Your cute pics of a poached Balaeniceps rex chick and an orphaned baby pygmy elephant

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
From - where else - Daily Mail.

'Hi there chap, I'm your new mum': How the pygmy elephant who broke hearts when its mother was poisoned is having fun again
---
Then baby Joe was introduced to Augustin David. Now, in a remarkable bond between man and beast, the keeper has become Joe’s surrogate mum.

Like any parent, Augustin faces a gruelling schedule that requires feeding Joe every two hours, all through the night, with a particular mix of formula milk that the infant has a taste for.

Playtime involves him running Joe around the compound at Lok Kawi zoo near Kota Kinabalu, which the little elephant loves; and persuading him to keep still for bathtime, which he loathes.

‘He has clear likes and dislikes,’ Augustin said. ‘He loves suckling people’s thumbs - just like a human baby, it calms him.'
---
more, with the pics, at the links

Free as a bird! Kapotwe the Shoebill appears to smile as she is released into the wild after being rescued from poachers
---
Kapotwe had other ideas, however. The cheeky bird had never learned to behave like a shoebill, and so had no idea how to catch fish and avoid threats. In fact, says Morgan Trimble, the photographer who captured the amazing pictures of her eventual release into the wild, she was more like a naughty puppy.

'I was asked to photograph her not long after she had been rescued.

'She is naturally very curious about anything that is new and the way she explores things is to gnaw at it with her beak.

'Every morning she woke us with her rooster’s call, then would spend her day investigating the comings and goings on the path to the village, getting into trouble with fishermen for stealing a few fish from their nets, and mingling with other birds and animals in the area.'
---

I can picture Kapotwe perched outside my window, peering in at me some morning when I open the blinds. H-e-l-p! She's cute in her way though. A bit prehistoric, but we all can be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back