KS KS - Jennifer Judd, 20, Baxter Springs, 11 May 1992

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
One of a couple area murders - the other being that of the missing and presumed dead Karol Sullens in 1991 - that have stayed unsolved for over 20 years. Jennifer Judd - the Justice for Jennifer signboards are all down now and the bumperstickers have long since faded - was murdered shortly after her wedding day. The possible serial murderer Jeremy Jones has intimated himself into the case (as he has in others, most notably the Freeman-Bible case, also in my area) and in effect at one time claimed responsibility.

From the book Blood Lust, about Jeremy Jones

After 19 years the cold case of Jennifer Judd is renewed (koamtv.com)

Justice for Jennifer, Part 1 (fourstateshomepage.com; videos here)

Justice for Jennifer, Part 2

There's also a Tulsa World article (behind a paywall as I've used my allotment of page views for the month) titled "Justice delayed for 17 years in stabbing death."

So very little on this case that I see doing a quick google search...
She was stabbed to death with a knife in the kitchen of her own home.
Husband of ten days found her.
Her keys were on the living room floor.
Lunch she had packed to take to husband found in front seat of car.
No forensic clues mentioned?

So very little on this case that I see doing a quick google search...
She was stabbed to death with a knife in the kitchen of her own home.
Husband of ten days found her.
Her keys were on the living room floor.
Lunch she had packed to take to husband found in front seat of car.
No forensic clues mentioned?
There could have been though I don't remember any at the time. I'm about 15 miles from Baxter. The victim was from OK, just this side of the line, and had been a student at the college where I taught. There were suspects - well, the public had its ideas. It might be filed either under, They know who did it but don't have the evidence to convict, or They know who did it and that person was protected for some reason by LE.

There could have been though I don't remember any at the time. I'm about 15 miles from Baxter. The victim was from OK, just this side of the line, and had been a student at the college where I taught. There were suspects - well, the public had its ideas. It might be filed either under, They know who did it but don't have the evidence to convict, or They know who did it and that person was protected for some reason by LE.

Is there any more info about this case?
Normally when a new bride is murdered, and stabbed repeatedly it shows anger. So who was so angry with her - a jealous ex of hers? -a jealous ex gf of the husband? -a husband who has found out something or feels deceived in some way?

Would think a sexual assault would be involved if a man were involved..

So sad! Thinking of a gal getting married and then this! Just boggles the mind.

Is there any more info about this case?
Normally when a new bride is murdered, and stabbed repeatedly it shows anger. So who was so angry with her - a jealous ex of hers? -a jealous ex gf of the husband? -a husband who has found out something or feels deceived in some way?

Would think a sexual assault would be involved if a man were involved..

So sad! Thinking of a gal getting married and then this! Just boggles the mind.
The Joplin Globe covered the case but their editions from back then aren't available online.

"The talk" was that a friend of the family was been involved. And of course the husband came under suspicion. No one was ever officially named a suspect.

I believe there was no forced entry, indicating she let her killer in and that person was known to her.

Saw a Justice for Jennifer bumper sticker on a SUV yesterday at the convenience mart. Hadn't seen one of those in years. Looked brand new so somebody still has a supply, some folks have never forgotten. Unsolved murders in very small towns - long after the billboards have faded, the memory of the injustice won't ever die; and won't until there is justice for Jennifer.

I am a little late here but I hadn't seen this thread yet.
I am from Picher and remember when this happen. I am friends with Jennifer's cousins and so I have heard that the family does't think that Jermey Jones was involved, however that was what I heard about 4 or 5 years ago. But he did live next door, and did go on to kill many others.
Someone mention the family friend, well the friend of Justin's. I know the day of the funeral he was acting really more upset than most. I witnessed this myself, I also know that it was mentioned even then that the friend might have had something to do with it. I am in no way saying he did or didn't. Even being a high school student I thought he was behaving over the top.
I know the rumors was all about the husband. I have heard that he was cleared and other times I have heard it wouldn't be so hard to forge his time card, but I do think that he had many witnesses putting him at work. (a weird fact, a year or so later the husband started dating the owner's daughter of the duplex him and Jennifer lived in at the time of her murder)
The KBI weren't the best of investigators either, even though it was in the early days of DNA. I am not too sure if they found anything that might be checked now. I do know the Bryans have been very vocal in the way the KBI either hasn't recheck the evidence or if it was tainted at the crime scene.
A day after her murder the grandmother was made to scrub the blood from the crime scene, I am not saying the KBI failed this investigation but I am not saying that they were the best of investigators.
I have always heard the rumor that either Jennifer knew of a drug ring or seen something she shouldn't and that was the reason she was killed. But Baxter is a small town, so other people would have to have known about the same thing too. I know her murder was overkill and she had complain how someone scared her at her job, so much she asked people to stay with her. I do know someone was also pounding on the door and she was scared. I think her murder was personal and such overkill. I had heard that people who had signs up "justice for jennifer" in their yards would randomly have them taken down, ran over or broken in some way. I remember all that this family has went through and cannot even begin to tell you how much they just want justice.

I am a little late here but I hadn't seen this thread yet.
I am from Picher and remember when this happen. I am friends with Jennifer's cousins and so I have heard that the family does't think that Jermey Jones was involved, however that was what I heard about 4 or 5 years ago. But he did live next door, and did go on to kill many others.
Someone mention the family friend, well the friend of Justin's. I know the day of the funeral he was acting really more upset than most. I witnessed this myself, I also know that it was mentioned even then that the friend might have had something to do with it. I am in no way saying he did or didn't. Even being a high school student I thought he was behaving over the top.
I know the rumors was all about the husband. I have heard that he was cleared and other times I have heard it wouldn't be so hard to forge his time card, but I do think that he had many witnesses putting him at work. (a weird fact, a year or so later the husband started dating the owner's daughter of the duplex him and Jennifer lived in at the time of her murder)
The KBI weren't the best of investigators either, even though it was in the early days of DNA. I am not too sure if they found anything that might be checked now. I do know the Bryans have been very vocal in the way the KBI either hasn't recheck the evidence or if it was tainted at the crime scene.
A day after her murder the grandmother was made to scrub the blood from the crime scene, I am not saying the KBI failed this investigation but I am not saying that they were the best of investigators.
I have always heard the rumor that either Jennifer knew of a drug ring or seen something she shouldn't and that was the reason she was killed. But Baxter is a small town, so other people would have to have known about the same thing too. I know her murder was overkill and she had complain how someone scared her at her job, so much she asked people to stay with her. I do know someone was also pounding on the door and she was scared. I think her murder was personal and such overkill. I had heard that people who had signs up "justice for jennifer" in their yards would randomly have them taken down, ran over or broken in some way. I remember all that this family has went through and cannot even begin to tell you how much they just want justice.
Excellent post; please keep us informed of any- and everything. My NE OK days are gone and I'm in NY now, so I really appreciate hearing from home, as it were, in re: this and other local cases. Thanks.

Interesting - I wonder why her family doesn't think Jeremy Jones was involved? Seems to fit him pretty well, as I glance over his page on murderpedia.....
There is, I think, a presupposition in the area that the crime involved her husband. Few take Jones's candidacy for this or other crimes
(see the Freeman/Bible case) seriously and feel his killings occurred after his move from the area.

I'm starting to wonder. Yes, it seems he would be good for this crime.

A quarter of a century ago -- 25 years ago this Thursday, 11 May 1992 -- someone killed Jennifer Judd. Will we ever find out who the murderer was?

The killing was second in a series of four major crimes in the SEK / NEOK area which are still unsolved: Karol Sullens's disappearance from Galena KS and probable murder in 1991, the Freeman killings and disappearaces of Ashley Freeman and Lauria Bible near Welch OK in 1999, and the double murders of William and Leota Huls near Welch in 2008 have baffled investigators.

Each of the crimes seemed solvable at the time. Who were the suspects? What went wrong? Will there ever be justice for Jennifer?

My name is Mark Garrett. I have been investigating Jennifer's murder for 25 years. I'm a former police officer and an Oklahoma State Licensed Investigator. If anyone has any suggestions or wants to know the status of the case, I would be more than happy to discuss it.

Cold Case Investigations

Mark Garrett

My name is Mark Garrett. I have been investigating Jennifer's murder for 25 years. I'm a former police officer and an Oklahoma State Licensed Investigator. If anyone has any suggestions or wants to know the status of the case, I would be more than happy to discuss it.

Cold Case Investigations

Mark Garrett
Welcome to WS, Mark. We'd love to hear discussion. This case happened the year I moved to Miami, and rarely is it too far from my mind even over the lengths of time and distance. I wish I could be of assistance -- other than the prevalent rumors of the time (the husband and his friend solution, primarily) I have not even left square one in figuring out what happened. I worked at NEO for ten years and the "hubby did it" gossip stayed strong throughout -- though Jeremy Jones did eventually enter the conversation at the last.

My name is Mark Garrett. I have been working on the Jennifer Judd homcide since May, 14, 1992. I'm a former police officer and an Oklahoma State Licensed Investigator. When the Jeremy Jones confessions occurred, the family urged the Kansas Bureau of Investigations to go and talk with Jones about the case. After they returned from, I believe it was Alabama, they stated that they didn't think that Jones was the person who is responsible for the killing of Jennifer Judd. I might further add without any reservations in my own mind, law enforcement had tunnel vision directed towards a friend of the husbands since the day Jennier was murdered. His name is Chuck! I can assure you that they had good reason for him to be a POI. However, they looked no further for other viable suspects since May 11, 1992.

I might further add without any reservations in my own mind, law enforcement had tunnel vision directed towards a friend of the husbands since the day Jennier was murdered. His name is Chuck! I can assure you that they had good reason for him to be a POI. However, they looked no further for other viable suspects since May 11, 1992.
snip

The two variants on the 'Chuck' thing I heard: the first was that he did it at her husband's behest; the other was that he'd dropped in unexpectedly on his own, and she resisted his advances.

I also heard some tale about, let's see...involvement of a "Mr. Big"-type drug dealer who owned a large, well-appointed spread outside Baxter -- between Baxter and Galena, maybe. I don't remember what exactly the rumor was, though.

Anything there? Other possible suspects?

snip

The two variants on the 'Chuck' thing I heard: the first was that he did it at her husband's behest; the other was that he'd dropped in unexpectedly on his own, and she resisted his advances.

I also heard some tale about, let's see...involvement of a "Mr. Big"-type drug dealer who owned a large, well-appointed spread outside Baxter -- between Baxter and Galena, maybe. I don't remember what exactly the rumor was, though.

Anything there? Other possible suspects?

Bump for Jennifer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni