NC Cousins, 6 and 7 under dirt collapse, recovery effort underway

vibec

Reaction score
Words fail me...I can't imagine the anguish the families are feeling.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/21903267/children-trapped-wall-collapse-basement-lincoln-co-cedar-brook

LINCOLN COUNTY, NC (WBTV) -
Emergency crews said late Sunday the effort to find two children, who were trapped when dirt collapsed on them, is now a recovery mission.

Firefighters from four counties, including Charlotte, were called to the scene in the 5800 block of Cedarbrook Court in Stanley just after 6 p.m. Sunday.

Neighbors told the WBTV crew at the scene a man is in the process of building a house and was digging out the basement when a wall of dirt collapsed around two kids.

The article was updated to say both were found dead. RIP.

i just read about this in the local paper. RIP dear little ones :(

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<DA5HBMI83@news.ap.org>&ps=931

STANLEY, N.C. (AP) — Authorities on Monday recovered the bodies of two young cousins buried when a wall of dirt fell on them while they were playing in a hole at a home construction site in North Carolina.

The bodies of the 6-year-old girl and 7-year-old boy were pulled from a 24-foot-deep pit in the town of Stanley, outside of Charlotte, said Lincoln County Emergency Services spokesman Dion Burleson.............

The father had been digging with a backhoe on the site earlier in the day, said County Sheriff David Carpenter. He would not say what was being built or if the man was doing it alone or had professional help.

More at link.....

Note: I've already requested this post be combined with the first one on the case by vibec...sorry I missed it....

This is heartbreaking. One neighbor said he was maybe trying to build a bunker- it was a huge hole! So, he was trying to do something to protect his family, maybe horrible judgment, and now he will have to live with this for the rest of his life. Tragic and sad, all the way around. RIP, babies :praying:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20130408/US--Children.Trapped/

In an interview with The Associated Press, Carpenter later said deputies had not yet interviewed the family living in the home but planned to follow up on neighbors' reports that the man was excavating the two-story pit to build some sort of a protective bunker.

"They were so distraught we hope to be able to talk to them today and come up with some information on that," Carpenter said. "It's a very large hole. It would look to be something like that, but I don't know. ... We're going to find out exactly what his intentions were."

He said deputies would be speaking with county planning and zoning officials about any potential building code violations at the site.

Neighbor Bradley Jones said the children often played in the pit when the boy's father was working there. Jones, who said he works in construction, said there was no structure to support the pit's tall dirt walls and that he questioned the man about the hole's depth.

"I told Chelsea not to go in," Jones said, referring to advice he gave his teenage daughter, who babysat the children. "It was dangerous. There was nothing to reinforce those walls."

Grief, questions after collapse kills two children

"While parents grieve the death of two children buried under a wall of falling dirt, police are investigating possible charges against the father who was working in the two-story-deep hole when it collapsed."

"Jordan Arwood, 31, of Stanley, was operating a backhoe Sunday night in the pit when the walls caved in on the children. The bodies of the two young cousins, 6-year-old Chloe Jade Arwood and 7-year-old James Levi Caldwell, were dug out Monday morning."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57578726/grief-questions-after-collapse-kills-two-children/

He did a really, really dumb thing but I can't imagine a worse punishment than what he has to live with. God bless this family, especially the siblings of James :praying:

One of my classmates in high school's 4 year old son died in much the same manner (except it was a total, complete accident.) They were constructing a new home, and there were large piles of sand and dirt around the construction site. Dakota liked to dig and play in the piles, and his mom and dad didn't think much of it and checked on him often while they were working on the house. He obviously dug out a small hole in the side of a damp sand pile, which must have made a perfect little place for him to try and put his head? The sand collapsed, and his mom found him with only his upper torso covered in sand, but it was too heavy for him to get out by himself. :(

When we were building, I made sure my kids knew that they could not play in the piles, no matter what!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back