Mexico Mexico - Marc Menard, 44, Canadian missing in Nuevo Laredo, 14 March 2013

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2013/04/01/20700706.html
"Marc Menard, 44, lived just north of Montreal and was in regular contact with family and friends since he left in December for his three-month trip. He hasn't been heard from since March 14.

Marc Morneau, a close friend of Menard's, told QMI Agency that Mexican authorities haven't offered useful information about his friend.

"Our research showed that nothing is coming out of Mexico"

Google translation.. http://fr.canoe.ca/infos/societe/archives/2013/04/20130401-121714.html
"Quebecers staying in Mexico close to Marc Ménard informed Mr. Fortin he had an appointment the day he gave news for the last time by Facebook.

"They told me he was going to meet an ex-girlfriend March 14, then he went to Real is a desert in that area."

http://www.680news.com/2013/04/01/q...ute-to-dangerous-u-s-mexican-border-crossing/
"Marc Morneau, a longtime friend of Menard’s, said on Monday it’s not characteristic of his friend, a bus driver in Laval, Que., to simply disappear.

“It’s not like him,” Morneau said. “He has a modest life in Quebec, but he had obligations here, taxes to pay, money in his account and a daughter who has been waiting for him.”

Morneau said the last place Menard had contact with his family was Matehuala, about 500 kilometres south of the U.S.-Mexican border.

In Matehuala, there was a withdrawal from his bank account on March 12. Morneau says there was also at least one friend who had a Skype conversation with Menard on March 14.

“There might have been others, but the last one we’re sure of was on the 14th,” Morneau said. “He was in a hotel room, said he was on his way to the border and was hoping to get there soon.”

The mention of Matehuala and "Real" leave me wondering if the intended reference was Real de Catorce. Catorce is a beautiful old silver mining town at about 9000 feet which is renowned for its annual peyote pilgrimmages by natives to the nearby desert. Peyote is a big part of the culture and attracts many European and American tourists.

Was he travelling alone the entire 3 months or did he have friends he was meeting up with along the way? So many of my friends still travel to Mexico for vacation but they all stay on the resort...not that bad things cant happen there either. Quite a few Canadians have been killed there lately.

:seeya: Welcome to WS HelperMonkey

http://globalnews.ca/news/444445/quebec-man-vanishes-en-route-to-infamous-u-s-mexican-border-town/
BBM
"Foreign Affairs has an advisory for the area warning against non-essential travel “due to continuously high levels of violence linked to organized crime.”
Menard had been going to Mexico yearly for the past few years, but always by plane and usually for shorter trips with a backpack. This time, he promised himself that he’d see it all, Morneau said.

Menard left for Mexico on Dec. 14. With celebrations surrounding the end of the Mayan calendar last December, Menard felt he had to be there. Some of the tattoos on his body were depictions of the calendar and pyramids.
“He was really a fanatic of Mayan culture,” said Morneau. “This was the year to take a trip with the Mayans, so he promised himself he’d do a full trip and see everything.”

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...eal-laval-missing-man-mexico-marc-menard.html
"Marc Ménard, the Laval, Que., man who went missing in northern Mexico, normally checked in with friends and family every day.

Friend Marc Morneau said not a day went by when he didn’t get a message or see a picture or Facebook update from Ménard.

“Every day,” said Morneau. “He didn't have a cellphone so it was a bit complicated. He really needed an internet connection, but yes, every day, he found a way to do it.”

Welcome to WS Helper Monkey!

When I lived in south Texas just a few years ago we traveled into Mexico frequently. The last trip however frightened me due to heavily armed individuals. Looking back it was unwise of us to travel there. Sometimes we don't see the danger til its too late. Perhaps thats what happened here. Hope he will be found. MOO

Marc Menard was driving his white 2003 Pontiac Transport (similar to image below), with Quebec's Licence Plate P95EHL-1

733839_618728188141283_365589136_n.jpg

Marc Menard avis de recherche Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marc-Menard-avis-de-recherche/618686788145423

wow, this certainly doesn't sound good. sounds like he was definitely in contact while on his trip... so why nothing now? his van is pretty old... i wonder what kind of condition it was in? that's a lot of driving for an old car like that to do. also - it has canadian plates... that's a little scary as it would easily attract someone who might be looking to get into trouble. HOWEVER, i have to wonder... even if someone saw canada plates... its an old, non-flashy car, what would make them think that the driver had much money?! unless someone noticed his bald head & tattoos, maybe they thought he was trouble too? i hope it turns out that he took an extended vacation, found a group of people with similar mayan interests that invited him to join them on their travels.

Quebec premier invokes missing Canadian in Mexico trip

The prime minister of Quebec said during a visit to Mexico on Friday that she talked with Mexican authorities about the case of a Canadian man who went missing three months ago in the north of the country.

Relatives of Marc Menard, 44, say they lost trace of the Quebec native on March 14, and that authorities told them he was attacked on that day by two men in Nuevo Laredo, a city bordering Texas.

[snip]

She said Mexican authorities have not provided any updates since May 13.

"We greatly regret that the (Canadian federal) government has not put pressure on the Mexican government," she said.

Nuevo Laredo police told the family that a man detained on March 15 was linked to the theft of Menard's minivan and that his alleged accomplice had fled.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back