NM NM - Leah Peebles, 23, Albuquerque, 22 May 2006

JennaBelle

Reaction score
Missing Since: May 22, 2006 from Albuquerque, New Mexico
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date of Birth: January 16, 1983
Height and Weight: 5'4, 105 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Peebles may dye her hair black, red or blonde; she enjoys styling it in different cuts and colors. She wears eyeglasses and contact lenses, but at the time of her disappearance she was only carrying one two-week disposable pair of contacts. Peebles's ears are double-pierced and her left upper lip is pierced. The upper part of her right ear has been previously pierced and she has a scar from a previous piercing on her right nostril and a possible piercing scar on her left eyebrow. She has the following tattoos: a scrolled flower design on her upper back in black ink and a Celtic cross in black ink on her lower back. Peebles may use the first name Mia.

Clothing/Jewelry Description: Thicker gauged steel hoop earrings. Clothing unknown, but she usually wears t-shirts, jeans and sandals. Peebles normally carries a purse containing her cellular phone and Texas driver's license.
Medical Conditions: Peebles has a history of drug and alcohol abuse.

Details of Disappearance
Peebles moved from Fort Worth, Texas to Albuquerque, New Mexico on May 5, 2006. She was temporarily residing with friends in the vicinity of the 2100 block of Erbbe Street northeast when she disappeared on May 22, 2006. She left the home to go on a date with a man she'd met at the Flying Star Cafe, where she planned to start working the following week. Peebles never returned and has never been heard from again. Her vehicle was later found abandoned.

Peebles grew up in a middle-class, Christian home in Fort Worth. Her parents stated she was molested by a distant relative as a toddler and raped by an acquaintance she was fourteen. She was initially a good student at Carter-Riverside High School and active in as a cheerleader, in drama and on the yearbook staff, but by her sophomore year she had begun abusing drugs and alcohol and dropped out of her extracurricular activities.

When Peebles was eighteen, her parents put her in the Fort Worth Teen Challenge, a Christian residential drug and alcohol treatment facility for women. She stayed in the program for 21 months, graduated from cosmetology school and took a job at a beauty salon, but soon relapsed and began using a variety of illegal drugs. She was convicted of drug offenses twice and served two short jail sentences. Peebles was fired from her job at the salon after the second arrest, as her drug use had made her an unreliable employee. Her parents wanted her to return to the drug rehabilitation program, but she decided to move to Albuquerque instead. She hoped to get a new start in life, make new and better friends, stop her drug and alcohol abuse.

After Peebles disappeared there were sightings of her reported in the Albuquerque area. The witnesses reported Peebles was calling herself "Mia" and working as a prostitute for a pimp called A.J. who supplied her with crack cocaine. Police questioned A.J. after he was arrested in Bakersfield, California and he said he'd never heard of Peebles. Her father has made about eleven trips to Albuquerque as well as Phoenix, Arizona and Las Vegas, Nevada to search for her. The last credible sighting was in the fall of 2006, and her father believes she may have been sold to a pimp in another city. Her case remains unsolved.

DhMxO64.jpg

Wow such minimal info!
Was this guy she was to go on a date with
ever checked out?

7 long years..I'll always remember her father in her Disappeared episode. Never giving up on his daughter and finding her.

Leah has the most beautiful eyes. I'm so sorry she had to go through so much pain that made her walk that dark path in the end. I hope she is still alive and will be reunited with her loved ones one day.

I listened to the ID show while I was working on a circuit.

I got the notion that her father may not have been as close to finding her as he thought. He went and talked to some people involved with providing drugs and prostitution. After a while they got nervous about him. He perceived it was because they knew something about his daughter, but they may have just been nervous about anyone who might get the police involved. Eventually he did call the police on them, so they were right to be worried. The shocked reactions he saw may not have been related to his daughter but rather their sudden realization he was a potential threat not a potential customer.

I have two views of the underground market for sex and drugs. On one hand I imagine it just being informal networks of people who want to trade something the gov't doesn't want them to trade. The other view is pf thugs protecting their cartels (their right to have a monopoly on certain trades in a certain area). The latter case probably exists, but it's also a convenient model for law enforcement agencies arguing for funding. As I listened, I wondered if there really was such a thriving underworld controlled by pimps or if this partly an artifice her father's mind created to explain why his daughter was gone but might be alive and close by.

Ive submitted and had a response that he will check it out monday morning

I believe John Peebles passed away at the beginning of August. Its terrible he will never know what happened to his daughter. Very sad.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

She was on Disappeared last night ... Sure seems like she was still alive but got in with some really bad people

Her disappeared episode aired again today here in Australia. So sad about her father.

I can't believe she is still missing after all these years. :( And how sad that her father recently died. :(

:bump:

It's very nice to see Leah's name in there and seeing her family still remember her, but it's very sad her father died, and so young too! It's a shame that his death didn't make Leah reach out (if she is alive and has easy access to a phone and she heard about it, of course), but this makes me think she isn't alive, or is somewhere against her will as she seemed to care about her family a lot.

I agree with you, CircuitGuy. He was talking to prostitutes and people who do drugs - they're doing illegal things and he's inquiring too much, they're going to become really suspicious. They don't know if he's an undercover cop and just saying he's missing his daughter to find out more about them and their activities. Although I do think it is very likely that Leah went with these people, they most likely kept her away from her father as he was asking about her and they didn't knows who he is, not because they wanted to keep a daughter from a father. I also wonder if they did assume he was a cop, if they killed Leah because they thought she was a cop too.

He did find out a lot more than the police did in a short amount of time, however. The police should've been doing what he was doing, but I have a feeling they probably didn't because they considered Leah's past and the fact that she most likely had run off doing illegal things.

I also just want to add - I hate how girls like Leah are treated when they make a claim of rape. Disappeared said she was blamed for it because she was drinking and wore provocative clothing or something, and I can't remember if the charges were dismissed or they thought she wouldn't have a case so they decided not to pursue it. It's really horrible she had to go through the ordeal of rape, then have the world against her when she wanted to press charges and be blamed for this horrible and traumatic thing happening to her. They should be in jail.

I think this girl was very damaged and it's so sad that the rape (as well as the molestation) was her downfall while the people who did it roam free without facing the consequences. It's always the victim who suffers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back