Identified! OK - Tulsa, BlkFem Skeletal 775UFOK, 18-26, near Lake Yahola, Dec'92 *Greta Riles*

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 775UFOK
http://doenetwork.org/cases/775ufok.html
NamUs UP 5104 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5104
775UFOK.jpg
775UFOK2.jpg
775UFOK3.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified Black Female

The victim was discovered on December 9, 1992 in Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma.
Estimated Date of Death: 1990 to 1992.
Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 18-26 years old.
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4" to 5'6" and unknown weight.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark brown or black hair with a tight curl. Unknown eye color.
Clothing: Hairnet.
Jewelry: A small plastic hair barrette which is designed to appear in the shape of 3 yellow clamshells.
Dentals: Available. No restorations.
Fingerprints: Not available.

Case History
The victim was found in the 5700 block of North Harvard in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on December 9, 1992.

Here's a new addition to NamUs:

Greta Laura Riles
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19128/0

af2cfee5-76e5-4f42-bb4c-7ec60b0bfdfe.jpg
bf4c7cd5-8dcf-45d5-8f9c-97d60f87d14c.jpg

* Timeline: LKA June 21, 1991 - Within estimated postmortem interval (1990-1992)
* Location LKA: Tulsa OK - Same City where UID was found.
* Age: 22 to 23 - In the middle of UID's estimated age range (18 to 26)
* Height: 62" (5 feet 2 inches), shorter than height estimate (5'4" to 5'6")
* Resemblance: She has a very similar facial shape.

The one negative is height. However, I've seen enough botched height estimates that I don't think this is too much of a negative, considering that everything else seems in-line.

CarlK, did you submit this one or hear back on it? I thought the two profiles were worth looking into so curious how it panned out. Thanks!

Yes, I did submit to Michael Nance back in February. No, I never heard back.

Carl, did you ever hear back?

Tests are still not complete for this JD's DNA.

Identified as Greta Riles.

Authorities identify woman's remains found 25 years ago near Mohawk Park

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/authorities-identify-remains-found-years-ago-near-mohawk-park/article_b5231f2a-6d66-558e-b6cb-e19bb1cabfe3.html

Twenty-five years after a hunter found a skull near Mohawk Park, authorities identified the remains as a woman who wasn't reported missing until a decade after her disappearance.

Greta Riles, 22 or 23 years old at the time of her disappearance, was identified as the partial remains found in 1992 in the 5800 block of North Harvard Avenue, according to a news release from the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office.

why wouldn't they have checked her against parole absconders? wow. anyways RIP Greta.

RIP Greta. So glad she was identified. Good job, Carl!

why wouldn't they have checked her against parole absconders?

If anything, they would have put her on some kind of a "Fugitive" list. Families/friends probably wouldn't report someone missing if finding them means that they'd have to go to jail. That's probably why there are so many missing persons that aren't ever reported as missing.

Whoa. Carl scores another one! Way to go.

Rest in peace, Greta. I'm glad you have your family back. My condolences to them.
Wow! Really no it was not Carl. I was on Tulsa County Sheriffs Office Cold Case Task Force and had her identified properly after having discussions with different parties such as medical examiner ect. This was after and deputy identified the person wrong and had to retract his press release several years earlier. You can check the record to see all my notes. I dont appreciate people taking the credit for what others did. She was identified And I remember it very clearly because CID came up to my office and told me I was right. I am just glad she is identified however don’t take credit for others work. Not cool!!! I came across this article after trying to print out our report and your article came up.

Wow! Really no it was not Carl. I was on Tulsa County Sheriffs Office Cold Case Task Force and had her identified properly after having discussions with different parties such as medical examiner ect. This was after and deputy identified the person wrong and had to retract his press release several years earlier. You can check the record to see all my notes. I dont appreciate people taking the credit for what others did. She was identified And I remember it very clearly because CID came up to my office and told me I was right. I am just glad she is identified however don’t take credit for others work. Not cool!!! I came across this article after trying to print out our report and your article came up.

Kimber70. It's not about taking the "credit" for identifying an unidentified person. It's about identifying that person so that their family can have some sort of closure. That's what we do here. I know CarlK personally and I can tell you his number one priority is assisting families to find their loved ones. Taking "credit" for an ID is one thing he can care less about. You on the other hand....

Hi, Kimber70! Welcome to Websleuths and thank you for your hard work on the TCSO Cold Case Task Force! As a random user with no interest other than to hopefully clarify a thing or two, I can assure you that LEOs and all others who dedicate their time and talents to crime and investigations regarding UIDs, etc. are highly respected and appreciated here by most members and ALL mods, staff, etc. and WS owner, Tricia.

With all due respect to you and in my humble opinion based on the messages posted, I don't see where Carl took "credit" for anything. Rather, carbuff offered kudos to CarlK in the posted comment (From Carbuff's post above--"Whoa. Carl scores another one! Way to go."). I interpret the compliment to mean CarlK "scored" by simply (which isn't meant to imply simple sleuthing abilities!) introducing Ms. Riles as a potential match and following up by contacting Mr. Nance, the NamUs rep. I agree with carbuff that CarlK rightfully so deserves a shout out.

Hunting potential matches is what many of us WSers do because we care! CarlK deserved the recognition given just as he deserves respect from you. You deserve congrats and respect for your work and I'd stand up and speak on your behalf as well. But, it'd serve you and other investigators well to realize and remember that "credit" isn't being taken from officials when WSers make posts such as this one. Credit is being given to a member because in our WS world and most often without the investigative answers and tools LE and other investigators (e.g., MEs, anthros, scientists, etc.) may have at their disposal, Sleuthers go above and beyond to HELP you do your jobs more effectively and efficiently. For most of us it's like an unofficial partnership between LE and the public, to whom most LE organizations turn when they need answers that are alluding the investigation.

Perhaps you should spend some time reading through many of the UID posts, current and dated ones, to see just how much effort and passion (yes, that overused word, but that's what it is for most of us here) go into these cases. 99.999% of the time you'll see nothing but respectful comments regarding LE. Criticisms are given when warranted (imo) but overall it's about working together to give someone's identity back, seek justice on their behalf if applicable, and to reunite the deceased with their loved ones. We'd all love to be famous, but few will ever be, and we're okay with that. CarlK, well, he's already made his name in the WS world and even more importantly, in the official circles of UID investigations. His name is Carl Koppelman. Just do a quick web search and you'll see he's earned his reputation! Prove me wrong with a link or official document, but I don't think you will ever find in any kind of search a time when Mr. Koppelman complained about any "credit" he deserved, wasn't given, or was taken by another. Not everyone is out for fame and notiriety. On the forums of WS you'll rarely find that that is the case.

Thanks for stopping by and good luck in your career. Before I close I'll offer an unsolicited tip though, from an old granny girl--

Learn to share in celebrations of solved cases or parts of cases. Group work is vital to your field of business. Alienating and/or criticising people will eventually prove to hamper your successes rather than to enhance them. It's not ever going to be about a single person. Never...

Oh, and good job too on throwing the Deputy under the bus in your comment. I'll pray you never make an investigatory mistake--but you will. Therefore, I'll also pray for you to have a blessed time typing up your draft of any retraction statements you'll have to make.

Good day!
NEWS_170129811_EP_-1_WAEJGZMHONQT.jpg

Can you please link us to the notes? I'm not finding them. Was one of the people you consulted with (besides the medical examiner) connected to the person who Carl made the tip to more than four years prior to her identification? As demonstrated by the date stamps in the above thread?

Hi, Kimber70! Welcome to Websleuths and thank you for your hard work on the TCSO Cold Case Task Force! As a random user with no interest other than to hopefully clarify a thing or two, I can assure you that LEOs and all others who dedicate their time and talents to crime and investigations regarding UIDs, etc. are highly respected and appreciated here by most members and ALL mods, staff, etc. and WS owner, Tricia.

With all due respect to you and in my humble opinion based on the messages posted, I don't see where Carl took "credit" for anything. Rather, carbuff offered kudos to CarlK in the posted comment (From Carbuff's post above--"Whoa. Carl scores another one! Way to go."). I interpret the compliment to mean CarlK "scored" by simply (which isn't meant to imply simple sleuthing abilities!) introducing Ms. Riles as a potential match and following up by contacting Mr. Nance, the NamUs rep. I agree with carbuff that CarlK rightfully so deserves a shout out.

Hunting potential matches is what many of us WSers do because we care! CarlK deserved the recognition given just as he deserves respect from you. You deserve congrats and respect for your work and I'd stand up and speak on your behalf as well. But, it'd serve you and other investigators well to realize and remember that "credit" isn't being taken from officials when WSers make posts such as this one. Credit is being given to a member because in our WS world and most often without the investigative answers and tools LE and other investigators (e.g., MEs, anthros, scientists, etc.) may have at their disposal, Sleuthers go above and beyond to HELP you do your jobs more effectively and efficiently. For most of us it's like an unofficial partnership between LE and the public, to whom most LE organizations turn when they need answers that are alluding the investigation.

Perhaps you should spend some time reading through many of the UID posts, current and dated ones, to see just how much effort and passion (yes, that overused word, but that's what it is for most of us here) go into these cases. 99.999% of the time you'll see nothing but respectful comments regarding LE. Criticisms are given when warranted (imo) but overall it's about working together to give someone's identity back, seek justice on their behalf if applicable, and to reunite the deceased with their loved ones. We'd all love to be famous, but few will ever be, and we're okay with that. CarlK, well, he's already made his name in the WS world and even more importantly, in the official circles of UID investigations. His name is Carl Koppelman. Just do a quick web search and you'll see he's earned his reputation! Prove me wrong with a link or official document, but I don't think you will ever find in any kind of search a time when Mr. Koppelman complained about any "credit" he deserved, wasn't given, or was taken by another. Not everyone is out for fame and notiriety. On the forums of WS you'll rarely find that that is the case.

Thanks for stopping by and good luck in your career. Before I close I'll offer an unsolicited tip though, from an old granny girl--

Learn to share in celebrations of solved cases or parts of cases. Group work is vital to your field of business. Alienating and/or criticising people will eventually prove to hamper your successes rather than to enhance them. It's not ever going to be about a single person. Never...

Oh, and good job too on throwing the Deputy under the bus in your comment. I'll pray you never make an investigatory mistake--but you will. Therefore, I'll also pray for you to have a blessed time typing up your draft of any retraction statements you'll have to make.

Good day!
NEWS_170129811_EP_-1_WAEJGZMHONQT.jpg

Perhaps, you should get to know why I typed that. I re-read my comment and it was not typed in which the way I intended it at all. However, did yall bother to message me and ask no! You just assumed. Anyhow does no good to explain. Sorry I upset so many people. Wasn't my intention. I have no clue who Carl is but apparently he has alot of friends. So the lady that calls herself Granny. I don't need your comments. I am a 49 yr old woman that knows well how to work as a team. I learned it in the military plus other areas. Don't accuse me of throwing that deputy under the bus because I didn't not. He through himself underneath it along time ago. I was just trying to shed a little light on the history of the case. The rest I cannot share.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back