WI - 7 dead, 4 injured in Brookfield church shooting, 12 March 2005

angie2980

Reaction score
There has been a hotel shooting right here in my city, down the road! Apparently happened at a church meeting, at the Sheraton Hotel. Gunman killed 4 people then killed himself. Two died on the way to the hospital, others died later. 10 year old girl shot and is in critical condition. A 15 and 17 year old boy were also killled, I'll keep you updated everytime there's new info!

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wauk/mar05/309035.asp

angie2980 said:
There has been a hotel shooting right here in my city, down the road! Apparently happened at a church meeting, at the Sheraton Hotel. Gunman killed 4 people then killed himself. Two died on the way to the hospital, others died later. 10 year old girl shot and is in critical condition. A 15 and 17 year old boy were also killled, I'll keep you updated everytime there's new info!

What a terrible thing.

angie2980 said:

Angie, didn't they find the man who shot the judge's husband and mother around there as well?
:furious: I hate hearing that children were killed! Let us know if you find out anything.

Yes, they did! He was found in West Allis which is about 10 miles from Brookfield. That happened on Wed. or Thurs I beleive. He also lived in New Berlin which is where the guy that did the shootings today lived. New Berlin is about 5 miles from the hotel.

What is going on with this area???

The news is coming out really slow. There is still no new news except for when the other 2 gentlemen died. It's been 6 hours since the shooting, and they are still not removing the bodies from the Hotel. Not quite sure what's going on.:banghead:

Here's a bit. The second link has video and audio.

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/4279073/detail.html

The suspect, a Waukesha County man of about 45 who was armed with a handgun, was affiliated with the church, which had been meeting at the hotel every Saturday morning for four or five years, he said.
Tushaus didn't identify the victims but gave approximate ages. He said two boys ages 15 and 17, a 72-year-old man and a 55-year-old woman died at the hotel. Three men, ages 58, 50 and 44, died later at a hospital.
Four others - a 52-year-old woman, a 20-year-old woman, a 20-year-old man and a 10-year-old girl - were in serious condition at Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital in Wauwatosa and Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.
After the shootings, some guests remained locked in their rooms after police surrounded the building, and officers would not allow anyone to enter or leave.

http://www.touchtmj4.com/

Eight dead, four injured
in Brookfield hotel shooting spree
Video: First news conference from the scene
Audio: 5 p.m. police news conference
~~

I think the "eight dead" may be wrong since every other story says 7.

This is terrible. My prayers for the victims. What the hell is happening around the country? Am I too sensitive or does it seem out of control? (remember I didn't sleep last night) Regardless, mindless crimes are are something I just can't get my mind around.

angie2980 said:
Yes, they did! He was found in West Allis which is about 10 miles from Brookfield. That happened on Wed. or Thurs I beleive. He also lived in New Berlin which is where the guy that did the shootings today lived. New Berlin is about 5 miles from the hotel.

What is going on with this area???

Angie, I was just there a few months ago ... I just don't get it, it's sortof like lightening striking twice. :confused:

concernedperson said:
This is terrible. My prayers for the victims. What the hell is happening around the country? Am I too sensitive or does it seem out of control? (remember I didn't sleep last night) Regardless, mindless crimes are are something I just can't get my mind around.

no concerned, I don't think you are too sensitive. Worldwide consciousness is at an all time chaotic state. Many people are frightened...
Fear breeds hate, anger and rage...
The "lesser evolved" the spirit, the "lesser evolved" reaction to this fear...
I personally beleive that we should all hold on to our hats...

Remember the Phoenix though.
Out of the ashes can spring eternal life...

Ok, they are now letting out the witnesses and some are doing interviews. Apparently, the man attended the whole service this morning (10:00 am-12:00), and when everyone was dismissed (he was sitting in the last row) he got up and just open fired! He had 3 loaded clips, and actually stopped to reload twice! The witness said that she thinks that he had planned to kill them all! The coroner is now backing up the the hotel the remove the bodies. They also found out that among the dead was an entire family! All she (the witness) heard was "this is for real" and heard shots. One man tried to stop him, he was not hurt, and after most the rounds were gone, he then killed himself.

This man was part of this church for years, he knew all the victims that he killed "very well" she said. The man was suffering from severe depression, and apparently his father died not too long ago, but she said she doubts that's the reason. He was "loner" who lived with his mom and sister. There are now a lot of witnesses talking, I'll keep you updated with all new info. This is just too sad.

God be with their families!

We are going to find a controlling mom in this situation. Breeding ground for many incidents. Sorry to jump the gun, but we see this all too often.

Casshew said:
another nutball with a gun :(

Ain't that the truth.
Why he felt the need to destroy other lives ... including an entire family ... is just beyond me.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=1&u=/ap/20050313/ap_on_re_us/hotel_shooting

BROOKFIELD, Wis. - The man who fatally shot seven people during a quiet church service before turning the gun on himself was on the verge of losing his job and upset over a sermon he heard two weeks ago, investigators said Sunday.

Terry Ratzmann left no suicide note and gave no explanation for the killings during Saturday's weekly meeting at a suburban Milwaukee hotel. It was unclear what specifically upset him, but Ratzmann was a member of the Living Church of God, a denomination whose leader recently prophesied that end times are near.
The church's minister, Randy L. Gregory, 51, and his son, James Gregory, 16, of Gurnee, Ill., died, along with Harold Diekmeier, 74, of Delafield; Richard Reeves, 58, of Cudahy; Bart Oliver, 15, of Waukesha; Gloria Critari, 55, of Cudahy; and Gerald A. Miller, 44, of Erin, according to police and published reports.

Marjean Gregory, 52, of Gurnee was hospitalized in critical condition and Matthew P. Kaulbach, 21, of Pewaukee and Angel M. Varichak of Helenville were hospitalized in satisfactory condition Sunday, a hospital spokeswoman said. A 10-year-old girl police identified as Lindsay also remained hospitalized.
The district attorney said Ratzmann was on the verge of losing his job with a Waukesha County firm, but he would not name it or say what it did. Colwell said Ratzmann told him he was a computer technician.

The neighbor said Ratzmann was so devout about attending church that he skipped Colwell's wedding because it was on a Saturday.

Reading a little about this church I have to say, no wonder this guy struggled with depression, my goodness.

Listening to the constant preaching on the end of the world, not sometime..but in the next 5 to 15 years.
Church, and a relationship with God should enrich your life, up-lift you, make you a better person.
I totally agree Casshew, this would attract people with beliefs on the fringe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbisme
Back