Just an Old Fashioned Love Song......

Reader

Reaction score
When Bill met Shelley: No disability could keep them apart

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-disability-could-keep-them-apart/?tid=pm_pop

“If you’re that in love, age doesn’t mean a thing. Even though my mind was young and my heart was young — somewhere inside my head I was mentally old enough.”

–Bill Ott

“You know that scene in ‘Dirty Dancing’ where Baby meets Johnny for the first time? It was kind of like that.”

–Shelley Belgard​

BILL OTT WILL always remember the moment he met Shelley Belgard. It was in spring 1988. He was 12 and sometimes shy. Into music, sports and, suddenly, girls.

Shelley was three years older, chatty and outgoing. They’d both shown up at a Montgomery County social club looking for friends, fun and the kind of acceptance that seems so elusive during teen life.

Shelley smiled. Bill introduced himself. And that was it. “I didn’t know what love was,” he says. “Until I met her.”

He was sure it was the real thing, but nobody ever believes that coming from a 12-year-old.

Certainly not one with Down syndrome...............

picture.php

What a love story! Thanks for posting this.

We had neighbors who had met at a club for young folks with disabilities. His was physical and hers was mental due to strokes at a very young age. They were married for over 30 years before the wife passed away. I hope Bill and Shelley have many happy years together.

What an amazing love story. Brought tears to my eyes. I hope to read a follow up story on their 25th Wedding anniversary. :D

What an incredible story. Thank you so much for sharing!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back