PA - Entire school district locked down because someone misheard a Fresh Prince lyric

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Entire School District Locked Down Because Someone Misheard A Fresh Prince Lyric (Deadspin)
---
Police said a worker calling to confirm a doctor's appointment with an Ambridge High School student heard the theme song to the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" when she attempted to call. The worker said she called police when she misheard the lyrics — which she claimed said "shooting people outside of school."

The actual lyrics to the song say "shooting some b-ball outside of school."

The call to 911 forced the entire district into lockdown for about 30 minutes and police said they detained the 19-year-old student for three hours while searching his locker, before determining that it was all one big misunderstanding.
---
more, with a video, at the link

From the video: "The police say that teenager has learned his lesson..."
Which lesson would that be?
That any day you can mind your own business doing nothing wrong and get gunned down as a school shooter?

FRESHPRINCE-300x198.jpg

SO glad I was in middle school back when this song was playing, and not now - no one thought to call police on us... :rolleyes:

Love that pic of Wil Smith, Ausgirl! Perfect! :lol:

OH JEEZ LOUISE!

Don't you think they would have recognised the tune?

How tone deaf do you have to be before you mistake one of the most famous theme songs ever with a death threat?

That any day you can mind your own business doing nothing wrong and get gunned down as a school shooter?

He probably learned to transfer to a less insane school

I had to revisit this thread because I've had an awful day, and this story plus the look on Wil's face makes me laugh and laugh. :crazy:

Detained him for 3 hours?! Wouldn't they just listen to his voice mail message...hear that it's a song...hear that it's a famous theme song...and hear that it doesn't say what the receptionist thought it said?

And even if she didn't recognize the theme song, and misunderstood the lyrics...it is so freakin' upbeat. Did this woman really think someone would put such a catchy, upbeat song as their voicemail and then go and shoot up a school?

Hey Gardenlady... comfort yourself with this. At least your day didn't involve getting detained and questioned for 3 hours for the theme song on your voicemail!

Also I hope your tomorrow is better than your bad day today! :heartbeat:

Lol, poor kid. You would think in the first three MINUTES of that questioning session someone would go, "wait a second, the voicemail is talking about shooting basketballs into hoops, not kids outside of school" and dismiss the entire thing. I mean what the heck went on for those three hours?!?

You have to read some of the comments on the story...had me cackling out loud!!! :floorlaugh:

P.S. 19 and still hin high school? OK

P.P.S. Did I hear the story mention that the doctor's office mentioned the person they called had a speech impediment or was being treated for one? Not only are they now subject to a lawsuit now for unlawful search and seizure, harrassment, but also a direct violation of HIPPA laws!!!

So, he's a grown man still in school trying to graduate obviously after probably flunking one year. Then, a receptionist calls the law on him and cops say they hope HE learned his lesson. Are they saying he deliberately changed some wording? I hope he changes doctors.

Bahaha the comments...

Pittsburgh sounds dangerous. If my nephew lived there I would seriously urge them to consider moving in with my affluent brother and his family in Bel Air.

4chan will be having a field day with this.

^^^ this, Donjeta. Thank you.

How about, "police say the nervous and overreacting caller has learned her lesson."

So, he's a grown man still in school trying to graduate obviously after probably flunking one year.

Here, there are usually about 15 or so kids that do graduate when they are 19. This is because some kids don't 'pass' KINDERGARTEN. They are held back into a 'junior first' grade class because the kindergarten teacher thinks they need a little extra time learning basic things. The kids that are held back aren't in special ed or anything. Quite a few of them that I was in school with were in honors classes in highschool. One won a top award because he was a good wrestler in a state competition.

If a kid failed a highschool grade, they'd probably just drop out.

I wonder what rock that woman lived under. That theme song is legendary.

possibly 19 because of where the birthday fell or maybe parents didn't think he was mature enough to start kindergarten. Lots of possible reasons to be 19 and not graduated yet.

Wish I'd kept my adult DS home one year longer before Kindergarten. Would have been able to prevent him from dropping out as soon as he turned 18 (shortly after starting senior year)

This story made me laugh and cry. First the lunacy of not recognizing the song and the resulting hysteria was funny, but it was also really sad, and a statement on where we find ourselves in this country.

When a citizen can be detained for three hours because of an "incident" like this, THE TERRORISTS HAVE WON.

And why did it take three hours to clear this up?

Seems like it would be a matter of minutes to listen to the voice mail and recognize the song, or, failing that, just ask the kid what his voice mail says and google the lyrics.

The call to 911 forced the entire district into lockdown for about 30 minutes and police said they detained the 19-year-old student for three hours while searching his locker, before determining that it was all one big misunderstanding.

How many hours can it take to search a high school student's locker?

At my old elementary school they taught multiplication in 1st and 2nd grade, so many kids transferring to the school had to repeat those grades because they weren't going to be taught multiplication until 3rd or 4th grade.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back