Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #11

Status
Not open for further replies.

fran

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Please continue the discussion here:

At least 26 dead in shooting at Connecticut elementary school

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/1...-connecticut-elementary-school/#ixzz2F3id8S00

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Thread #5

Thread #6

Thread #7

Thread #8

Thread #9

Thread #10

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Of...own-Victims-in-School-Massacre-183652041.html
Officials Release Names of Newtown Victims in School Massacre

Children:
Charlotte Bacon, 6
Daniel Barden, 7
Olivia Engel, 6
Josephine Gay, 7
Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 6
Dylan Hockley, 6
Madeleine F. Hsu, 6
Catherine V. Hubbard, 6
Chase Kowalski, 7
Jesse Lewis, 6
James Mattioli, 6
Grace McDonnell, 7
Emilie Parker, 6
Jack Pinto, 6
Noah Pozner, 6
Caroline Previdi, 6
Jessica Rekos, 6
Aveille Richman, 6
Benjamin Wheeler, 6
Allison N. Wyatt, 6

Adults:
Dawn Hochsprung, 47
Rachel Davino, 29
Anne Marie Murphy, 52
Lauren Rousseau, 30
Mary Sherlach, 56
Victoria Soto, 27
Nancy Lanza

Continue here and please.

Please stay on topic.

Do not talk about the conspiracy theory floating around the internet about the Sandy Hook tragedy. There has been absolutely no proven truth to this rumor and adds nothing to the conversation.

Do not let the conversation drift into gun control as there's a separate thread for that.

Bill to help Newtown police faces obstacles

John Pirro, Published 7:25 pm, Saturday, February 2, 2013

NEWTOWN -- The town's police officers are becoming increasingly frustrated by state lawmakers' lack of progress on a proposal to extend worker's compensation benefits to first responders affected by the murders of 20 children and six adults at the Sandy Hook <modsnip>

Read more: http://www.newstimes.com/policerepo...lp-Newtown-police-faces-obstacles-4246109.php

Growing a kitchen fund at Newtown Friends School

Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:30 pm | Updated: 5:38 pm, Sat Feb 2, 2013.

By Gwen Shrift, Staff Writer

<modsnip>

Little kids rip apart mats of fresh, fragrant soft pretzels, count them carefully, then scurry down the halls at Newtown Friends School to deliver them to classmates.

It&#8217;s philanthropy in action. Every week the fifth grade runs a school-wide pretzel sale to raise money for Thanksgiving dinners and holiday gift cards for families with children in the Head Start Program.

This year, the pretzels have a new twist. The Bucks County Emergency Homeless Shelter needs lots of dough for a new kitchen. Each bite of a soft pretzel at Newtown Friends helps ensure a square meal in the future for a shelter resident.

&#8220;It&#8217;s called Buck Up Bucks County,&#8221; said fifth-grader Claire O&#8217;Hearn, referring to a fundraising campaign sponsored by the Bucks County Courier Times, The Intelligencer, Comcast and the Family Service Association, which runs the shelter.

Read more: http://www.phillyburbs.com/my_town/...cle_19c1927c-f3e9-56df-b853-f1cec3ed84e8.html

<modsnip>

Article by: DEBBI MORELLO, Associated Press
Updated: February 2, 2013 - 4:41 PM

SOUTHBURY, Conn. - As she recalled the afternoon of Dec. 14, Nicole Paquette, past president of the Connecticut Funeral Directors Association, stopped to compose herself, but the tears kept running down her face.

"I will never forget reading the fax," Paquette said. "We all knew young children were killed, but when we saw their names, then the comma, and then the numbers 6 or 7 after their names, for their age, we all broke down."

Read more: http://www.startribune.com/nation/189519611.html

Connecticut funeral directors meet after Newtown school shooting, pay tribute to victims

Article by: DEBBI MORELLO, Associated Press
Updated: February 2, 2013 - 4:41 PM

SOUTHBURY, Conn. - As she recalled the afternoon of Dec. 14, Nicole Paquette, past president of the Connecticut Funeral Directors Association, stopped to compose herself, but the tears kept running down her face.

"I will never forget reading the fax," Paquette said. "We all knew young children were killed, but when we saw their names, then the comma, and then the numbers 6 or 7 after their names, for their age, we all broke down."

Read more: http://www.startribune.com/nation/189519611.html

So many people affected by this tragedy in ways I cannot imagine. :please:

Growing a kitchen fund at Newtown Friends School

Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:30 pm | Updated: 5:38 pm, Sat Feb 2, 2013.

By Gwen Shrift, <modsnip>

Little kids rip apart mats of fresh, fragrant soft pretzels, count them carefully, then scurry down the halls at Newtown Friends School to deliver them to classmates.

It&#8217;s philanthropy in action. Every week the fifth grade runs a school-wide pretzel sale to raise money for Thanksgiving dinners and holiday gift cards for families with children in the Head Start Program.

This year, the pretzels have a new twist. The Bucks County Emergency Homeless Shelter needs lots of dough for a new kitchen. Each bite of a soft pretzel at Newtown Friends helps ensure a square meal in the future for a shelter resident.

&#8220;It&#8217;s called Buck Up Bucks County,&#8221; said fifth-grader Claire O&#8217;Hearn, referring to a fundraising campaign sponsored by the Bucks County Courier Times, The Intelligencer, Comcast and the Family Service Association, which runs the shelter.

Read more: http://www.phillyburbs.com/my_town/...cle_19c1927c-f3e9-56df-b853-f1cec3ed84e8.html

Sorry but not the same Newtown.

After 12-14, George Hochsprung clings to his optimism

He hasn't returned to the classroom since his wife died.

"I can't go back to school," Hochsprung said. "I've always been enthusiastic about teaching, and I wanted to leave at the top of my game. But I'm not the same person. I've decided not to go back."

Instead, he's nearly moved completely out of their condo and into the house he and his wife built last year on a lake in the Adirondacks, where Dawn had installed bunk beds for their 11 grandchildren. The move accelerates a path he and his wife had made for their future.

They had sold their condominium and beloved 38-foot Catalina sailboat to pay for the new house, and they had moved into a smaller condo.

Dawn had begun a two-year doctoral program at Russell Sage College in New York. After she was done, the two planned to move to the lake. Dawn would become a superintendent and Hochsprung would teach nearby for a while.

"We built it as our dream," he said. "I don't know if it can be my dream."

Remembering Our Beloved Cousin, Lauren Rousseau

I will always remember Lauren as the quirky, thoughtful cousin, someone who always put others before herself.

I have never seen her so happy than when we saw her just a few short weeks ago on Thanksgiving. She was beaming. She had achieved her dream of teaching, and she had sweet Tony by her side — someone as equally carefree and caring as her.

In the past, these tragedies unfolded like a piece of fiction. I felt little connection to the stories emerging as the media frenzy ensued. In a way, I am still hoping to wake up from this awful dream. And to continue to share in all of life’s milestones together. But that is not possible anymore. There will be an infinite solitude in those milestones.

There is a void in my life, and in all of the lives of those who knew you. We love you, Lauren.

I do not believe he targeted the teachers. As new and sub teachers, they would not have had a relationship with him.

Let's hope something can be recovered from the computer that gives an indication of how he turned into a monster

I do not believe he targeted the teachers. As new and sub teachers, they would not have had a relationship with him.

Let's hope something can be recovered from the computer that gives an indication of how he turned into a monster

I don't think he targeted anyone specifically either. Well except for his mother.

I hope they don't stop with just his computer hard drive. If he was playing online games, that would have required a credit card in most cases. They can track down his online persona that way and see who his online "friends" were.

Superbowl:

That was amazing - brought tears to my eyes. I just kept wondering what those children had seen and I knew what they had been subjected to.

It was an absolutely beautiful tribute and a wonderful performance by the children and Jennifer Hudson!

JMHO

Superbowl:

That was amazing - brought tears to my eyes. I just kept wondering what those children had seen and I knew what they had been subjected to.

It was an absolutely beautiful tribute and a wonderful performance by the children and Jennifer Hudson!

JMHO

It was a beautiful song. I had forgotten that Jennifer Hudson is also a victim of gun violence.

I also remember that the last "happy" moment at Sandy Hook was the school chorus Christmas concert held the night of Dec. 13, the day before the attack.

Anne, Amy, and Beth: Three Daughters Share Their Pain at the Loss of Dawn Hochsprung, Heroic Sandy Hook Principal

Anne: On my fridge there is a photo of my sisters and me with our dad; our faces filled with joy and smiles. For ten years, Dawn made my dad so incredibly happy. She put a smile on his face and, albeit cheesy, the spring in his step. I find myself looking at that picture daily and willing that smile to come back to my dad’s face. His life has been turned upside down, his well-laid plans for the future are now in pieces and the sparkle in his eyes has gone out.

Amy: This fall, as I struggled through my own tough time, I grew to value and appreciate her even more - for her constant support, her phone calls and texts when other people in my life remained silent. I feel so thankful that a week before she was killed I sent her a card telling her that. It was open on the counter when I got down to Connecticut on that awful Friday night, carrying both my sleepy 2-year-old daughter and my shock in my arms. I’m thankful that she read it in time.

Grieving Newtown couple raise money for autism

Josephine Gay's mother could not be with her in her final, harrowing minutes inside Sandy Hook Elementary School. She struggles with it every day, but she has taken comfort from learning that Josephine's aide wrapped her arms and body around her and other children, shielding them from the horror of a rampaging gunman.

The dying actions of Josephine's behavioral therapist, Rachel D'Avino, were hardly surprising to the girl's mother. D'Avino and other educators had close bonds with 7-year-old Josephine, who was autistic and could not speak.

"She protected them and provided them with comfort and love when they really needed it," Michele Gay said in an interview. "I can't say enough about the people that worked with Joey. They were amazing."

"If I didn't believe in God it would be really difficult to go on and handle this because I miss her," Bob Gay said. "I can still feel her hug when I'd get home at night."

The couple said they are better people for having had Josephine in their lives.

"She was just an extraordinary gift to our family," Michele Gay said. "She challenged us to do better and to love more every day. She taught us to be very patient and persistent. She was absolutely brimming with God's love, and she shared it with everyone."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth