GUILTY CO - Michael Harris, 21 mos, beaten to death, Aurora, 2 Feb 2011

tiredblondy

Reaction score
Do we have a thread on this poor beautiful baby...I did several searches but could not find one...Michael Ryan Harris

Not one member of this baby's family was in the courtroom!

His abuser beat him so badly it severed little Michael's pancreas, ruptured nerve endings in his spine and caused his heart and lungs to stop functioning. He's with the angels now.

I'm so glad to hear what this judge had to say, especially the underlined parts which I underlined!God bless this judge.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...ett-sentenced-42-years-toddlers-beating-death

Michael, who died Feb. 2, 2011, was one of 72 children who died between 2007 and 2012 after child welfare officials had been alerted that they were being abused or neglected, The Denver Post and 9News reported in a 2012 series. Michael was one of the children profiled in that series, Failed to Death, last October.

"Frankly, I think somebody should take (social workers) in front of a grand jury and find out whether their conduct was criminal."

Key told authorities she heard her son crying — screaming — from behind a door while Scarlett beat him the night before he died. She said she never opened the door and didn't check on her son all night and left him alone with Scarlett the next morning when she went to work.
Key is serving 16 years in prison for her role in her son's death.

On Thursday, Melonakis, who also imposed that sentence, said he would have given Key a longer prison term if the law had allowed it.

"Michael Harris never had a chance in life," Melonakis said.

His mother failed him, and the agency charged with protecting him "demonstrated an appalling level of neglect," and now will "hide behind privacy laws" that might shed light on that negligence, the judge said.

"Children die and bureaucrats still have their jobs," he said.

When Melonakis announced Scarlett's 42-year sentence, his mother broke down, sobbing.

No members of Michael Harris' family were in the courtroom.

Read more: Outraged judge lays into child welfare workers at sentencing in toddler beating death - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...42-years-toddlers-beating-death#ixzz2QQUjDi00
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

:thud:

Judge Melonakis will forever be my hero.

Melonakis called the county's performance "extreme malfeasance" and said they had received reports three days before Michael's death that his older brother had a "suspicious" injury. Nevertheless, social workers never took that child to a doctor, and didn't examine Michael for injuries at all.

And dont you love how Scarlett's atty jumped on that bandwagon and said SS should be blamed as well? What an :censored:

I can't even imagine listening to my baby scream and not going in...just listening...just can't even imagine it...

Honestly... I understand that the murderer's mother may be shocked and in denial but...

Scarlett's mother, Lori Ramirez, pleaded for a lenient sentence for her son, whom she called "a loving, caring man."

But Melonakis said it was Scarlett whom a jury convicted of raining down blows so violent they severed Michael's pancreas. The force of the beating ruptured nerve endings in Michael's spine and caused his heart and lungs to stop functioning, the judge said.

Read more: Outraged judge lays into child welfare workers at sentencing in toddler beating death - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...42-years-toddlers-beating-death#ixzz2QceNAi3h

One shudders to think what the modsnip would have done to that poor baby if he hadn't been so loving and caring. Sheesh...

72 children who died between 2007 and 2012 as stated above after CPS was alerted to possible abuse... That is appalling!

72 children who died between 2007 and 2012 as stated above after CPS was alerted to possible abuse... That is appalling!

The number is likely higher in other states.
I wish every state was made to laid out all out like this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crime.junkie
Back