5 Top Regrets People Have At the End of Their Lives

I think these statements need to be kept in perspective. The nurse was ASKING these folks, basically asking "if you could change one thing what would it be?" and when asked people will provide an answer of some sort even if the thing they mention isn't really that big of a deal.

I also suspect these answers aren't universal but influenced by the culture and spiritual beliefs (or lack thereof) of the people participating. If these questions were posed to devoutly religious Muslims or Buddhists the answers would probably vary quite a bit.

These were the most common replies, and I think most of them are pretty universal. Yes, some might say they wish they had gone to their worship service more or read their religious book more, but ones such as working too much are extremely common regrets. And people can learn from the others mentioned, as well.

I think these statements need to be kept in perspective. The nurse was ASKING these folks, basically asking "if you could change one thing what would it be?" and when asked people will provide an answer of some sort even if the thing they mention isn't really that big of a deal.

I also suspect these answers aren't universal but influenced by the culture and spiritual beliefs (or lack thereof) of the people participating. If these questions were posed to devoutly religious Muslims or Buddhists the answers would probably vary quite a bit.

I agree. So what would you change?

The one about work seems very American to me as many countries are not work-obsessed as we are and take much more time off to do other things.

Personally I have always hoped to die suddenly, before anyone would have a chance to ask me these questions. Preferably in my sleep, at home, lol.

The one about work seems very American to me as many countries are not work-obsessed as we are and take much more time off to do other things.

Personally I have always hoped to die suddenly, before anyone would have a chance to ask me these questions. Preferably in my sleep, at home, lol.

I also hope to die in my sleep like my uncle did. Not screaming like his passengers on the bus were. :floorlaugh:

Mine would/will be that I regret not having gone into a profession and working at it for years so more inheritance and help could be left for kids but at the same time a regret for worrying too much about lack of money.

I also hope to die in my sleep like my uncle did. Not screaming like his passengers on the bus were. :floorlaugh:

OMG! You owe me a new keyboard! Between you and wfgodot, I need to replenish my supply! LOL:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

The one thing I know I really need to change is telling those people who mean the most to me that I care about them more.

My dad's was that he wished he had not worked so hard and so much. He worked 80 hours a week as a police officer. That is part of what killed him.

I agree. So what would you change?

I can't think of anything that I would change (not saying things are great by a long shot, but that is life).

If people REALLY feel they screwed up and should have changed things in their life then it likely means they never really thought they would die, as in always thought of it as being "way out there" vs realizing it can happen sooner than we think and we will likely have a moment where we think "wow...so I guess this is it".

They think there will always be more time to change things or get around to do things etc...

I think about the end of life frequently, not in an obsessive way but as a realization that our time is limited and that "wow this is it" moment often comes sooner than we think. I also have some strong sense of spirituality so I am not worried about this being a "one shot deal and missing out", I don't know exactly what comes after this but I am quite sure I have no worries about "missing out" on anything if that makes sense.

That's rich! :giggle:

It's no secret our society has placed more value on monetary success, status of employment, and retirement planning, and less on family, friends, quality conversations, and quiet moments of personal contemplation... The latter, of course, come in full force abundance during the last weeks of one's life, and quite naturally (if you're lingering). imo

I can comprehend each and every one these regrets-- and quite a number more. I hope my generation will do themselves justice before the ripe fruit of our earthly endeavors break free to splat on the ground. :sigh:

(heh, a somewhat poetic metaphor :wave: )

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back