Transfer to zoo goes really badly for Bubba the lobster

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Bubba, the 23-pound lobster that caught national attention when he was spared the cooking pot, died yesterday, nearly 24 hours after his transfer to Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium.

An aquarium spokeswoman said that the lobster became lethargic during the day and never ate the food that was offered to him. He died at about 3 p.m. A necropsy will be performed, but the cause of Bubba's death may never be determined. "We knew it was a risk to take him," said spokeswoman Connie George. "We thought we would be the best people to take him for the time being."

Wholey's in the Strip District acquired the giant lobster Thursday and had offered him for sale. One bidder offered $500 to save him and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals lobbied to have him returned to the ocean.

Robert Wholey III decided to donate Bubba to PPG Aquarium, which planned to monitor the lobster for a week or so before sending him to a Ripley's aquarium.

"Unbelievable," Wholey said when he learned of Bubba's death. "He left here happy, alive and kicking."

Some thought Bubba could be 100 years old, but experts estimated his age to have been between 30 and 40.

Joe Choromanski, vice president of husbandry for Ripley's Aquariums, said he had concerns about the lobster's health, but had been hopeful that the "rescue mission," as he put it, would succeed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05062/465527.stm

Wow...I am shocked reading this. I thought he was so cool and thought myself he should be returned to the ocean..I was glad to hear he had been saved and would not be someones meal....what a shame that he died. :(

:confused: Wow! Being born and raised on the coast of Maine I am shocked that Babba, upon his demise, didn't end his life as a "Down Maine" party entree.

Oh gee.... I can't believe that. What a shame... wish he could have just been left in the sea.

blueclouds said:
Oh gee.... I can't believe that. What a shame... wish he could have just been left in the sea.

Ah Blueclouds, do not dispair! Those yankees "down Maine" will not waste the remains. Assumtion of the conversation at the lab he was sent to:
Tech 1: What do you suggest we do with this "Bubba" situation we have
been put in?
Tech 2; How about we spread the word that he died of a "lonely heart".
We will say that it seems he missed all of the attention he was
used to receiving at the old home he was in, the fishing wharf.
Tech 1: Lobster feed at my place Fri. night. Bring some steamed clams.
Tech 2: You got it!

Puca said:
Ah Blueclouds, do not dispair! Those yankees "down Maine" will not waste the remains. Assumtion of the conversation at the lab he was sent to:
Tech 1: What do you suggest we do with this "Bubba" situation we have
been put in?
Tech 2; How about we spread the word that he died of a "lonely heart".
We will say that it seems he missed all of the attention he was
used to receiving at the old home he was in, the fishing wharf.
Tech 1: Lobster feed at my place Fri. night. Bring some steamed clams.
Tech 2: You got it!
PUCA............am I supposed to slap you???? :slap: :slap: :slap: :angel:

blueclouds said:
PUCA............am I supposed to slap you???? :slap: :slap: :slap: :angel:
I would hope not, but a spanking might be nice!
I KNOW: Pig/Pig/ PIG! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back