UT - Parkway Rapist:A monster among criminals

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
His DNA - taken from a database of samples from more than 20,000 prisoners - was matched with evidence collected in the early 1990s, when a serial rapist stalked women along the Jordan River Parkway in Salt Lake City.
Thirteen victims have been identified by police. Most were in their teens. The youngest was 9.
The statute of limitations for prosecution had long since passed, but the state had a trump card: Romero, who recently had been paroled after serving 10 years of a five-to-life sentence for armed robbery, was back in prison after being caught smoking marijuana - a parole violation.
Upon reviewing the DNA evidence, the state Board of Pardons and Parole voted to rescind Romero's previously scheduled July release in favor of 25 more years in prison.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Very interesting article, regarding the man accused of being the parkway rapist. Identified by DNA while he was in prison on other charges. He describes his life before and after being identified.

Suspected 'Parkway Rapist' can't get a lawyer to take his case

Lawyers wanted: Suspected 'Parkway Rapist' can't get an attorney to take his case
By Matthew D. LaPlante
The Salt Lake Tribune

He was a two-bit robber with an upcoming parole and an intimidating gaze. A criminal among criminals, but not a monster.
Not yet.
Like other inmates, he looked down on sex offenders - especially those who victimized children. He liked to brag about the day he attacked a prisoner who wasn't willing to "accept his place" at the bottom of the criminal hierarchy known as "the sinner's ladder."
Family members on the outside kept his "book," or prison bankroll, loaded. Inmates with cash can buy better clothing, better shoes, novels and even televisions for their cells.
Rudy Michael Romero used to have all those things.
And he had something even more important: In a dangerous world where status often dictates safety, Romero was safe.
"I may have been a piece of sh-- outside these walls, but in here people knew who I was," Romero told The Salt Lake Tribune. "I was somebody in here. People revered me."
But that was before a Salt Lake City Police detective came with a warrant for his blood.
"That," says Romero, pausing to stare down at his prison-issued slippers, "was before I was the Parkway Rapist."

"I don't have nothing": It was one year ago this month that Romero lost his status, his future and his family.

... In the days after they came to draw his blood, Romero, a Catholic, says he asked for a priest because he wanted to confess.

... With each move, he has been strip-searched - his body probed for contraband. The searches are unwelcome, invasive, emasculating. Prisoners who resist are searched by force.
"It's sexual assault," he cries, noting that he has never been caught with any contraband. "It's rape. Don't you understand? I don't deserve this."

Full story

I disagree with the first part of this article. It states he wasn't a monster, not yet. YES, he was and is a monster. A monster who had not been found out, yet.

Yes, I have empathy for the victim being raped. She's thinking "I don't deserve this, it's sexual assault".

One of his victims was NINE. I guess I'm all out of empathy.
Leave him in a cage, like the animal he is.

I am STRONGLY against there even being a statute of limitations. Why should justice have a deadline????? It's absolute dumbest law I have ever heard of. Justice should be an option forever!!!

Dark Knight said:
I am STRONGLY against there even being a statute of limitations. Why should justice have a deadline????? It's absolute dumbest law I have ever heard of. Justice should be an option forever!!!

DK...I wholeheartedly agree! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mare

There is no limitation for the fear, anger and hurt his victims will live with for the rest of their lives. How will a 9 yr old ever feel like a normal teenager or a confident young woman? He needs to rot. Such a shame he doesn't like his new place in the prison. He should have thought about that before he raped others.

This reporter is a real piece of work. Wonder how he would feel if the guy had raped his mother, wife, daughter...:loser:

1986 said:
....This reporter is a real piece of work. Wonder how he would feel if the guy had raped his mother, wife, daughter... ...

The reporter is quoting the person interviewed. I seriously doubt this is his view or take on things.

I think the article served it's purpose. It was meant to show that those who victimize are afforded more than those they victimize.

It made me think "what else can I do to change the laws as they are now?"

We all need to be involved in making changes that will ultimately affect us, and our families.

Blessings to all, Lanie

WasBlind thanks for posting the link to this story. I jsut now realized I didn't have it in the original post. Thank you for finding it.

1986 said:
There is no limitation for the fear, anger and hurt his victims will live with for the rest of their lives. How will a 9 yr old ever feel like a normal teenager or a confident young woman? He needs to rot. Such a shame he doesn't like his new place in the prison. He should have thought about that before he raped others.

This reporter is a real piece of work. Wonder how he would feel if the guy had raped his mother, wife, daughter...:loser:

I know how you feel 1986!
But, I gotta testify that though their lives will never, ever be the same,
they can indeed TRIUMPH over this tragedy. I know. Truly.

much love and prayers,

Ariel

Dark Knight said:

Amen Dk, Amen! And God bless you for that passionate post!

:)

Love in Christ,

Ariel

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member