Woman wants more than $100,000 after her beloved cat is killed

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]A Chicago woman whose cat was mauled to death by a Rottweiler at an animal hospital is entitled to damages for the pain and suffering she's felt since her cat was killed, a state court ruled Monday.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mary Ann Anzalone, 45, wants more than $100,000 from Kragness Animal Hospital, the Far South Side clinic where her 4-year-old cat, "Blackie," was killed.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Though Cook County Judge Barbara Disko dismissed Anzalone's claim for "intentional infliction of emotional distress," the Illinois Court of Appeals reversed that decision, saying that while the amount might have seemed excessive, Anzalone provided a good argument for the pain she's felt since her cat was killed.[/font]

<!--startsubhead-->[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nightmares and crying[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Anzalone said she's "cried constantly following Blackie's violent death and continues to cry every time she thinks about it to this date," adding she's "lost sleep" and has "recurring waking thoughts and nightmares in which she envisions Blackie, a declawed cat, ripped apart by a Rottweiler."[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Anzalone, who is unmarried and has no children, said the cat was like her child and said the loss has caused her stress, headaches and a weight gain of about 40 pounds.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]She said she "cherished Blackie for the unconditional love and companionship she provided."[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"Nothing is going to bring a loved one back -- not people or companion animals," said Anzalone's attorney, Amy Breyer, who specializes in animal law.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"The point of trying to recover monetary damages is to establish for the whole world to see that this relationship had value," she added. "This shows it's not OK to say 'it's just a cat -- get it out of my face'."
[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-cat08.html
[/font]

I think this woman should adopt a child and treat the child as well as she did the cat.

After reading her story, I think she definitely deserves damages, but that $100,000 was out of line.

golfmom said:
After reading her story, I think she definitely deserves damages, but that $100,000 was out of line.

It depends upon the net worth of the defendant. If someone sued let's say a part time employee with three kids to support, $100,000 would seem excessive. However, if someone sued let's say Brad Pitt, that amount money is but a drop in the bucket.

I agree she deserves something... but $100,000 ???

lisag said:
I agree she deserves something... but $100,000 ???

I don't know if this will make you feel better or worse Lisa, but his liability insurance should probably cover this.

I agree she deserves something, since it was the animal clinics responsibility to take care of the cat, but that seems like so much.
But, I suppose, like you said before, the more money they have, the more they can be sued for...

Only in America. Why here in Denver a man stubbed his toe while walking barefoot on an old uneven sidewalk. He sued the city for pain and suffering because his toe hurt any time he would walk and walking was his favorite activity being retired. It was decided that he should get $50,000 a year for life for pain and loss of enjoyment of life( walking was his favorite activity).

--- All made up. If the hospital offers her a choice of a new cat, with free vet care for 1-2 years, maybe she won't need to sue and everybody could be happy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back