Airport Sign Falls onto Family, Crushes 10-Year Old to Death

Blondie in Spokane

Reaction score
Horror as boy, 10, killed as airport sign abruptly topples over trapping and injuring young family of five

A 10-year-old boy is dead after a large airport sign abruptly collapsed on a family of five trapping and injuring the boy's mother and her four children on Friday afternoon.

Police in Alabama say Heather Bresette and her children, between 6 and 10-years-old, were standing beneath a flight information sign at the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport when without warning it fell.

Luke Bresette, 10, was pronounced dead at Children's of Alabama, said Deputy Coroner Derrick Perryma. His mother is said to be in critical condition at University Hospital, spokeswoman Nicole Wyatt said.

There's no word yet on the other children's condition with two said to be hospitalized.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...neath-falling-airport-sign.html#ixzz2OJTFy4sT

In the comments, someone knows this family. They tell the DM that they have posted the WRONG pictures of a totally different family !

In the comments, someone knows this family. They tell the DM that they have posted the WRONG pictures of a totally different family ! From info in the comment ,it's easy enough to find the real family.

Horrible story and the DM just made it worse.

Not only the DM. Almost all of our local news outlets are using those same photos. :(

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

A number of years ago I worked as an executive at Macy's new York Herald Square store. One day as I was returning from having lunch with a co-worker, we witnessed the whole facade of the wall above the main floor elevators fall to the ground. It was made of plaster and was quite heavy, and made a resounding crash when it hit the floor. Due to some sort of miracle, no one was crushed beneath it because if they had, they probably would have been crushed to death or at the least, seriously injured. I feel for this family and the boy who died in this horrifying way. It can happen anywhere.

The airport completed the first phase of a more than $201 million modernization effort and opened newly renovated concourses about a week ago.

Mayor William Bell said he talked with the boy's father - who was not injured - and is pressing officials to explain how the sign toppled over.

'I cannot come close to understanding his heartache. But I will get answers. I'm calling on the airport authority to thoroughly investigate this horrible incident. I want a full report on my desk as quickly as possible,' he told AL.com.

Airport officials met Saturday, but would not elaborate on other safety measures being taken.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-newly-refurbished-airport.html#ixzz2ORAVtlku

Alabama airport STILL using video cabinet like one that killed boy - now with a 'don't touch' sign

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-cabinet-like-killed-boy-dont-touch-sign.html

An Alabama airport is still using a large panel of video monitors just like the one that tipped over and killed a 10-year-old Kansas boy last week.

The approximately 9-foot-tall cabinet was flashing flight information on three screens near baggage claim Wednesday, five days after a similar display killed Luke Bresette, 10, one floor above.

A small warning sign there tells visitors not to touch the cabinet. A portable metal fence on wheels is in place to keep people away.

Airport spokeswoman Toni Herrera-Bast says a similar cabinet was removed from another area, but she didn't have any immediate information about the one still in use

This is just a horrific story. I wonder if there was something irregular about the sign in that particular area, or what the investigation will uncover as far as why it fell. I also wonder if these are the same as other airports use...

I just can't imagine what it's like for the father right now - and what it will do to the mother when she is finally told. My prayers go out to the family and their friends as well - for healing, and for strength. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back