Police Who Rescued Men Bill Them 'For Being Ignorant'

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
MONTPELIER, Vt -- Four Pennsylvania men who were lost in the woods for 30 hours in December after going out of bounds at Killington Resort were sent bills Thursday for the cost of their rescue by state police.

Each of the men was assessed $4,177.87 to cover the cost of the rescue, said Lt. Donald Patch, whose barracks was in charge of the search Dec. 20, a night when temperatures plummeted to between 20 and 25 below zero.

"Let's face the facts: Some people get lost accidentally, things happen, they make a mistake and that's one thing," Patch said. "When you're purposely skiing out of bounds, knowing you're going out of bounds, that's a different story, especially when you're not prepared."

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/4253445/detail.html

Wasn't there a comedian once that joked about people paying him $5 every time they did something stupid? I have to say, if you choose to ignore the rules, why should rescuers put their lives on the line for you. I think they should be made to pay the bills and if any laws were broken, slap a fine on them for that as well. Make an example out of them and maybe the next person will think twice before doing the same stupid act.

Being a Vermont resort slave I not only agree with this, but applaud it.
People don't realize that this is not your backyard, ski or ride of course and you can and usually do end up lost.
They should pay the costs involved in their rescue. And then thank God there wasn't someone else who needed the search and rescue services being used to find them, someone who didn't get lost by trying to be "Joey Backcountry"!
:loser: Pay up buddy!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back