Chimp Attack

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Chimps critically injure sanctuary visitor

BAKERSFIELD, California (AP) -- A couple's plans for a birthday party for their former pet chimpanzee turned tragic when two other chimps at an animal sanctuary escaped from their cage and attacked. The man was critically injured with massive wounds to his face, body and limbs, and the attacking animals were shot dead.

St. James and LaDonna Davis were at the Animal Haven Ranch in Caliente to celebrate the birthday of Moe, a 39-year-old chimpanzee who was taken from their suburban Los Angeles home in 1999 after biting off part of a woman's finger.

Moe was not involved in Thursday's attack, said Steve Martarano, a spokesman for the California Department of Fish and Game.

The couple had brought Moe a cake and were standing outside his cage when Buddy and Ollie, two of four chimpanzees in the adjoining cage, attacked St. James Davis, Martarano said. Officials have not determined how the chimps got out of their enclosure, he said.

"He saw what was happening and had one kind of weapon with him and then got another he felt would be more substantial and shot them," Martarano said. "He pretty much saved a life."

St. James Davis had severe facial injuries and would require extensive surgery in an attempt to reattach his nose, Dr. Maureen Martin of Kern Medical Center told KGET-TV of Bakersfield. His testicles and a foot also were severed, Kern County Sheriff's Cmdr. Hal Chealander told The Bakersfield Californian.

Buddy, a 16-year-old male chimp, initiated the attack and after he was shot, Ollie, a 13-year-old male, grabbed the gravely injured man and dragged him down the road, authorities said.

"Everybody was trying to get the chimp off," Chealander said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/04/chimp.attack.ap/index.html

What a bloodbath :eek:

Chimps are nasty things IMO - they give me the creeps

Aren't chimps those cute little apes that wear diapers and clothing and can turn their lips inside-out? WOW! They bit off his .... stuff. :eek: I have a new appreciation for these guys. They won't look the same the next trip to the zoo.

Hi 1986 and welcome to WS

Here's another link to the story with a bit more information and some video feed.

Very tragic story. I'll be praying that St. James Davis has a complete recovery. He is currently in critical condition.

With love and HOPE, Lanie

I'm with you Casshew, chimps give me the willies. I actually have a reoccuring dream about being chased by a chimp.:eek:

I feel awful for this guy, he's living my bad dream.

Sudzi, they are also solid muscle and very very strong for their size...

creepy little monkey

By The Associated Press
(03/04/05 - HAVILAH, CA) — Investigators said Friday they are trying to figure out how two chimpanzees that viciously attacked a visitor at an animal sanctuary escaped from their cages.

The chimps chewed off St. James Davis' nose and severely mauled his genitals and limbs Thursday before the son-in-law of the sanctuary's owner shot the animals to death, authorities said.

Davis, 62, and his wife had gone to there to visit another chimpanzee that had lived with them for decades before they were forced to give the animal up. LaDonna Davis, 64, was bit in the hand.

"A big part of the investigation will be figuring out whether the (sanctuary) owners were in compliance with regulations," sheriff's Cmdr. Hal Chealander said. "There's a reason why those chimpanzees got out. It will be crucial to our investigation how they got out."

Health authorities were testing the dead chimps for rabies and other diseases.

Full story here

Prayers for Mr. & Mrs. Davis, Lanie

This attack was one of the most horrible things I have ever read about. Good Lord they had to attack purposefully to do what they did to that man.

I hope he recovers but I can't help but wonder if his own words haunt him a little. When his chimp Moe bit a woman his attitude was that it wasn't that big of a deal...and he felt it unfair that his chimp had to be locked up and couldn't live with them anymore.

I bet they want nothing to do with chimps after this. I sure wouldn't want to go near one now.

Casshew said:
Sudzi, they are also solid muscle and very very strong for their size...

creepy little monkey
Yup. Despite being only about 4 feet tall and 120-150 pounds, they have up to TEN times the strength of the average adult human!!!

I've also read they chewed all his fingers off, as well as a finger on his wife. She was attacked first and he pushed her behind the table and took the attack himself, apparently, which last a little over 5 minutes. The first shot didn't even faze the chimp, which is why he had to get bigger ammo!!!! Insane! In the wild, they say chimps attack larger animals and kill them and eat them all the time. Including humans in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I am so glad we don't have chimps running around :eek: pitbulls are bad enough. This attack is like a nightmare.

I think it is unfair to gang up on the chimps. They are super intelligent and incredible animals. I feel sorry for this man and his wife, and they are in my prayers, but chimps are wild animals and have animal instincts. Whenever you are near wild animals you are putting yourself in danger.

teonspaleprincess said:
I think it is unfair to gang up on the chimps. They are super intelligent and incredible animals. I feel sorry for this man and his wife, and they are in my prayers, but chimps are wild animals and have animal instincts. Whenever you are near wild animals you are putting yourself in danger.
Nobody is ganging up on the chimps, geez. Just pointing out that they are dangerous animals, especially for their size, despite the trained ones who run around in diapers and look cute on TV.

Dark Knight said:
Yup. Despite being only about 4 feet tall and 120-150 pounds, they have up to TEN times the strength of the average adult human!!!

I've also read they chewed all his fingers off, as well as a finger on his wife. She was attacked first and he pushed her behind the table and took the attack himself, apparently, which last a little over 5 minutes. The first shot didn't even faze the chimp, which is why he had to get bigger ammo!!!! Insane! In the wild, they say chimps attack larger animals and kill them and eat them all the time. Including humans in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sadly, I recall readin gthis past year about a group of chimps in the wild that are stealing and eating babies. True story. :(

I'm with Cass: they are creepy.
I wouldn't want to be any nearer to them than to a tiger.

Stealing and eating babies!!!! OMG.. I thought I had bad chimp dreams before.. I better stay out of this thread.:eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back