WV WV - Deward 'Roger' Lough, 47, Charleston, 26 Nov 1992

Kanawha City Frank

Reaction score
I'm new to this site, and new to crime stories, but it seems to me that there are "cold" cases and "C-o-l-d" cases. Some cases seem to spark the interest of others in a big way (child murders) and others languish due to the fact the people aren't remembered by more than a few folks.

Such is the case of this unfortunate man, Deward Roger Lough. Deward was a 47-year-old man who left a bar called the Grand Palace on November 26, 1992. The bar was located on Brooks street close to where Charleston High School once stood. It was close to his home.

Deward was not seen for a couple of days and when his apartment was searched, his body was found. He'd been strangled. There are some biological clues that have been tested but no suspect has ever been publically named.

His sister was interviewed a few years back and wants to know what happened to her brother ... who took him from her. The case remains unsolved, but someone knows who killed this man, or has some information.

Deward was not well known; but he was a brother, and loved. We can help this family.

This is one of two cold cases I will be reviewing the files on in the CPD thanks to Major Jason Beckett.

Any thoughts of how I should proceed?

Not typically being members of law enforcement, one of the most important things we can do is simply get the word out. Get the victim's name on as many websites as possible. Someone who may know something but has been carrying the info with them all these years may decide to Google the victim's name just to see whatever happened. When they see the victim's crime is still unsolved, the website will give them an avenue-most always anonymous-in which to get the info "off their chest". Getting local news programs involved is also important for the same reason. Many times, the key to solving a crime is simply making sure the right person knows you're looking.

In this case, some questions come up for me pretty quickly. Did he have any friends who frequented the bar as well? Was he seen to be speaking with someone? Did he have any romantic interests? Could he have met someone at the bar? Was this typical of him? Was he into drugs, did he drink much, was he known to carry large amounts of cash at anytime (it, did he cash his paycheck on Friday and spend it in the bar?) As I've stated elsewhere, strangulation isn't typical of a "planned" murder, more a method born of passion in the moment. Were there any signs of forced entry? What if anything is known to be missing from the property? Did he have a vehicle? Was it searched? What is the nature of the "biological clues"? DNA? Were the samples submitted for entry into CODIS? If so, has anyone checked lately for a match? If not, why not?

These are all basic questions that should be answered, in whole or part, in LE's reports.

I will have better information tomorrow after meeting with officials at CPD. I chose not to mention some things because I don't have more than rumor an innuendo. When I have more facts I'll post them. DNA has been sent off from evidence collected at the time (92). It was sent off some eight years ago,

But yes, he was well known at the bar. No, no one claims to know anything at all. No particular POI's either. Sorry.

I was able to find out a little more info... There reportedly was no sign of forced entry and the main door to the residence was locked. LE believe the murder was committed by someone known to the victim.

There are other unsolved murders from the area, but none that are close to the circumstances of Lough's murder.

25 years ago this month (GMT) and still nothing? I will probably soon be adding this killing to my Top 1000 Classic Unsolved Murder Case list at somewhere around #963.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back