Wine Gala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inparadise

Verified Insider - Rebecca Zahau Case
Reaction score
Here is one of the 2 dozen or so pictures from Dina's Wine Gala.........they are available on Maxies's House.
Winegala.png

Maybe neither here nor there, but Dina's face looks really different (eyes?) - PS I think and the lips are different. Maybe sometimes the treatment wears off with injections.

Maybe neither here nor there, but Dina's face looks really different (eyes?) - PS I think and the lips are different. Maybe sometimes the treatment wears off with injections.

Since I have never had "injections", I don't know. Her face, and hands appear to be really puffy and bloated looking.

Since I have never had "injections", I don't know. Her face, and hands appear to be really puffy and bloated looking.

Her whole face is puffy, reminiscent of cosmetic injections -- most likely trying to get rid of her aging wrinkles and her crow's feet.

I agree with Time. Her eyes look drastically different, even with the heavy black eyeliner.

She certainly does look strong.

IMO, she is built like an NFL linebacker..............

Perhaps that's why Rebecca is called anorexic on the other site. The difference in body weight and size is ginormous. ( just for the record, RZ was fit and toned and beautiful)

I try not to be snarky but it's a little hard to resist this morning. This will probably get deleted.....ok. I'll keep myself in check after this. Promise.

I wonder why the nonprofit's website does not have a summary of the success of the gala? I've attended 2 benefit galas in the past 4 weeks for charities/ nonprofits. Both of them very quickly (within 48 hours) had a summary of the success of the event posted on their website, stating the number in attendance, and celebrating/ thanking patrons for the amount of money raised for the charity (with the amount specifically stated). This event for MH was promoted as a $250/ person gala. From the pics, at least several dozen were in attendance. Was there also a silent auction or such? Why is it such a "secret" what the fundraising is accomplishing, and what that is specifically going toward? That is Nonprofit 101. (Someone didn't go to that class, lol!)

So far, in the past 6 months, I count at least 3 major fundraisers for this nonprofit. The Halloween party (or was that some kind of project fulfulling their mission?), the Cuts for Kids, and the Wine Gala. Not one of them has a summary thanking the patrons and celebrating the success, besides posting a few pics of the party/ event.But in fairness, they did thank the caterer and bounce house for the Halloween party. Meh. It's like they don't have the first idea about how to run a NP, or how to politic and thank patrons, the lifeblood of their organzation. Silly. Do any of the BOD have any actual experience, beyond being in Dina Shacknai's group of socialites?

Perhaps MH only shares that pertinent information with people who have contributed, like in a private communication or newsletter? If so, that would be a huge mistake in the world of nonprofit fundraising, lol! Wow.

There have been many grandiose vision comments made publicly by Dina Shacknai about the purpose of her NP, most recently on her KTAR interview. Hundreds, thousands, millilons impacted, or some such comments. What exactly has this NP done to impact a single child? Other than some nebulous comments about "raising awareness", a few links on their website, and grandiose and unrealistic plans to try to persuade some AZ lawmakers to sponsor a really ill-conceived bill?

I don't see a single shred of evidence on their website that this BOD or Dina Shacknai has the ability, experience, or knowledge to influence actual legislators to achieve a single thing. Where is their lobbyist? Where are the focus groups and exploratory committees? Where is the public support of other significant organizations? What AZ legislator is going to go to stick his or her neck out to sponsor this really ill-conceived idea for a law? Let alone BIPARTISAN support and sponsors. It simply will never happen. :floorlaugh:

None of these people, IMO, have the first idea about how to go about influencing REAL legislators to write and sponsor REAL bills, that have a REAL chance of being heard in committee, and a REAL chance of passing both houses of the legislature. (That is, if AZ is bicameral-- which I haven't checked.)

Bottom line-- the idea that AZ would enact some kind of law about background checks for ex-spouses' friends and lovers is quite simply, absurd. No legislator who wants to be re-elected, or who wants to have their OTHER bills received positively, would EVER touch this ridiculous proposal with a 10 foot pole. Dina is even more delusional than I thought if she thinks this is a viable proposal, lol! She needs to go to her state capitol and spend an entire session (or 2) sitting in the gallery of every committee meeting trying to figure out how to get her idea even heard by some lowly intern for a real legislator, lol!

But then again, maybe that isn't really the REAL goal of the NP. Maybe there is another agenda, or 2, being advanced under the guise of a NP? Maybe the goal is simply fundraising for the paid member/s of the NP? I've certainly seen that before. Maybe the goal is simply a mechanism to obscure the truth of Max's accident, and give Dina Shacknai a platform to advance her delusional "ideas" about how her son died. And a whole bunch of enablers (who enjoy a good party sponsored by someone else) in those who "support" her goals.

I wonder why the nonprofit's website does not have a summary of the success of the gala? I've attended 2 benefit galas in the past 4 weeks for charities/ nonprofits. Both of them very quickly (within 48 hours) had a summary of the success of the event posted on their website, stating the number in attendance, and celebrating/ thanking patrons for the amount of money raised for the charity (with the amount specifically stated). This event for MH was promoted as a $250/ person gala. From the pics, at least several dozen were in attendance. Was there also a silent auction or such? Why is it such a "secret" what the fundraising is accomplishing, and what that is specifically going toward? That is Nonprofit 101. (Someone didn't go to that class, lol!)

So far, in the past 6 months, I count at least 3 major fundraisers for this nonprofit. The Halloween party (or was that some kind of project fulfulling their mission?), the Cuts for Kids, and the Wine Gala. Not one of them has a summary thanking the patrons and celebrating the success, besides posting a few pics of the party/ event.But in fairness, they did thank the caterer and bounce house for the Halloween party. Meh. It's like they don't have the first idea about how to run a NP, or how to politic and thank patrons, the lifeblood of their organzation. Silly. Do any of the BOD have any actual experience, beyond being in Dina Shacknai's group of socialites?

Perhaps MH only shares that pertinent information with people who have contributed, like in a private communication or newsletter? If so, that would be a huge mistake in the world of nonprofit fundraising, lol! Wow.

There have been many grandiose vision comments made publicly by Dina Shacknai about the purpose of her NP, most recently on her KTAR interview. Hundreds, thousands, millilons impacted, or some such comments. What exactly has this NP done to impact a single child? Other than some nebulous comments about "raising awareness", a few links on their website, and grandiose and unrealistic plans to try to persuade some AZ lawmakers to sponsor a really ill-conceived bill?

I don't see a single shred of evidence on their website that this BOD or Dina Shacknai has the ability, experience, or knowledge to influence actual legislators to achieve a single thing. Where is their lobbyist? Where are the focus groups and exploratory committees? Where is the public support of other significant organizations? What AZ legislator is going to go to stick his or her neck out to sponsor this really ill-conceived idea for a law? Let alone BIPARTISAN support and sponsors. It simply will never happen. :floorlaugh:

None of these people, IMO, have the first idea about how to go about influencing REAL legislators to write and sponsor REAL bills, that have a REAL chance of being heard in committee, and a REAL chance of passing both houses of the legislature. (That is, if AZ is bicameral-- which I haven't checked.)

Bottom line-- the idea that AZ would enact some kind of law about background checks for ex-spouses' friends and lovers is quite simply, absurd. No legislator who wants to be re-elected, or who wants to have their OTHER bills received positively, would EVER touch this ridiculous proposal with a 10 foot pole. Dina is even more delusional than I thought if she thinks this is a viable proposal, lol! She needs to go to her state capitol and spend an entire session (or 2) sitting in the gallery of every committee meeting trying to figure out how to get her idea even heard by some lowly intern for a real legislator, lol!

But then again, maybe that isn't really the REAL goal of the NP. Maybe there is another agenda, or 2, being advanced under the guise of a NP? Maybe the goal is simply fundraising for the paid member/s of the NP? I've certainly seen that before. Maybe the goal is simply a mechanism to obscure the truth of Max's accident, and give Dina Shacknai a platform to advance her delusional "ideas" about how her son died. And a whole bunch of enablers (who enjoy a good party sponsored by someone else) in those who "support" her goals.

FYI, the cost to attend the wine tasting was $350..........IMO, way too expensive.

I think it would be interesting to take a look at Max In Motion. Not necessarily to compare, but differentiate between the two.

I think it would be interesting to take a look at Max In Motion. Not necessarily to compare, but differentiate between the two.[/QUOTE

From what I have seen, Max In Motion doesn't do the "parties" to raise money. It is purely donations and people investing their time.

Great post, K_Z! I appreciate your knowing something about how (real) non-profits do their thing; I've only ever written checks (and not many of those). It does seem that Maxie's House is more about Dina than it is about children of any stripe. I can understand how someone might find themselves compelled to create something new and useful out of the grief and tatters the death of a loved one leaves behind, but those are not good bones for building what will last. I doubt Dina has many people in her life who would know what might.

I am willing to see Maxie's House as Dina's misguided attempt to make death make sense. However, as a prospective patron, I'd use a different yardstick than my sympathy for her loss in judging the value of such an organization. Bizarre interviews, unfounded accusations aimed at children and the dead (who cannot defend themselves against her), magic-inked statistics and grand but murky goals do not inspire my confidence or encourage my financial support. And, :snooty: the typos on her website are, IMHO, unforgivable.

I think it would be interesting to take a look at Max In Motion. Not necessarily to compare, but differentiate between the two.[/QUOTE

From what I have seen, Max In Motion doesn't do the "parties" to raise money. It is purely donations and people investing their time.

The thing is, if you are taking money, then you need to accomplish something. What is Maxies House accomplishing? It looks like Max In Motion started out helping, at least the goal is clear and they now have three major sports teams signed on to help. Dina isn't going to get anywhere with having bouncy house sponsors (gone now anyway) that don't fit into some long term goal nor make any sense except for one event and get togethers that really don't accomplish anything.

I've worked in nonprofits, but they got their money from writing grants. I guess it's not as glamorous as thinking you can have parties and land big donations (something I don't think is happening anyway).

The thing is, if you are taking money, then you need to accomplish something. What is Maxies House accomplishing? It looks like Max In Motion started out helping, at least the goal is clear and they now have three major sports teams signed on to help. Dina isn't going to get anywhere with having bouncy house sponsors (gone now anyway) that don't fit into some long term goal nor make any sense except for one event and get togethers that really don't accomplish anything.

I've worked in nonprofits, but they got their money from writing grants. I guess it's not as glamorous as thinking you can have parties and land big donations (something I don't think is happening anyway).

IMO, Dina is using Maxie's House to fund her parties and her drinking..........

BBM. As you likely know, the process of writing grants (even very modest grants) is excruciatingly detailed, and requires very thorough outlines and plans for (usually) a specific activity. Grant writing is a highly specialized area of expertise, and many NP's typically have one or more individuals solely devoted to grant writing. You typically can't submit grant apps for general operating expenses or salaries. And "after action" reports are always required-- sometimes intermediate reports are required for grants awarded that are in progress. In these lean economic times, grants are also usually competitive-- meaning, more than one organization is competing for limited financial backing.

Contrast that to nonspecific "fundraisers" where the funds are not targeted-- and they can be used for whatever purpose the organization wants.....like general operating expenses, or funding the next fundraiser....or for compensation for paid members of the organization.... etc.

Remember that this is a very small organization, with just a handful of involved board members. My suspicions are that there is probably not more than one paid member, if any, and the BODs are all volunteer.

One of the things I see about MH is it is trying to be a lone wolf, grandiose, do "everything" organization, by Dina's descriptions. It lacks the focus necessary, imo, for sustainability in the early years of existence. MH does not have a "product" to sell; it is constructed as a general advocacy group, and has a very limited "educational" focus. (Limited to a few links on their website; that approach is not at a very high professional level.)

The "lone wolf" thing is very odd to me, because there is a realistic need for small organizations to "band together" with larger, well-established and validated organizations to accomplish such lofty goals as persuading and achieving novel legislation. No one schedules a meeting with a legislator, and the legislator then agrees to sponsor legislation, and voila! A new law is born. It just does not work that way. It is a long and tedious slog to get ANY new language into state statutes-- and it was meant to be that way historically. Difficult and long, and requiring consensus across parties and ideologies. Designed this way so that knee-jerk legislation isn't muscled thru, and no one person has too much authority to make changes.

Getting a new law on the books in any state is very, very difficult, and time consuming. And expensive. Just getting existing statutory language changed can take a very long time-- multiple legislative sessions.

Instead of hosting cocktail parties for socialites, it would be interesting to see MH engage in something like hosting an interdisciplinary educational conference for professionals. That is one way to begin to network and build alliances with other like-minded organizations. But at this point in time, I don't think their organization is up to a challenge of that magnitude. And Dina's increasingly unbalanced and erratic behavior (IMO) is a real detriment to achieving any interdisciplinary professional validation for their goals. To say nothing of her notoriety alone, and that a substantial number of people think she knows a whole lot more than she has divulged about Rebecca Zahau's death. I just don't think they are going to be attracting boatloads of new donors.

Coastal upthread said it best-- sympathy for the loss of the founder's child is a separate issue from evaluating the purpose and function of an effective and focused NP. They are in their first year of existence, so they get a bit of slack from me, but I just don't see evidence that the organization is moving in the right direction for clarity of purpose and sustainability. I'll be very surprised if it is still in existence 3 to 5 years from now.

I think it would be interesting to take a look at Max In Motion. Not necessarily to compare, but differentiate between the two.

Yes, I'd also like to see info on "MaxInMotion", founded by Jonah, and contrast that organization with Dina's "Maxie's House".

I'll start. Here's a snippet of MaxInMotion's mission statement:

"MaxInMotion® is a not-for-profit foundation dedicated to providing young athletes an opportunity to compete at both the recreational and competitive levels in major youth sports. The Foundation provides financial support directly to youth sports organizations throughout the state of Arizona, to help underwrite inclusion in sports programs of financially challenged boys and girls who would not otherwise be able to participate. MaxInMotion® also develops programs to include special needs populations in youth sports activities. The Foundation embraces the philosophy that youth sports contribute dramatically to character development and personal fitness, and that team participation helps establish values of community, interdependency and collective responsibility.

MaxInMotion® is dedicated to capacity building and support in soccer, baseball, basketball and hockey because of the high level of participation in these sports and their significant degree of organization. Research has shown that “Participating in sports can provide a deterrent for negative behavior and a positive alternative to anti-social activities. Sports can provide opportunities for social development because of the structure, commitment and real-life skills – like cooperation and teamwork – that are taught.” (Seefeldt and Ewing, 1996) “While sports have value in everyone’s life, it is even more important in the life of a person with a [financial or physical] disability. This is because of sport’s rehabilitative influence, and the fact that it is a means to integrate the person into society. Sports teach independence.” (Eek and Friends, 2007)"

http://www.maxinmotion.org/our-mission/

~~~~~

From the sounds of Jonah's MaxInMotion, there is clarity in purpose of this non-profit and results can be quantitatively measured. E.g., we can definitively count the number of children who received financial support from the organization and who are actively participating in soccer, b-ball, hockey, etc.

Contrast MaxInMotion to Dina's Maxie's House, whereby the only thing I can tell that Maxie's House has done is throw parties and cut hair to collect money. Besides Dina accumulating donations for herself, where are the children who benefited from Maxie's House apart from the few who had their hair trimmed that one day? What impact has Maxie's House done for children in divorced households? :waitasec: Isn't the entire mission of Maxie's House to prevent abuse of children from a divorced parent's new partner? How is Maxie's House accomplishing that? I don't see how the so-called "mission" of Maxie's House can be measured. I agree with K_Z that Maxie's House is not sustainable as a nonprofit and will not last long-term. I hope the IRS and NPO watchdogs are checking into the legitimacy of Dina's Maxie's House.

On its face, Maxie's House looks to be a fraudulent NPO collecting $money for which Dina can dip her filthy hands in and simultaneously slander innocent people -- a murdered victim Becky who can no longer defend herself and an innocent child XZ who lost her older sister Becky to a brutal murderess.

K_Z... very well said. Writing a grant takes a ton of time, I've spent two entire months on one before. And, you really need, almost have to have other partners, connections, and in-kind contributions.

What boggles my mind is that Dina is not using any of her education/training and more serious minded intellectual/academic/institutional connections. The process in itself would help sharpen goals or define new ones. I guess you are right, there is probably not any money to hire a grant writer and Dina probably doesn't have the ability to do it herself. I think that makes it all the more odd she keep flashing around her PsyD and focusing on some area about families/children that are not her forté. In fact, it's downright odd given her own violent domestic abuse past.

"Contrast that to nonspecific "fundraisers" where the funds are not targeted-- and they can be used for whatever purpose the organization wants.....like general operating expenses, or funding the next fundraiser....or for compensation for paid members of the organization.... etc. "

I think after a while, this approach alone will doom Maxie's House if it hasn't already. And, advertising the nonprofit every time Maxie's death is raised is not helping either (or visa versa). I'm tempted to say she formed the nonprofit to get sympathy for herself. :waitasec:

That photo of DS is very troubling in so many ways. I will keep may comments to myself since they are not nice. Good grief ...

Even more troubling is why DS is using Adam Walsh, Megan Nicole (Megan's Law) Kanka and Amber (Amber Alert) Hagerman on the Maxie's House video. That topic is being discussed on another thread, but thought I would mention it here as well. Max's accidental fall down a banister is no comparison to the other children mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288