Magnotta March Prelim Hearing & Trial Day 1 - Sep 29, 2014 - Thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured it was better to have a proper thread for the Preliminary Hearing which started today in Montreal.

So far, the day has been spent arguing back and forth whether media should be banned from the courtroom during the Preliminary hearing. SUN NEWS TV reported there was a heated exchange between defense lawyer Luc Leclair and the judge regarding the matter. The crown and attorneys for the media have countered they should be allowed.

I think Leclair's argument is a very valid one. This is the preliminary hearing, not the trial. If there already is a publication ban on the evidence at this hearing, what purpose does the media sitting there serve? In this modern world of technology with cell phones, texting, etc, leaks are bound to, and will happen if they're there. No matter what anyone thinks of the accused or the crime itself, every case should be treated the same, fairly, with fair due process. When the case originally unfolded last May/June, we all saw what a 3 ring circus it was in the media. Could there possibly be an unbiased jury that could decide this case? For those out there who hunger for all the gory details of this case, just be patient, you'll get your fill, at the trial. But the Preliminary Hearing should be protected, for the integrity of the process as a whole. If you're shaking your head no, consider this.... do you really want any possible technicalities or 'outs' the defense could use in the case?

The public should trust the Crown and Defence to present their positions to the judge and decide if there's enough evidence to merit a trial. I think we all know what the answer is going to be.

A decision is expected Tuesday. We haven't even begun the actual Preliminary Hearing into the case.

Attached is a drawing of Magnotta in court today. White was the colour of the day for him.

Attachments

• 2013_03_11.JPG
    2013_03_11.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 211
Good! A separate thread for the preliminary trial. I've already placed links in the Media thread and in the Armchair section.

Please see those threads to get caught up if you haven't already done so.

Thanks,
Stone

:jail:

No link for this; just saw it on CTV.

He has FANS, one of whom has written to him a great deal. This fan came from North Carolina just to see him.

When interviewed by CTV, all the fan said was " He looks great. Don't listen to what the media says".

:bang: :jail: :bang:

Oh sure.......I'm really interested ONLY in his looks!! :notgood:

Yeah, I saw that video clip on CTV as well. That guy's name is Ethan and he has a tumblr blog dedicated to LM . Actually, there's still a surprising amount of tumblr and other blogs still maintained and dedicated to worshipping him.

No link for this; just saw it on CTV.

He has FANS, one of whom has written to him a great deal. This fan came from North Carolina just to see him.

When interviewed by CTV, all the fan said was " He looks great. Don't listen to what the media says".

:bang: :jail: :bang:

Oh sure.......I'm really interested ONLY in his looks!! :notgood:

Could the weeping have been simply great acting? And, the Oscar goes to.........................

:twocents:

Just out of curiosity: What makes you think that he was acting?

Good question. Perhaps as a diversion from Magnotta's showing no emotion. To add some emotion to the courtroom's defence side. To add a human side (a good human side/reaction) to this ungodly thing. On the side of the defence.

Good question. Perhaps as a diversion from Magnotta's showing no emotion. To add some emotion to the courtroom's defence side. To add a human side (a good human side/reaction) to this ungodly thing. On the side of the defence.

You mean to put him and what he has done into a better light?
Is that usual for a defence team to do such things?

Sorry if that is a stupid question, but this is basically the first crime case I follow intensively and I dont really know much about those court procedures...

Uuugh, I wish there wasn't a publication ban. There has to be a twitter feed or something from someone in the courtroom who is hearing the testimony.

I'm not getting the point of having this open to the public and media, but a ban on reporting. At some point the info is going to leak, no?

I don't think I have ever seen informtion leaked from a prelim in Canada. The ban is lifted once the trial has ended, or if it has been deemed that there is insufficient evidence to have a trial.

It is pretty much the norm for the defence team to request a ban during prelim. The ban is put in place so that it doesn't taint the potential jury pool for the trial. It's open to the public and media, because that is also the norm, though anyone attending the prelim cannot post publicly what has occurred during the prelim, or they could see themselves up on charges themselves. HTH

You mean to put him and what he has done into a better light?
Is that usual for a defence team to do such things?

Sorry if that is a stupid question, but this is basically the first crime case I follow intensively and I dont really know much about those court procedures...

The defence team will do anything it has to do to get him acquited. (sp??)

"If the glove don't fit, you must acquit". (From OJ trial!!)

I don't think I have ever seen informtion leaked from a prelim in Canada. The ban is lifted once the trial has ended, or if it has been deemed that there is insufficient evidence to have a trial.

It is pretty much the norm for the defence team to request a ban during prelim. The ban is put in place so that it doesn't taint the potential jury pool for the trial. It's open to the public and media, because that is also the norm, though anyone attending the prelim cannot post publicly what has occurred during the prelim, or they could see themselves up on charges themselves. HTH

Aah, gotcha. Thank you. I guess I just assumed if there was a publication ban the public/media would not be allowed in.

:lurk: I just remembered how useful Twitter can be for news.

Apparently, Magnotta was seen "dabbing" at his eyes today, as if wiping away tears. :liar:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail