Meteor shower over Russia sees meteorites hit Earth

~n/t~

Reaction score
Moscow: A meteor shower has rained down on central Russia, sowing panic as hurtling space debris exploded in the air, blew out windows and injured dozens of people.

The Russsian Emergencies Ministry reported a meteoroid exploded in the skies above the Urals region, sending a shock wave that shattered windows.

"A meteorite (sic) disintegrated above the Urals, partially burning up in the lower atmosphere," the local office of the national emergencies ministry said in a statement.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/meteor-shower-over-russia-sees-meteorites-hit-earth-20130215-2ei2j.html

:what:

Wow, that would scare me to pieces. I hope everyone is ok, and not to hurt.

CHL01_RUSSIA_METEORITE.JPG

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-how-big-of-a-threat-are-they/article8711257/

:what::what::what:

OMG, how terrifying!

That chunk out of the lady's leg in the latest dailymail article (n~t's post above this one) is disturbing too!

I hope all is well long term for everyone there.

From the Daily Mail link I posted above

SO WHAT IS A METEORITE?
Meteorites are small pieces of rocky debris that have been captured by the Earth's gravity, pulling them from their paths through space and bringing them crashing down to Earth.
Most are fragments of asteroids that have been shattered by collisions with other asteroids, although some are pieces of Mars or the Moon which have been thrown into space after asteroid collisions with these bodies.
The vary in age depending on their sources.
Meteorites from asteroids are around 4.5billion years old.
Meteorites from the Moon are older than 2.5billion years and meteorites from Mars may be as young as 65million years
Meteorites are distinct from meteoroids, which are smaller. When meteorites plow into the Earth's atmosphere they produce a brief flash of light, known as a meteor.
These were originally thought to be weather phenomena - hence the term meteorology for the study of weather.
The impact of a comet or asteroid 65million years ago is thought to have caused, or at least contributed to, the extinction of around three-quarters of all species living on Earth at the time - including the dinosaurs.
There have been no recorded deaths due to a meteorite fall.
A dog was, however, reputedly killed by the fall of the Nakhla martian meteorite in Egypt in 1911.

Scary. There are Bible and prophecy teachers who believe the book of Joel is speaking about asreroids or meteors. I thinks it's war/weapons at least until the very end because the Bible says men will be destroying the earth, but who knows.

I can understand the nervousness.......it is *awfully* coincidental.......

I can understand the nervousness.......it is *awfully* coincidental.......

Exactly what I was thinking...and a lot of asteroids have (I don't know the right scientific word) little bits that break off and do their own thing...so maybe it is part of tonight's pass?

Just not comfortable about this at all...

Bless their hearts, each and everyone who was impacted (no pun intended) by this "meteorite"...how scary.

And yes, shades of Tunguska indeed.

Best-
Herding Cats

Drudge has an article

Russian lawmaker denies metorite, claims US weapns test :what:

I couldnt open it on this computer, not sure if the link is good.

I seen some tweets also alone this line.

Metorite.jpg

Drudge has an article

Russian lawmaker denies metorite, claims US weapns test :what:

I couldnt open it on this computer, not sure if the link is good.

I seen some tweets also alone this line.

View attachment 29828

Here we go with the conspiracy theories.....

Yes blame America for everything. Good grief.

Not aimed at you QueenD.

http://en.apa.az/news/187943

Queenie's link...

Best-
Herding Cats

bbm

From your link:

He also said US Secretary of State John Kerry had wanted to warn Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov about the “provocation” on Monday, but couldn’t reach him – a reference to US State Department comments earlier this week that Kerry had spent several days trying to speak to Lavrov by phone to discuss North Korea and Syria.
Outer space has its own laws, Zhirinovsky went on.

:rolleyes:

Wow, going to my Astronomy class in about two hours...My professor always tells us about a news story about astronomy every class...I wonder if he will mention this!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back