Kate McCann had nearly been driven to suicide because of this book. Erm hello missus, you left your child alone in a room despite knowing she didn't want to be left, her body hasn't been found, but a book is driving you to suicidal feelings? Blooming heck!

Which is exactly why she was advised not to attend in the first place.

And why she ignored that advice.

It's "all about Kate" - always has been.

Patsy Ramsey and Kate McCann - both use their dead daughters for air time, to sell books, to endender publicity for themselves.

Both preferred to use the phone to summons attention, instead of looking for their child in the first minutes. Neither searched, literally.

Both called priests...priests to administer to themselves, not their child.

Kate in fact wasn't even that religious prior to Madeleine vanishing.

:cow:

As usual, nothing runs as expected where the McCanns are concerned.

Gerry has flown in to Portugal and made an impromptu application to the judge to be "lead witness".

I note that this information has been released, yet again, by Clarry Mitchell, who no doubt also advised the paps of when his plane landed so we could have some Gerry In Charge shots, illustrating him rushing into the fray. :pullhair:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/madeleine-mccann-dad-gerry-face-2307848

God alone knows what he suddenly finds so important to say, after initially remaining at home with the twins.

It remains to be seen if his application will be accepted by the judge.

Is this the behaviour of a control freak? The McCanns both were told by SY not to attend, Kate ignored this advice, now Gerry. :dunno:

What on earth has just occurred to him, half way through the hearing, that has caused his very belated application to speak?

It seems obvious that something said or done at the hearing has triggered his sudden decision to not only attend, but also be "lead witness". This libel case has been years in the planning, there can be nothing impromptu for him to suddenly speak about...or can there?

:cow:

The entire point of the libel trial is the McCann claim that the book's falsities affected the search for Madeleine.

Here we have a frustrated Gerry, who had flown to Portugal at the last minute to give evidence, but the hearing is delayed unexpectedly -

He told journalists after the judge's decision: "Kate and I know better than anyone else what we've experienced and what we've gone through, and the facts of the file, and the damage that's been caused to the search for Madeleine. I'll do what it takes."

There it is. The ego. It's always, always about Kate and Gerry.

The sentence should read, "Kate and I know better than anyone else the damage that's been caused to the search for Madeleine".

:sick:

One of the rag tabloids in England had the headline screaming that Kate McCann had nearly been driven to suicide because of this book. Erm hello missus, you left your child alone in a room despite knowing she didn't want to be left, her body hasn't been found, but a book is driving you to suicidal feelings? Blooming heck!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ntemplated-suicide-after-detectives-book.html

Mr Pike, who was assigned to the McCanns by tour operator Mark Warner just days after Madeleine’s disappearance, said: “She spent many days in tears and sobbing at the injustice done to Madeleine by the very people who should be helping her.”

Yeah, her parents should have been there for her but weren't. No, wait, that's not what he meant.

Mr Pike who works for a centre treating traumatised families, said the book published in July 2008 had provoked “secondary trauma” that can be “more profound, deep-seated and often more extreme,” than the initial shock of losing a child.

If Madeleine is alive and her abductor is letting her read the news I'm sure she'll be thrilled to hear from a professional that her mom was more upset about a book than her daughter's disappearance . Sheesh... is this supposed to be helping to fix their image and convince people that it's all about Madeleine...???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77