NY NY - James Knox, 24, Warsaw, 9 Dec 1979

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I found another photo for a MP who is listed in NamUs with a no-photo casefile. I found it among the freshmen in the 1971 Warsaw (NY) High School yearbook. The book shows portraits only for the seniors. The underclassmen are shown in group photos. Unfortunately, the 1974 book wasn't available, so I could not obtain his senior portrait.

The photo is very poor quality and was taken 8 years prior to his disappearance, but you can get a general sense of what he looked like. It appears that there is some assymetry in his face, and he might have a problem with his left eye, though none of this is mentioned in his NamUs casefile.

NamUs MP # 9602
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9602/9

James Dean Knox

52a46184-c773-41bc-883d-b6ec3856537f.jpg

(Knox, circa 1971, approximately 14-15 years old, and approximately 8 years prior to his disappearance)

LKA
Date Last Seen December 09, 1979
Location LKA Warsaw, New York
Age LKA 24
Circumstances Despondent over health problems.​

Vital Stats
Height 71 inches (5'11")
Weight 150 lbs
Hair Color Brown
Eye Color Blue

Clothing
Red plaid jacket, blue jeans, Black boots, plastic rimmed glasses​

Identifiers
DNA Not Available
Dentals Not Available
Fingerprints Not Available​

Nov 21 2017
http://wivb.com/2017/11/21/state-police-investigating-1979-cold-case/
attachment.php

WARSAW, N.Y. (WIVB) — New York State Police are still investigating a nearly 38-year-old cold case.
When Knox suddenly disappeared, had been living on Wyoming St., and was on medical leave from Leroy Machine Company in Leroy.

Knox is described as white, 5’11” and 150 lbs. He was described as having dark blond hair, blue eyes and glasses.

Anyone with information related to the investigation is asked to call Investigator John Neeley at (585) 786-7244. Callers are asked to refer to case #3029766.

Attachments

• james-dean-knox.png
    james-dean-knox.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 42
I'm glad to see NY police are actively investigating this case still...I do see some similarities between James and the Canadian JD, but I'm not sure about the timing. James went missing Dec 1979, JD was found in April 1980 but estimated date of death 1971-1978, which was before James disappeared. Definitely worth looking into, thought.

James Dean Knox was 24-years-old when he went missing from the Warsaw area in December of 1979. His grandmother reported him missing. An investigation showed that Knox was last seen by friends and local business owners in the village of Warsaw on December 10th and 11th, before he disappeared.

Police say at the time he disappeared, Knox was living on Wyoming Street in Warsaw. He was on medical leave from Leroy Machine Co. in Leroy. He was about 5'11'', weighed 150 lbs. and had dark blond hair and blue eyes. He typically wore glasses.

knox%201_OP_2_CP__1530023181646.png_90823210_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

knox%202_OP_2_CP__1530023628365.png_90823727_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

https://www.wkbw.com/news/search-for-missing-warsaw-man-lasts-38-years

Maybe it's just because I'm overly sensitive to it and these are grainy pictures, but in all 3 photos, there appears to be something off with his left eye. It looks like an eye injury or possibly prosthetic eye?
Also, I'm not finding him in Charley or Doe. Is anyone else finding that as well?
And, does he still not have identifiers? He must have fingerprints, those look like mug shots in the the news article.

Details of Disappearance
Knox was last seen in Warsaw, New York sometime in December 1979. Local friends and business owners in the area saw him on December 10th and 11th and he vanished sometime after that. He has never been heard from again. His grandmother reported him missing on December 21; she hadn't seen him since December 9.

Knox lived on Wyoming Street and was on medical leave from Leroy Machine Co. in Leroy, New York at the time of his disappearance. He was known to frequent a pizzeria in Warsaw. He was despondent over his health issues when he went missing. Few details are available in Knox's case. His disappearance remains unsolved.

James Dean Knox – The Charley Project

Another thing is James disappeared in Dec which would be cold winter and the UID was dressed for winter.

Last edited:
I wonder if they ever checked this guy out That was found in 2017 but were old remains.
North Collins is not that far from Warsaw

NY - NY - North Collins, Male Skeletal Remains buried off Gowanda Rd, Jun'17

I still think this might be him.. from what it says on Charley Project.. He worked for Leroy Machine Shop in Leroy NY.. I am putting a link to the map to show how close Leroy is to North Collins. Also really close is Warsaw, where he lived.

Does anyone know if he has been ruled out to be any UID?

Maps

Last edited:
I still think this might be him.. from what it says on Charley Project.. He worked for Leroy Machine Shop in Leroy NY.. I am putting a link to the map to show how close Leroy is to North Collins. Also really close is Warsaw, where he lived.

Maps

James Knox has 18 rule outs (although it says 28 exclusions) maybe a typo?
Your UP NamUs #UP16804 isn’t on the list,
One issue is that James was despondent over medical issues which leads towards suicide, whereas the UP was buried, but definitely worth more looking into.

There's one Jane Doe where every rule out is hidden, and we know there are some because folks have posted their submission was ruled out. Then there are others who have over 600 listed. I really think it depends on the agency handling the case.

Maps

Did you submit this possible match to NamUs?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back