Mother: Son Suspended Because She Wouldn't Spank Him

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. -- A 6-year-old boy has been suspended from a Christian school in Illinois after his mother refused to spank him.................................
She said she knew he was a disciplinary problem, but she never anticipated what occurred on Wednesday.

Fallaw-Gabrielson said when she arrived at Schaumburg Christian School to pick the boy up, an assistant administrator ordered her to spank him. When she refused, the official said her son was suspended

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/education/4257962/detail.html

I'm a big believer in corporal punishment at home and at school. BUT not for those dinky stupid offenses that the school listed.

"One of the problems, his mother said, was that the school did not deal creatively with a rowdy but polite 6-year-old who tests at the 3rd-grade level and may have been restless and bored.

Between September and March, Chandler got 20 "Tally Reports" outlining his misbehavior at school.

Many were for talking too much in class. "Chandler had a bad day today. He talked all day," one said. Another said: "Chandler has been showing off all day."

Another reported that Chandler brought gum to school, which isn't allowed. "He offered gum to me," the teacher wrote. When she declined, he began chewing it himself."

Good thing she got him out of there before they called the cops on him.

Im not taking sides on this one *BUT* I will bet you a million dollars the Mother,when she registered him at this Christian school,signed a paper regarding punishment and that spanking was an option.Most Christian schools have all of that outlined in their policy and the parent must sign off on it.

IMO she cant agree to something then not only back out but then have the chutzpah to cry about it.

She knew what she signed up for and if she was unhappy about her sons behavior and/or treatment in school why did she wait so long to complain???

messiecake said:
Im not taking sides on this one *BUT* I will bet you a million dollars the Mother,when she registered him at this Christian school,signed a paper regarding punishment and that spanking was an option.Most Christian schools have all of that outlined in their policy and the parent must sign off on it.

IMO she cant agree to something then not only back out but then have the chutzpah to cry about it.

She knew what she signed up for and if she was unhappy about her sons behavior and/or treatment in school why did she wait so long to complain???
My son attended Christian schools through grades 1-12, and there were no papers to sign regarding spanking/corporal punishment. It seems, apparently, that there wasn't anything signed at this school either. If there was, the school would have spanked the student instead of trying to force the mother to do so.

jannuncutt said:
My son attended Christian schools through grades 1-12, and there were no papers to sign regarding spanking/corporal punishment. It seems, apparently, that there wasn't anything signed at this school either. If there was, the school would have spanked the student instead of trying to force the mother to do so.

My children attended a PUBLIC school that had corporal punishment. Paperwork needed to be signed by me each year.

It sounds to me (based on limited information) like he had a long series of mild but real behavior problems that the mom simply refused to deal with. I can understand why the school had to call her in and essentially say, "Deal with your child here and now, since he's not being dealt with effectively at home over these issues." Schools are left in a bind when they try to manage ongoing behavior problems with children who have no accountability at home. I taught in public school for 5 years and had my hands tied with that kind of situation and family. Repeat behavior problems occurred because there was no fear of consequences at home for misbehavior at school. And in public schools in California there is no corporal punishment, and political correctness reigns supreme. Suspension was often our only option, and it really didn't help a bit once they came back to school. Their parents were too busy justifying and affirming their child's actions, and indoctinating their child to the "fact" that everybody else was wrong.

deb, I agree with you.I think the mother was not effetively dealing with this child at home. I believe that this is the reason she was asked to spank this child at school. I think that this is the kind of mother that will take up her childs side no matter what the offense.I have seen so many parents that reinforce this type of behavior.

My children ages 10 and 14 have always been in private school. The first school they attened did have a spanking policy. If a child needed to be spanked a parent was permitted to come in and do this or, it would be given by the administrator in the presence of another staff member. In the five years our children were at that particular school I very rarely heard of a child recieving a spanking. Our current school does not have a spanking policy.

I raised 5 kids and never spanked any of them. Had anyone ever ordered me to spank my child i would have told them to kiss my a$$. There are more affective dicipline methods then spanking.

tybee204 said:
I raised 5 kids and never spanked any of them. Had anyone ever ordered me to spank my child i would have told them to kiss my a$$. There are more affective dicipline methods then spanking.
I totally agree. If anyone ever laid a hand on my kid, their hands would be broken.
The only problem here is that she was required to sign something prior to enrolling him that would allow for this option. She probably didn't think it would apply to her kid.

LOL even if I had signed something while enrolling I would tell them to absolutely not. I am not an advocate of punishing children with humiliation and degredation.

tybee204 said:
LOL even if I had signed something while enrolling I would tell them to absolutely not. I am not an advocate of punishing children with humiliation and degredation.

The form I had to sign each year gave the parent the option to *opt* out of corporal punishment.

The way they did it was it was the absolute LAST resort. It was only implemented when all other options failed. It wasn't something that was ever done lightly.

golfmom said:
The form I had to sign each year gave the parent the option to *opt* out of corporal punishment.

The way they did it was it was the absolute LAST resort. It was only implemented when all other options failed. It wasn't something that was ever done lightly.
I'M SORRY BUT IT'S NOT AN OPTION EVER!!!

I am firmly against spanking children. I sure as heck would not let anyone else hit them. I think that hitting a child sends them the message that it is okay to hit if you are angry and makes them more likely to act out.

teonspaleprincess said:
I am firmly against spanking children. I sure as heck would not let anyone else hit them. I think that hitting a child sends them the message that it is okay to hit if you are angry and makes them more likely to act out.

I guess that's the absolute cardinal rule for me ... NEVER spank while angry ... never, never, never ...

I've only had to resort to spanking less than a handful of times.

We don't spank in my house, unless it's for doing something dangerous.

I've only done it a few times, and the backlash is horrible. Mine that is...I feel so disgusted with myself.

Sudzi said:
We don't spank in my house, unless it's for doing something dangerous.

I've only done it a few times, and the backlash is horrible. Mine that is...I feel so disgusted with myself.

This is gonna hurt me more than you!!! LOL
:blowkiss:

golfmom said:
The whole idea of parenting is to teach your children how to behave in various situations. When you raise your hands to discipline them, all you have acknowledged is that you are frustrated, but you haven't taught them the appropriate way to handle themselves. The punishment has to fit the crime. Bringing a toy to school should not result in a spanking. Taking the toy away until he has earned it back seems more appropriate to me.
I also think on a very practical level, if you are angry and frustrated enough to hit your kids, then maybe you should just remove yourself from the situation until cooler heads prevail.

Well, I guess somebody needs to call CPS because I believe in spanking. :behindbar

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back