CA CA - Mendocino Co., Male, 25-45, in shallow grave by Eel River, Oct'12

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Slow progress identifying human remains found in October

A man between the ages of 25 and 45 with a height between 5 feet 11 inches and 6 feet 5 inches was buried in a shallow grave along the Eel River near Piercy, according to the anthropologists who examined the remains. Detectives believe the man was the victim of a homicide, but no cause of death has been identified.

The remains were found in a shallow grave along a small shelf by the Eel River near the 83000 block of Highway 271 on October 30.

The unidentified Humboldt County family that discovered the grave has kayaked on the Eel River in the area for years. A few years ago, they spotted the tip of a white men's athletic shoe poking out of the ground a few yards above the normal river level. For years they believed it was debris washed up on the river's shore.

At the end of October, during a kayaking and mushroom hunting excursion, they noticed the tip of a second shoe poking up suspiciously next to the first one.

The father investigated what turned out to be the shallow gravesite ...

Read More:
http://www.willitsnews.com/ci_22793791/slow-progress-identifying-human-remains-found-october

I know it says that they believe this man is a victim of homicide- isn't it pretty unusual to bury a victim?

http://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/ci_22846757/mcso-seeking-publics-help-identify-remains-found-piercy

By TIFFANY REVELLE
Updated: 03/22/2013 12:00:14 AM PDT

<snipped>
The tattered shirt found on the skeleton bears a faded message that is hard to read in the photograph, but authorities determined the shirt says, "Before I started working here I drank, smoked, and used foul language for no reason at all. But thanks to this job, I now have a reason."

20130322__10_local_GALLERY.jpg

I am sure that shirt was mass produced but still, fairly distinctive. Hopefully someone will remember that their MP had a shirt like that.

http://www.times-standard.com/local...entifying-human-remains-helps-law-enforcement

The Mendocino Sheriff's Office has released photographs of clothing, shoes, and other items found with the victim, in the hopes that someone might be able to identify the man.

&#8221;With this case, it's obvious with the condition of the grave and condition of the body it was a victim of a homicide,&#8221; Caudillo said. &#8220;And, the death was obviously suspicious. We're hoping the person has been reported missing ... so we can do proper notifications and proper comparisons.&#8221;

Once the Chico lab was able to determine that the remains were male, the sheriff's office started looking at the missing persons cases that have been reported, and sent DNA to the California Department of Justice DNA Crime Lab Facility.

Caudillo said that the sheriff's office doesn't believe the remains are that of Chris Giaque, a man who went missing in August 2003 and was last seen north of Laytonville, based on a conversation the office had with Giaque's father and how long the body has been in the grave.

After looking at the clothing, the sheriff's office believes the remains are that of someone who grew up in the &#8220;Pro-wing age.&#8221; Pro-wing is a brand of Payless Shoe Source shoes that thrived in the late 1980s to early 1990, Caudillo said. Giaque was 36 at the time.

The sheriff's office is still waiting to hear back from the DOJ crime lab and is working on identifying the remains found near Piercy.

They spelled Chris Giauque's name wrong in the article, but they don't think the John Doe is Chris:

Chris Giauque
giauque_chris3.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/giauque_chris.html

Well, when did pro-wings first come out?

That should answer a lot of questions

Well, when did pro-wings first come out?

That should answer a lot of questions

That was what I was trying to figure out. Both of Hanna's possibles went missing in 1985-1986, which would seem to be right at the margin of being too early to have owned Pro-Wings.

BTW, welcome to WS Hannah.

That was what I was trying to figure out. Both of Hanna's possibles went missing in 1985-1986, which would seem to be right at the margin of being too early to have owned Pro-Wings.

BTW, welcome to WS Hannah.

Thanks! Like a lot of people, I've been reading on here for a while, and just now got the urge to start posting.

Thanks for making the point about the Pro-Wings. After looking into it more, Jordan knock-offs started around 1985, so the shoes would've had to have been almost brand new at the time of disappearance. Plus, based on their pictures, I can't really imagine these guys wearing Pro-Wings.

This case (along with two other Mendocino county cases) is reviewed today in the Lost Coast Outpost (LOCO) in hopes someone will remember something. In the comments, someone makes the point that the victim could have bought the shoes and shirt second hand, later than they were produced. There are pictures of the T-shirt, pants, shoes, and knife.

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2014/nov/28/unindentified-mendo-bodies/

Random thought: Researching the earliest production of ProWings shoes will tell the earliest possible time the homicide could have occurred, but what else could it prove?

My Vegas betting odds are on this John Doe having been a "trimmigrant" who crossed a local grower & paid for it with his life. The placement of the body is probably deliberate & meant to have sent a message. Don't expect any local co-operation to ID this Doe but I'd bet you anything some local people know what happened & who he is.

The Emerald Triangle is not an innocent or pretty place.

The Emerald Triangle is beautiful...but the increasing number of huge illegal marijuana plantations is leading to violence in the woods. Another unusual effect is that we are attracting these illegal growers from as far away as Bulgaria! LE sometimes busts Mexican Indians who don't even speak Spanish, and don't even know what country they are in.

And so the Emerald Triangle has an extraordinary number of missing persons and cold cases. All the bodies in these woods are probably never going to be found.

The Emerald Triangle is beautiful...but the increasing number of huge illegal marijuana plantations is leading to violence in the woods. Another unusual effect is that we are attracting these illegal growers from as far away as Bulgaria! LE sometimes busts Mexican Indians who don't even speak Spanish, and don't even know what country they are in.

And so the Emerald Triangle has an extraordinary number of missing persons and cold cases. All the bodies in these woods are probably never going to be found.

From my sources (Triangle lifers)..... truth be told the level of violence & craziness has always been high, just more covered up.

The Mexicans who do grows use Mexican Indians because they are guaranteed to not cause problems (the people are basically hostage labor.)

My brother got shot at for walking near a grow in the early 1980s. Drug traffickers don't mess around, whether their product is quasi legal or not. All about the money....

Indeed, it is all about illegal $$$. And while there has been violence in the past, it seems to be escalating. Lawlessness has increased to the point that LE goes into Spy Rock and Island Mountain in Mendocino County only occasionally and in force. To give an idea of how large these plantations get, recent raids uncovered a plantation of 9000+ plants. Another raid tore out 53,000 plants--a potential 26 tons of pot. Rumors abound around here that grows are by the Mafia, the Mexican Mafia, or any of a number of other large criminal organizations. One thing for sure. The mom and pop growers are being crowded, and the medical growers are being harassed by both sides. And people are being murdered because of it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smartowl
Back