GUILTY TX - Three Page kids, ages 2-6, home alone, die in fire, Houston, 14 March 2005

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
The parents of three small children who died in a fire at the northwest Harris County apartment where they were left alone Monday night have been charged with endangering their children.

A candle left burning in the apartment -- where the electricity had been cut off -- is believed to have caused the fire that killed Ashlyn Page, 2, Alliaha Page, 4, and Alexis Page, 6, investigators said this morning. Their parents, Kelvin Rucker, 30, and Royshunda Love, 24, left the children sleeping in upstairs rooms of the apartment to visit a nearby Wal-Mart, said Harris County Sheriff's Department investigators.

The bodies of the children were found upstairs by firefighters after the fire was extinguished. "This is the worst one I've seen in 25 years," said Champions Volunteer Fire Chief Hilland Hardy.

Rucker and Love, who arrived at the apartment while the fire was being fought, were questioned overnight by investigators, and have been charged with three counts each of endangering a child.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3085774

They couldn't afford electricity for their kids, but they could afford to go to wal-mart?!! Why do parents do things like that? If they had been home, those babies would probably be alive now. I hope they get jail time.

These stories always make me so sad,then I start to wonder what we can do to prevent this kind of thing.

These people, who would leave 3 children that small alone at night, with a candle burning in the house shouldn't be parents..period.
The thing that frustrates me most is there isn't a clear way to keep it from happening over and over again.
How do you prevent people who clearly are not able to parent from having children? Who decides? It's frustrating.:banghead:

:innocent: :innocent: :innocent: 3 more innocent angels...

I have a problem with the wording of this charge . . . "endangering"????? I think when they first walked out the door and left three children home alone, THAT was endangering. When they died because of it, it became manslaughter.

Jeana (DP) said:
I have a problem with the wording of this charge . . . "endangering"????? I think when they first walked out the door and left three children home alone, THAT was endangering. When they died because of it, it became manslaughter.
AMEN! This ticks me off! I won't even leave my home ALONE with a candle burning and I would NEVER leave my child alone! NO EXCEPTIONS!

Jeana (DP) said:
Jeana you have that special knack for hitting the nail right on the head... once again, Well Said!!!!:clap:

This story is sickeningly sad...absolutely senseless.
Those poor babies.:(

Dh told me that when he was an MP down in Louisiana
he was the first respondent to an 'apartment' (military housing
style;) ) which was filled with smoke...inside he found a
baby asleep in the crib...Thank God the door was shut to
her room...a pair of melting, stinking,smoking tennies in the
OVEN --no on else there(in the home not the oven.ugh!). The parents had run down
town 'really quick' to get something---they didn't want
to wake the baby, because they weren't going ot be
gone long...and apparently had long since forgotten about the
tennies drying inthe oven.:banghead: criminal
stupid. imo. :doh:

Jeana (DP) said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jeana (DP) said:

I agree.

To think that the mother was found sitting on another apartment step "talking to a friend" while the firefighters were finishing up--she had to know there was something going on at her own apartment--What the hell is wrong with these people?

What were they shopping for- MORE candles? I am just sick.

You need a license to fish but any fertile idiot can have a child.

Something about that picture is just sad.

From June 2007:

http://lists.washlaw.edu/pipermail/deathpenalty/2007-June/006513.html

Rucker pleaded guilty and cooperated with prosecutors without a promise of leniency. He was sentenced to 10 years' deferred adjudication and ordered to spend 6 months in jail.

Page took her case to a jury and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Records show Rucker's deferred adjudication was later revoked after he was arrested on New Year's Eve 2006 for driving while intoxicated. He was then sentenced to 6 years in prison for his murder conviction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back