IA IA - Matthew Ferris, 20, Des Moines, 7 March 1991

summer_breeze

Reaction score
http://doenetwork.org/cases/240dmia.html

The Doe Network:
Case File 240DMIA

Matthew John Ferris
Missing since March 7, 1991 from Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: November 15, 1970
Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10; 140 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Nickname: Matt
Medical Conditions: Ferris was treated for depression prior to his disappearance.
Fingerprints: Available
Dentals: Available
Circumstances of Disappearance
Ferris first disappeared from his hometown of Des Moines, Iowa on July 25, 1990. He told his family he needed the day off of work to help a friend move; his father later discovered a note from Ferris at the family's home, in which his son apologized for any pain his disappearance may cause his loved ones.

Ferris returned to Iowa one week later, apparently frightened.
Ferris underwent psychiatric treatment for the next six months. He also enrolled at Iowa State University.

Ferris was last seen by his family in February of 1991. He was behaving abnormally; Ferris' father stated that he seemed to be exhibiting manic behavior and was happy, which was unlike Ferris' character at the time. After telling his family he was going to the movies, Ferris disappeared. He apparently headed to Custer State Park in South Dakota. His family believes that Ferris elected to travel to that destination because he enjoyed Native American folklore.

Ferris has never been heard from again. He was reported missing on March 7, 1991.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Ferris' whereabouts, please contact:
Des Moines Police Department
515-283-4800

All information may submitted anonymously.

NCIC Number: M-478282492
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information: Iowa Missing Persons' Clearinghouse

MJFerris.jpg

I'm always wondering when there's only one photo of the missing person on the various MP websites. After more than 20 years he'd look a lot different now of course, but still...Maybe his family has given up hope he'll ever be found. A lot of things point to Matthew having harmed himself and his body being out there somewhere though.

http://iowacoldcases.org/case-summaries/matthew-ferris/

24 years...wow...

Why isn't there even DNA entered, I don't get it...Where are his parents, any siblings etc.?

This Doe reminds me of Matthew..

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ruck-by-Train-Jul-95&highlight=boca+authentic

http://doenetwork.org/cases/720umsk.html
" The victim was discovered on July 28, 1995 in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Estimated Date of Death: July 28, 1995
Cause of Death: Suicide

Estimated age: 20-30 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'9"; 140-160 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Clean-shaven, with short, medium-brown hair; blue eyes. The deceased had no tattoos, surgical scars or unusual characteristics that might have helped to identify him."

Thinking of this young man. Still no DNA, fingerprints or dental information entered into NamUs, how could he ever be identified...? Makes me so sad. Where's his family?

According to NamUs: Dental information / charting is available and will be entered later, fingerprint information is available elsewhere

Matthew has been missing for 27 years.

Details of Disappearance
Ferris initially left his family's residence in Des Moines, Iowa on July 25, 1990. He told his relatives that he was taking the day off from work to assist a friend moving into a new home. His family discovered a note from Ferris at their house later in the day, in which he offered a written apology for any pain caused by his disappearance.

Ferris returned to his residence one week later and was apparently frightened. He underwent psychiatric treatment for the next six months and enrolled at Iowa State University.

Ferris's father told authorities that his son had been displaying manic tendencies before he vanished in February 1991. He also said that Ferris's cheerful demeanor was uncharacteristic of his son's usual mood at the time.

Ferris departed from his family's home sometime during February 1991, driving a silver 1982 Pontiac, and apparently traveled to Custer State Park in South Dakota. His loved ones believe he visited the park due to his interest in Native American folklore.

Ferris's whereabouts since that time are unknown; it's possible he headed to the West Coast. His family reported him as a missing person to authorities on March 7, 1991. He has never been heard from again. When his grandmother died in 1995, he was listed in her obituary as having survived her. His case remains unsolved.

Matthew John Ferris – The Charley Project

I kind of always assumed they had found Matthew's car at Custer State Park. Now that I'm reading the information again, he apparently traveled there.

So they never located the silver 1982 Pontiac he was driving?

Tried to find other pictures....searching in yearbooks...but it's a needle in a hay stack...not knowing which high school he went to. Tried to find him in the 1990 yearbook Iowa State University where he enrolled in, I think fall, 1990...but no luck...Also a lot of hick-ups with accessing pages. Maybe somebody else has more luck.

Does anyone else notice a similarity between Matthew and this Doe?

Here is the Namus file. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) I think there is a problem with the age. Namus say the John Doe is between 11- 14 years, where Matthew was 20 when he went missing. The Doe Network mentions this "A Forensic Anthropologist examined the body, and his age was determined from teeth and from the fact that certain of his bone shafts had not yet fused, which happens at about age 20". I think this John Doe is most likely not Matthew.

I looked for some John Doe's that could fit Matthew's decription.

UP7385 (WS thread here) was already suggested by Carl, but I don't know if he was ever submitted. If anyone could post rule outs, it would be nice. Description of the hair stands out.

UP8361 skeletal remains missing the head found in Colorado. Age range 18-25, height estimated around 5'8" and hair was noted as brown.

UP7106 might be a strech, his estimated age is 20-45 and he was found way over in California.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back