Australia - Phoebe Handsjuk, 24, found dead in Melbourne apt building, 2 Dec 2010

marlywings

Former Member
Reaction score
December 6, 2012

The family of a Melbourne woman who died after plunging 12 storeys inside the garbage chute of a St Kilda Road apartment building has asked a coroner to examine if she was murdered.

At Wednesday's hearing, Coroner Peter White said he was yet to decide whether to hold a full inquest into the 2010 death of 24-year-old Phoebe Handsjuk

phoebe-729-2-620x349.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/what-happened-to-phoebe-handsjuk-20121206-2awz5.html#ixzz2MwnIgEBz

Channel 7 program "Sunday Night" is featuring this case on the weekend.

Phoebe's mystery death

They were the perfect glamour couple: she was young and beautiful while he was the handsome businessman boyfriend. So how did Phoebe Handsjuk come to die by plunging 12 storeys down the garbage chute of a luxury apartment building? Sunday Night explores the mystery of Phoebe’s final hours

http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/

Derryn Hinch has a tweet about channel 7's Sunday Night program on this case:

Derryn Hinch ‏@HumanHeadline
Legal fight on between Vic. Coroner and Sunday Night over 7 plan to air CCTV footage of murder/suicide ? victim Pheobe Handsjuk

How tragic, I don't recall hearing about this when it happened.

Boyfriend certainly has friends in high places. Why does his lawyer care if there is a full coronial hearing into the matter? If it answers some nagging questions, what is the harm to him?

"However, barrister Elizabeth Brimer, who is acting for Antony Hampel, Phoebe's boyfriend at the time of her death, said a full hearing wasn't necessary.

"There isn't a basis for that level of satisfaction [that a murder occurred]," Ms Brimer told the coroner."

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/what-happened-to-phoebe-handsjuk-20121206-2awz5.html#ixzz2MwnIgEBz

Thanks Marlywings I've seen a couple of things tv and newspaper recently about Phoebe's death and I'll be watching Sunday Night.

It seems unlikely IMO to be suicide, I read something about the rubbish chute having blades, so someone has to have turned them off or she would have been chopped to pieces. Also her grandfather, a retired detective has investigated and had two sober fit women try to hoist themselves feet first into the rubbish chute and it was extremely difficult for them.

Boyfriend certainly has friend's in high places. Why does his lawyer care if there is a full coronial hearing into the matter? If it answers some nagging questions, what is the harm to him?

"However, barrister Elizabeth Brimer, who is acting for Antony Hampel, Phoebe's boyfriend at the time of her death, said a full hearing wasn't necessary.

"There isn't a basis for that level of satisfaction [that a murder occurred]," Ms Brimer told the coroner."

He sure does.

IMO if he has nothing to hide then his barrister wouldn't be trying to talk down the need for a full hearing.

Many many thanks Marlywings for starting this thread xx
I had not heard of this case till seeing the ads for Sunday night.

Just watched the special on Sunday Night. Definitely some suspcious behaviour by the boyfriend in my opinion. Why is his legal team preventing footage of her final hours being released? Why is is opposed to a coronial inquest?

I think the most damning point in this case is why she would choose- in a drunken state- to attempt the delicate Houdini act of wedging herself into the garbage disposal chute when she could have freely hopped off the balcony. I mean, why bother to go to all the effort when the balcony is just so much easier? It just doesn’t make sense to go to all of that effort; it’s ridiculous. Further, she was apparently still alive at the bottom of the chute, possibly owing to the halting/pausing/breaking on the way down, as the chute is narrow, which slowed down her fall. That certainly wouldn’t have been the case were she to have jumped from the balcony- no one survives a 12 storey fall from a building; it is certain death.
The only reasonable explanation is that she was hurt beforehand by someone who wanted to conceal those injuries, which might not have been concealed by a balcony fall, but which could be masked during a chute-fall owing to the bumping, jamming, hitting, bruising on the way down in the confined space.

There is no way she killed herself by going down a garbage chute. She was a young, beautiful woman. That is not how she would have chosen to die, imo.

Just watched the special on Sunday Night. Definitely some suspcious behaviour by the boyfriend in my opinion. Why is his legal team preventing footage of her final hours being released? Why is is opposed to a coronial inquest?

His parents=legal team?

Also did he turn to the reporter and say "private property" and point to the ground when she was questioning him?
Not that it really has much meaning ..... I just thought geese firm and mist certainly knew his rights, quite slick in fact.

I think the most damning point in this case is why she would choose- in a drunken state- to attempt the delicate Houdini act of wedging herself into the garbage disposal chute when she could have freely hopped off the balcony. I mean, why bother to go to all the effort when the balcony is just so much easier? It just doesn’t make sense to go to all of that effort; it’s ridiculous. Further, she was apparently still alive at the bottom of the chute, possibly owing to the halting/pausing/breaking on the way down, as the chute is narrow, which slowed down her fall. That certainly wouldn’t have been the case were she to have jumped from the balcony- no one survives a 12 storey fall from a building; it is certain death.
The only reasonable explanation is that she was hurt beforehand by someone who wanted to conceal those injuries, which might not have been concealed from a balcony fall, but which could be masked during a chute-fall owing to the bumping, jamming, hitting, bruising on the way down in the confined space.

I totally agree... There is certainly reasonable doubt blanketing this entire tragic story.
I can help but "feel" the fact that Phoebe ended up in the garbage chute, was in fact someone wanting to throw her away :-( Awful

looks like you can rent a 14th floor apartment in that building, overlooking Albert Park no less- just in time for the grand prix next weekend! i wonder if Phoebe's boyfriend at the time still lives in the building on the 12th, could even catch him watching the race from the lower vantage-point. who knows, he might even be up for a chat...

http://australia.trovit.com/propert....1/org.1/pop.1/publisher_id./referer_id.1/t.1

I think the fact that the police came to the suicide conclusion so quickly is also cause for concern. The Bf is obviously very well connected and I have wondered if these 2 things are related i.e. his connections and the suicide conclusion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back