MA - Convicted rapist Gary Irving caught in Maine

maima

Still learning.
Reaction score
Gary Allen Irving was convicted in Massachusetts of 3 rapes 35 years ago (when he was about 17). He was allowed by the judge at the time to be free until his sentencing(!) and subsequently fled. After hiding for 35 years, he was found and arrested in Maine:

Convicted Rapist Gary Irving Captured After 35 Years on the Run, Say Mass. Police
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...ed-after-35-years-on-the-run-say-mass-police/

Rapist Captured in Gorham After 35 Years: 'How Did You Find Me?'
http://www.pressherald.com/news/Mass-rapist-caught-in-Maine-after-35-years-.html

Just wondering if any cold case rapes -- or murders? -- in Maine or Massachusetts can now be linked to Irving?!

I am wondering about Janice Pockett in Tolland, CT. Article said he knocked one victim off her bike. Could he have had reason to be across the border to CT at that time?

Looks like he would have been only 13 in 1973.

Here's some news. While it doesn't have any bearing on the case, it may be interesting to some. Gary Irving's mother is named Peggy Josselyn Irving. My mother was Dorothy Josselyn. They are first cousins. Peggy was flower girl at my mom's wedding. That makes Gary and I second cousins. His om also lived on the same street as my brother but they never knew that. While have I have never met him, the case has been one of family folklore. I actually spoke to his mom a few months ago about another family matter and she made mention of "her boys", which indicated to me, she knew where he was. The family has always thought so. What I have learned from family members was the Irving boys were trouble. When Gary was convicted the judge let him go home for a few days to settle his affairs. Now what kind of affairs does a kid that age have? His father was a friend of the judge (I think the dad was in law enforcement) and Gary coincidentally skipped town. The fact that he was able to hide so long in plain sight is amazing. I think it was done with the help of mom and dad. Maybe even an uncle. Peggy has one brother.
So that's my brush with fame. Heck, I just realized all the famous people I know are crooks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back