TX - Abandoned infant found in grocery bag, Houston

wantjustice

Always hoping
Reaction score
She has been placed in a foster home after spending time in the hospital for observation. She is such a cutie and I'd love to adopt her :). I am sure they will have no problem finding her forever family.

What a beautiful baby! I had to laugh at the big yawn and smile in her sleep!

So thankful the lady found and rescued her...may she be adopted and have a wonderful life with parents who love her.

She's a beautiful baby. I'm so glad someone found her before it was too late.

I have to admit, I am never going to understand these women who abandon their babies when we have the safe haven law. Why does this continue to happen even with the safe haven laws?

This little girl has a second chance, bless her. Many don't.

Welcome to the world little one!

aw, what a cutie. I agree Cubby, I will never understand it. So glad this little one was found.

Safe Haven laws need to be advertised better, and ideally should also be discussed with any woman giving birth at a hospital or birthing center, whatever. They go over all kinds of other things with new moms before discharging them, this should also be gone over - verbally, AND with a brochure with the locations and an emphasis on the anonymity and no penalty aspect.

Thankfully this little one was found in time! :rose:

Safe Haven laws need to be advertised better, and ideally should also be discussed with any woman giving birth at a hospital or birthing center, whatever. They go over all kinds of other things with new moms before discharging them, this should also be gone over - verbally, AND with a brochure with the locations and an emphasis on the anonymity and no penalty aspect.

I agree the advertising needs to be better, though I don't know that many of the woman who abandon their newborns had any prenatal care or gave birth at a hospital or birthing center.

I'm not sure of the best way to get this information out to women, maybe start giving this information out in health class in middle school? I'm suggesting middle school because some are already active at that age and I'm not sure about the drop out rates. I would prefer this info gets to all teens before they are able to drop out.

I don't think women that give birth at a hospital are the ones dropping off babies in plastic bags.

Surely you aren't suggesting that women who have home births are more likely to abandon their child than those who give birth in a hospital?

I hope this little sweetie has a wonderful and happy life :)

I think the suggestion is that women who do not want a baby but for whatever reason do not terminate the pregnancy often do not seek out prenatal care or go to the hospital to deliver. I do not think gardenlady was commenting on those who chose to deliver at home with a doula or appropriate medical care during pregnancy and birth.

Surely you aren't suggesting that women who have home births are more likely to abandon their child than those who give birth in a hospital?

I hope this little sweetie has a wonderful and happy life :)

That wasn't my intention if my above post suggested that. My thoughts were the women who are likely to abandon their newborns likely have no prenatal care and have likely hidden their pregnancy, thus probably birthing alone without any medical assistance.

I think the suggestion is that women who do not want a baby but for whatever reason do not terminate the pregnancy often do not seek out prenatal care or go to the hospital to deliver. I do not think gardenlady was commenting on those who chose to deliver at home with a doula or appropriate medical care during pregnancy and birth.

Thank you. :blowkiss:

And while I realize that drilling the info at hospitals won't reach everyone, it will at least reach *most* birthing mothers, and nowhere did I say this should be the *only* thing done to improve use of safe havens. It is merely one very efficient way to get the info to large numbers of moms - including many at-risk moms ho DO birth in hospitals. And the more moms who are told, at-risk or not, the better - as the info will filter out to their families, their friends, etc.

Sheesh.

and I actually did receive information from the hospital regarding safe havens with the birth of my last two kiddos.

My first son was born decades ago, and I don't think that option was out there to be advertised yet. ;)

Investigators are hoping composite sketches will help lead to the parents of a baby girl found wrapped in a Walmart bag last week.

----------------------

The composite sketches
by renowned HPD artists Lois Gibson are based solely on the baby’s photo and not on a witness description.

----------------------

"It's never been done before in the history of the world
-- nobody does age progressions from newborns,” said Gibson.

---------------------

"I've got a 50/50 chance that she maybe looks more like the momma or like the daddy,”
said Gibson.

http://www.khou.com/home/Baby-found--193143021.html

Now CPS is looking for the girl's mother or father.
Officials say the parents don’t have to claim her -- they just want more information.

“Our role is that this baby can be placed with relatives,
” said Olguin.
“And so the person who is adopting this baby can have some more genetic family medical background on the baby to be able to raise her with more knowledge or information about her.”

http://www.khou.com/home/Baby-found-in-plastic-bag-goes-home-to-foster-family-193639491.html

The dog led the owner to a plastic bag along the fence line of the apartments.
To her surprise, she found a baby girl wrapped in a plastic Walmart bag. She called 911.

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Newb...-at-Cypress-apartment-complex--191934701.html

I agree the advertising needs to be better, though I don't know that many of the woman who abandon their newborns had any prenatal care or gave birth at a hospital or birthing center.

I'm not sure of the best way to get this information out to women, maybe start giving this information out in health class in middle school? I'm suggesting middle school because some are already active at that age and I'm not sure about the drop out rates. I would prefer this info gets to all teens before they are able to drop out.

I agree 100%.
This is something PARENTS should be telling their kids about. (I have.)
It should be something they learn in school. Cover it when talking about fire stations, or hospitals.
It need to get out there. Some people still wouldn't take them there... but some of them would. :please:

What a little sweetheart! I am so glad she was found before something happened to her. There are many, many families that would love to have her! She is actually a lucky little girl at this moment! jmo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back