Too Smart To Be A Cop?

seriously??

WTH

Ha.

Our local police force will not even give you an interview unless you have either a college or university degree and can type 50 words/minute.

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

I don't think intelligence is necessarily correlated with poor tolerance of routine tasks and boredom. I bet many of you know easily bored people who aren't particularly bright. Aren't there any career advancement opportunities in the police force for people who are, like, I don't know... like really good in solving crimes?

An IQ of 125 is not really even an Einstein or a Hawking. Just a normal, very smart person.

Was this in recent news headlines? It's dated in the year 2000.

This kills me. One of my neighbors (and favorite people) is a cop. I guarantee his IQ is through the roof. He's reluctant to move up in the department because he loves what he does and cares about the people in his area. I believe his intelligence is much of what makes him more compassionate and able to relate to others. I'm betting that, in a few years, they're going to see a backlash for these choices. I'm also wondering if there was something else going on here. Maybe something on the psych test that they didn't mention?

I don't think intelligence is necessarily correlated with poor tolerance of routine tasks and boredom. I bet many of you know easily bored people who aren't particularly bright. Aren't there any career advancement opportunities in the police force for people who are, like, I don't know... like really good in solving crimes?

An IQ of 125 is not really even an Einstein or a Hawking. Just a normal, very smart person.

Was this in recent news headlines? It's dated in the year 2000.

Yes, this article was on one of my sites the day I posted it. I always look for dates, but can't always find them.

Apparently, this isn't in the problem in my neck of the woods. Lack of intelligence seems to be the problem. IOW, they give them a ticket book, a car, a gun, and then a year to complete their training. See a problem there?

Either way I see problems - and lots of them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back