one-way ticket to Mars

TrackerSam

Reaction score
Want to go to Mars? Dutch organisation Mars One says it will open applications imminently. It would be a one-way trip, and the company hopes to build a community of settlers on the planet.

Future explorers take note. Applicants must be resilient, adaptable, resourceful and must work well within a team. The whole project will be televised, from the reality TV style selection process, to landing and beyond.
During the seven-to-eight month journey, astronauts will lose bone and muscle mass. After spending time on Mars' much weaker gravitational field, it would be almost impossible to readjust back to Earth's much stronger gravity, says Landsorp.

Successful applicants will be trained physically and psychologically. The team will use existing technology for all aspects of the project. Energy will be generated from solar panels, water will be recycled and extracted from soil and the astronauts will grow their own food - they will also have an emergency ration and regular top-ups as new explorers join every two years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22146456

Thanks, Sam.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care about MANNED-space flight any more? I can see advantages to the international space station, but our robots and censors are so good, we're getting info from probes all over the solar system and at least one probe is still transmitting data from well beyond Pluto.

Sending humans makes any space project vastly more difficult and what is the point?

It sounds like a good movie to me. My husband brought this up to me the other night. I believed he read that they will train these candidates for 7 years. Looks like the date will be 2023. http://mars-one.com/en/mission/summary-of-the-plan
Good luck to them. I don't know what the point is.... Something to do, be the first to do it.

Thanks, Sam.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care about MANNED-space flight any more? I can see advantages to the international space station, but our robots and censors are so good, we're getting info from probes all over the solar system and at least one probe is still transmitting data from well beyond Pluto.

Sending humans makes any space project vastly more difficult and what is the point?

I know some people I would gladly send :)

Thanks, Sam.

Point is...this planet can't support life forever. In order for the human species to continue to survive.. Gotta find another home eventually and a way to get there. Your descendants are depending on us:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know several 8 year olds who are currently saving their pennies after hearing this story...

I know some people I would gladly send :)

At this point, I could fill the entire spaceship full of folks. Starting with my husband...What do I need to pack for him? LOL

Point is...this planet can't support life forever. In order for the human species to continue to survive.. Gotta find another home eventually and a way to get there. Your descendants are depending on us:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's quite a difference between "eventually" and several billion years.

Even the next civilization-shattering asteroid strike may be thousands of years away. Do we really need an exit door right now?

Or maybe the question should be asked this way: given the manner in which we treat our own planet, should we wait awhile until we land human beings on another one?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back