MN - Bart Swedin for shocking, shooting dog, Eagan, 2005

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
An Eagan man convicted of mistreating an animal after shooting of his family dog in a bathroom while his children slept upstairs was sentenced Thursday.

Bart Swedin, 38, was sentenced to 10 days in jail, 500 hours of community work at an animal shelter and two years probation by District Judge William Thuet, prosecutors said.

Swedin admitted that he had shot the 9-month-old Labrador puppy, Tootsie, after the dog chewed on a book and some carpet, according to a news release from Dakota County Attorney James Backstrom.

The police report said Swedin smelled strongly of alcohol when he was arrested.

Further investigation showed Swedin first shocked the dog several times with a shock collar, used for training, before shooting the animal. When Swedin's wife tried to help the dog, Swedin shocked her too.

Swedin pleaded also guilty to domestic assault and negligent storage of a firearm. Police found a loaded pistol and an unloaded rifle in an unlocked area of the garage.

Swedin's wife told police that the couple's two children were sleeping in their room directly above the bathroom when Swedin shot the dog three times with a 9 mm pistol, said Backstrom. The dog was found dead later in the garage.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S6909.html?cat=1

I think he ought to have to wear a shock collar and let the staff of the shelter shock him when he does something wrong (or maybe as a fund raiser thay could let visitors shock him after they tell them what he did). I'd pay good money to push that button a few times.
IMHO the punishment was not enough. This man is abusive and next time it won't be the dog who gets killed. I think animal abusers and killers should get prison or jail time and be required to attend counseling and I, for one, wouldn't let him NEAR an animal at my shelter. Let him scrub empty runs with a toothbrush.
There are some people who aren't fit to be in society and the largest majority of them abused and killed animals before moving on the abusing and killng people. When will we learn that this is far more serious a crime than it appears???

Only 10 days?! I would give him 10 years!! As cynder says, this is only the tip of the iceberg. This guy will continue with violent abusive behavior. How can anybody shoot a puppy???

I've said this again and again, our Laws..written to protect us, have not kept pace with the changing face of the world we live in.

People keep getting more and more violent, doing crimes our "forefathers" never thought of. The sentancing laws need to change to reflect the world we live in today.

Sudzi said:
I've said this again and again, our Laws..written to protect us, have not kept pace with the changing face of the world we live in.

People keep getting more and more violent, doing crimes our "forefathers" never thought of. The sentancing laws need to change to reflect the world we live in today.
AMEN. You are so right! :clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back