NY NY - Sylvia Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Reaction score
sylvialwowski.jpg

Sylvia Alice Lwowski, 22, Missing since September 6, 1975 from Staten Island, NY

Sylvia Alice Lwowski
Missing since September 6, 1975 from Staten Island, Richmond County, New York
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: April 28, 1953
Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4-5'6"; 120-125 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long, straight blonde hair; hazel eyes. Wears glasses.
Marks, Scars: Pierced ears.
Jewelry: Heart shaped engagement ring; a watch. She was carrying a handbag.
Dentals: Not available.
Fingerprints: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

On September 6, 1975, Sylvia went out with her fiance to a movie. He returned stating that during an argument, she thew her glasses against the dashboard and ran from the car. Sylvia has not been seen since.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

New York City Police
718-834-4580

Agency Case Number: 10074

Source Information:

Namus
The Doe Network: Case File 2928DFNY

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2928dfny.html

Please see attached police report and newspaper article re Sylvia's engagement

Attachments

• 1975 Police Report.pdf
    72.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Newspaper - Artical re- engagement.jpg
    Newspaper - Artical re- engagement.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 160
Fair enough-what may pass as abusive to one may be considered standard operating procedure to another. In any event, it's behavior that Sylvia was not accustomed to. I see your point-in my family, we yell at each other to make our feelings known, while my husband's family is disturbed by it

BBM

Very true. For example, I do not consider a 22 yo kicking an evidently drunk Father in public, even though he may have greatly embarrassed her, to be SOP.

I recall two particular alcoholic fathers of GFs when I was coming of age through young adulthood, and neither GF kicked their drunken fathers though they had been publicly humiliated by them.

I might view such behavior as a problem, as well.

BBM

Very true. For example, I do not consider a 22 yo kicking an evidently drunk Father in public, even though he may have greatly embarrassed her, to be SOP.

I recall two particular alcoholic fathers of GFs when I was coming of age through young adulthood, and neither GF kicked their drunken fathers though they had been publicly humiliated by them.

I might view such behavior as a problem, as well.

Glad you agree-it is something that does bother me, because physical violence is not something to which I am accustomed, and don't think it's the natural conclusion of a family dispute. Of course, my husband's family members do not raise their voices to each other as we do in mine. BF/F hitting his mother obviously disturbed Sylvia, or she wouldn't have mentioned it to MMQC-I think, for Sylvia, that was different than her kicking her dad, which could have been more of a shove with her foot as he is walking on his hands

Originally Posted by GoingByMyGut
Re the part BBM: MMQC, I recall you saying that Sylvia didn't have any serious BFs before the current BF/F ("She did have a few BF's but none serious."), which suggests to me that the pregnancy she aborted must have been the result of a casual relationship. If so, that had to make an already terrible situation to be in, potentially even more devastating. Is this how you see it?
Since abortion was legalized January 22, 1973, are you thinking it was somewhere in the middle of 1973 that SL had her abortion?

In an earlier post, Rosemadderlake said she thought she remembered reading somewhere that SL and her current BF/F had been together for 18-24 months. I myself have no knowledge of that -- does that length of time seem about right to you?

If so, it's sounding to me like the person who she got pregnant with may have been the last BF before the current BF. What can you tell us about him? Was he an SI'r? Did he go to school with one of you? Did you both grow up with and go to elementary, middle, and high school with him? That's a pretty extraordinary thing for two people to go through together -- pregnancy and an abortion. I am wondering if he and SL stayed friends or saw each other off and on throughout the years? Do you think he carried on thinking and caring about SL after they broke up (if in fact there was anything to break up, that is)?

Of course, I'm also wondering if the current BF/F was aware of the pregnancy and abortion in SL's past -- or if he could have found out about it later somehow, w/o SL's knowledge -- but I suspect that may be hard for any of us to put a finger on?

I'll try to answer parragraph by parragraph here...
1. Yes, more toward the early spring '73. As for another pregnancy, I seriously doubt it.

2. The length of time seems about right.

3. I did not know him. He was an upper classman and joined the military. I don't know if she ever kept in touch with him. The day of the termination was to my knowledge the last time she saw him. Not to forget. It was a time for sexual exploration. Now what the women of the 70's went through in late teens early 20's kids today do at 12. I blush when I hear conversations of kids when they think no one is listening. :blushing:

4. I can't say weather she ever told BF/F about past. To me past is past.

Bumping up a post of mine from the last thread:

MMQC, did you and SL both graduate in May of 1975 from your respective colleges? And if so, did you go to each other's graduation ceremonies? Did your families attend? Were there graduation parties at your homes or friends' homes as well? This seems like it would have been a huge milestone for you both ... if you think back on this time of the year, I wonder if you can recall any change in the way SL was looking at her future. Any friends she was spending time with?

Bump up from thread #1

Was Sylvia fluent (speak, read, write) or semi-fluent in any foreign language (s)?

1. Yes, more toward the early spring '73. As for another pregnancy, I seriously doubt it.

3. I did not know him. He was an upper classman and joined the military. I don't know if she ever kept in touch with him. The day of the termination was to my knowledge the last time she saw him. Not to forget. It was a time for sexual exploration. Now what the women of the 70's went through in late teens early 20's kids today do at 12. I blush when I hear conversations of kids when they think no one is listening. :blushing:

MMQC: Do you know if Sylvia told her parents about the abortion? If so, were they supportive of her?

-And bbm: Ain't that the truth! Double blush. :blushing: :blushing:

Bumping up GBMG's timeline:

September 6, 1975

Sat. afternoon-4-ish: MMQC & SL spend afternoon together. MMQC: “Mall shopping running errands etc. Dropped her off at home so she could get ready for date with BF/F. That was the last time I saw her.”

Sat. 5 or 6 PM: BF/F picks SL up at home for their date. ASWDeerHunter: “Charles came over to the residents around 5pm to see a movie Sylvia at a cinema about 20 min away.” Alternate time of “6 PM” added as per PR.

5/6-10 PM: Window of uncertainty. Date details unverified. Mall? Movie? Fight? Bus stop?

Sat. 10 PM: BF/F shows up at MMQC’s house, tells her about fight, asks her to pick SL up from the bus stop. MMQC: “I did not know exact time of DATE. What I do know is that BF/F did say after movie they had fight she got out of the car and would take the bus home.” and “He did say they had a fight and she stormed out of the car by the mall. He seemed angry.”

10-11 PM: MMQC & her father drive around the mall area, trying to find SL, but they do not find her. MMQC: “We guessed that the bus came in the time between.”

10:30 PM: BF/F drives to SL’s residence and explains what happened. ASWDeerHunter: “Charles returned to the house approx. 10:30 stating that during an argument Sylvia had thrown her glasses against the dash board of the car and ran off.” (MMQC: “I truly don't remember BF/F EVER going to parents home that night.” and re EL: “She never mentioned to me that BF/F ever came by.”)

10:45 PM-Midnight (?): EL searches for SL by car. ASWDeerHunter: “Eva then got in the car and drove around the Staten Island Mall, but didn’t see her.”

11 PM (?): MMQC talks with her parents and decides not to alarm SL’s family with her concerns about SL -- “...did not want to worry SL's parents or raise a red flag if not warrented.” She calls under the guise of needing to talk to SL for personal reasons. “I called SL home stating I needed to talk to my friend. Saying that I had an issue that I had to talk to my best friend about. No matter what time.”

Around Midnight (?): EL calls LE. ASWDeerHunter: “Eva Lwowski called the 122pct and tried to report a missing person but could not because see wasn't missing for 24 hrs. yet.” and “... it was after Eva returned from the Mall that she called the 122pct.”

2 AM-7 AM (?): EL calls MMQC. MMQC: “Then after several hours passed SL's mother called my home asking WHAT HAPPENED? SL did not return home. It was then I told her about BF/F coming to my home telling me about the fight etc.” and “She called me asking what was up as SL never came home and it was very early the next morning.”

Sun. AM: MMQC & EL search Wagner, local area. “I took her to the Wagner campus then in the morning and cruised around at our local haunts to see if she was there or if anyone had seen her.”

Sun. 6 PM: EL reports her missing to LE (time as per PR). ASWDeerhunter: “The following day, Eva went to 122 pct to make a formal missing persons report and the police basically said she was over 21 and didn’t really spend to much time or resources in locating her.” MMQC: “LE informed her that SL was an adult and was not considered missing until missing for more than 48 hours as I recall. Then they were to bring current photo and a list of what she was wearing etc. Then LE would contact them at their home to follow up and investigate.”

Mon-Tues. (?): MMQC and EL stay in touch. “For a day or two. I was in contact with SL's mother about this.”

Wed. (?): MMQC & father request help from ADA. “My parents lived next door to an ADA. I then asked my dad to come with me to ask ADA to do something. It was then someone finally contacted parents from LE.”

UNSPECIFIED: MMQC calls BF/F about SL. “I called BF/F to see if SL contacted him. He was VERY RUDE to me on phone stating he had been made a sucker of he had given her a very expensive ring and she takes off, and don't call again. His mother was having a breakdown about it and not to call again.”

“Days and weeks” after SL disappears: ASWDeerHunter: “Charles wouldn't answer and more questions concerning Sylvia.”

1-2 Weeks after disappearance: ASWDeerHunter: “A week or two later the family hired a privet investigator and am not sure of the outcome of that investigation except a different version of her running off came out.”

Just before Xmas '75: MMQC calls BF/F. MMQC: “I last spoke to BF/F just before Xmas '75. Told him Fifi died (SL's pet poodle) and he said (insert my real name) who. I reminded BF/F who I was and he cursed me and said don't ever call here again ...”

Sometime in 1979-84: MMQC hears about ring when she meets a fellow SI’er: Convo turns to SL, fellow SI’er tells MMQC that knows BF/F through his brother/band and claims BF/F is in possession of the engagement ring he gave Sl.

2010: Cold Case contacts MMQC. “Other than the cold case Det. Savage calling me in 2010 that I never spoke to LE.”

Eva is Sylvia's mom, correct? I am writing copy for the radio show tonight and want to make sure I have it down correctly.

BBM

Evidently, the military young man was with Sylvia at some point during the day of the procedure. Also, sounds as though he may have contributed financially to the termination.

MOO, but does not appear to me that this prior relationship was casual ("She did have a few BFs, but none serious.").

Eva is Sylvia's mom, correct? I am writing copy for the radio show tonight and want to make sure I have it down correctly.

Yes, Eva is Sylvia's mom.

When is your radio program and can we listen on the internet, through this website?

You can listen live and you can also download it after the live show is over. Click on the link in my signature line and it should take you to the show. There is also an announcement on the forums index page. The show is at 8PM EST and 5PM PST. Usually my segment on the cold case of the week is aired toward the end of the show, but once in awhile Tricia has me talk about it at the beginning.

MMQC, what was it that made you think EL had a tattoo on her arm (post 720)? I know ASWDeerHunter (post 738) has suggested this was not the case, but I am wondering how it might have become part of your recollections. Was it a visual -- did you see something on her arm? Or did the two of you talk about things over the years that made you think it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer