General Discussion Thread #1 -Bail Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paralympic gold medallist Oscar Pistorius has shot and killed his girlfriend, South African media are reporting.
Afrikaans-language newspaper Beeld is reporting he mistook the woman, his girlfriend of a year, for a burglar to his Pretoria home.
Johannesburg's Talk Radio 702 said Pistorius was understood to have shot his girlfriend in the head and arm, although the circumstances surrounding the incident were unclear.
Beeld said Pistorius had been arrested, and was expected to appear in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Thursday.

A police spokeswoman told Reuters that a woman had been found dead at the house but declined to give any more details.
Pistorius, who races wearing carbon fibre prosthetic blades after he was born without a fibula in both legs, was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics and reached the 400 metres semi-finals in London

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. First time starting a thread.

Police added that there had been previous incidents at the address and described them as "allegations of a domestic nature".

From wolf dreamer's link. I don't like the sound of that.

Apparently the police had been called to the house for domestic violence issues before, so it will be interesting to see all the facts come in.

Dh and I were talking about it. Shot 4 times. Sounds really angry and like no accident.

The press conference:

http://youtu.be/BsX8GFKSh6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsX8GFKSh6A&list=UUPgLNge0xqQHWM5B5EFH9Cg&index=3

LE confirms that a shooting took place at OP's house and that a 30 year old woman died on scene of gunshot wounds. A 26 year old has been arrested. (They didn't say it was OP but just kept saying that the incident took place at his house.)

The 26 yo has been taken for a medical exam (I read in other reports that he was extremely distraught) and will appear before the magistrate at 2:00.

When asked if the arrested individual has ever been involved in earlier incidents involving LE, particularly any related to assault or domestic abuse, LE responded that they wouldn't say anything specific to the person arrested but they would say that they had indeed been involved in previous incidents at the home of OP.

Regarding comments coming up in the media about a situation where he shot the woman mistakenly believing she was an intruder did not come from LE. Their forensic investigation is ongoing.

According to his twitter feed, he has a dog. Looks like an English Bull Terrier.

Also in that pic he looks pretty 'bulked up' compared to other photos I've seen, but it might just be that angle.

It's interesting that CNN (and maybe other news sites) have not gone as far as to say it was Pistorius. Although I'm not sure who else it could be if the shooting was done by someone the same age as him and she was mistaken for an 'intruder'.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/world/africa/south-africa-blade-runner-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Police charged a 26-year-old man -- the same age as Pistorius -- with murder in connection with the shooting and said he will appear in a Pretoria magistrate court Thursday afternoon.

But they would not say whether the suspect was Pistorius.

This just doesnt ring true to me, but for sure this is a tragedy all the way around.

He apparently shot her with 4 bullets.

Is that not a sign of pre meditated murder and passionate killing?

Not the normal burglary type where you shoot to stop the intruder but are angry and want them dead no matter what and often seen in crimes of passion?

Can't quite believe this. I was so moved by him at the Olympics last summer and thought originally it must have been an awful tragic mistake. But now the facts are coming through it looks like something alot more sinister. How awful - poor girl, may she rest in peace.

As a side note, I'm surprised that the police have been so quick to say that there have been reports of domestic incidents at the property previously.

Blade Runner Oscar Pistorius charged with murder after 'he accidentally shot dead
his model girlfriend at his luxury South Africa home when he mistook her for an intruder'
(Daily Mail)
• Incident happened at his Pretoria mansion, north of Johannesburg at 4am
• Dead woman is former FHM model Reeva Steenkamp
• She was shot several times in the head, chest and the arm
• Pistorius believed to have told police he thought she was an intruder
• Media reporting it could have been a Valentine's Day surprise gone wrong
• Celebrated sprinter is in police custody before a court hearing tomorrow
• Officers have visited his house before over alleged 'domestic incidents'
the story at the link above

Since he was charged, that should probably be moved into "crimes in the news."

I was moved to from his Olympics, and was quite surprise to see this news... I feel really sad for his girlfriend and her family. I want to know more, if there were signs that her family noticed.

Can't quite believe this. I was so moved by him at the Olympics last summer and thought originally it must have been an awful tragic mistake. But now the facts are coming through it looks like something alot more sinister. How awful - poor girl, may she rest in peace.

As a side note, I'm surprised that the police have been so quick to say that there have been reports of domestic incidents at the property previously.
I remember him being awesome at the able bodied olympics, but he was involved in a bit of controversy at the paralympics over the length of competitors blades. He seemed to show an awful lot of petulance over the whole affair and was portrayed in a bad light via media running up to the final, which he lost after being a red hot favourite to win.

I'm wondering if thats been festering away at him over the months to make him snap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pinkfloyd44!