Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
SBertolas2.jpg

Sandra Bertolas

Endangered Missing

Missing From: West Allas, Wisconsin

Missing Since: April 24, 1988

Age: 20 -- Height: 5'6" -- Weight: 150-160 lbs -- Hair Color: Brown -- Eye Color: Blue

Sandra, a student and part-time hairdresser, disappeared from Wisconsin in 1988. The night of her disappearance, she was last seen about 8:00 pm by her parents as she left home to meet her boyfriend in a bowling alley. She was going to confront him after learning he had given her a false last name and address and had another steady girlfriend.

Sandra's car was found on April 27, 1988 in the parking lot of the Red Carpet Lanes in West Allis, Wisconsin, but a search of it produced no hard evidence. Investigators believe she was murdered and that her killer is still on the loose. More than 20 sites, including parks, cemeteries and the suspect's family's vacation home, have been searched by bloodhounds, no trace has been found of Bertolas.

Doe Network

Charley Project

Details of Disappearance

Bertolas was last seen sometime in 1988 at the Red Carpet Lanes bowling alley in the 10900 block of west Lapham Street in West Allis, Wisconsin. She was planning to confront her boyfriend; as she found out he had been seeing someone else and also that he had given her a false last name and home address. Bertolas has never been seen again. Her vehicle, which was her prized possession, was found abandoned in the parking lot of the Red Carpet Lanes on April 27. No evidence as to her fate was located inside the car.

Police believe foul play was involved in Bertolas's case, possibly at the hands of her boyfriend, who now works as a firefighter. Prosecutors conducted a 21-month John Doe probe into the case in 2002 and over fifty witnesses testified, but the probe concluded without any charges being filed, due to insufficient evidence.

Bertolas, the youngest of eight children, resided with her parents in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin at the time of her disappearance. She was a student at Waukesha County Technical College and workedpart time as a beautician at a Cost Cutters hair salon in 1988. Her father died in 2010, but the rest of her family is still alive and hope she'll be found. Her loved ones believe she's deceased and have purchased a cemetery plot for her next to her father's grave.

Probably the best summary of this case is here;

http://projectjason.org/forums/topic/1471-missing-woman-sandra-bertolas-wi-04241988/

The comments are very informative. The strangest thing about this case is the total anonymity of the boyfriend, despite all the focus on him. I am usually pretty good at searches to identify people but the only information I have found is that his surname is Smith (and I assume that is his real rather than assumed name). I am not sure if there are any legal constraints on identifying him which may be the reason for the blackout. It is quite obvious that the name must be well known in the area, which makes it even more surprising it has not leaked. Given that publicity is often a source of new information it seems unhelpful to conceal the only suspects identity. Having said that I have rarely seen a family or LE do more to try to solve a case.

Probably the best summary of this case is here;

http://projectjason.org/forums/topic/1471-missing-woman-sandra-bertolas-wi-04241988/

The comments are very informative. The strangest thing about this case is the total anonymity of the boyfriend, despite all the focus on him. I am usually pretty good at searches to identify people but the only information I have found is that his surname is Smith (and I assume that is his real rather than assumed name). I am not sure if there are any legal constraints on identifying him which may be the reason for the blackout. It is quite obvious that the name must be well known in the area, which makes it even more surprising it has not leaked. Given that publicity is often a source of new information it seems unhelpful to conceal the only suspects identity. Having said that I have rarely seen a family or LE do more to try to solve a case.

I didn't see any comments. Where did you find out the surname is Smith? I agree. His name should be out there.

I didn't see any comments. Where did you find out the surname is Smith? I agree. His name should be out there.

If you go to this link http://mediamilwaukee.com/features/sandra-bertolas-gone-but-not-forgotten you will see a video at the top of the article. The still at the start of the video is from a newspaper article from some time after the disappearance (it says that the PI had been investigating for some years) and names the boyfriend as Smith. You can read a bit more by running the video. The boyfriend was represented (at the time of the Jane Doe hearing) by a lawyer called Patrick Knight.

The family said three decades ago, on a Sunday evening, Sandra Bertolas left the family's Menomonee Falls home to meet her boyfriend. Her sister said he had been lying to her about their relationship, "She went to confront him with that information and no one has heard from her since."

Days after her disappearance Sandra's car was found in West Allis, but no sign of her. Sandra's family does not believe she is still alive. They have searched for years for her remains, hoping for something to bury in a plot that is waiting for her.

This year Sandra would have been 50. When she disappeared she was working as a beautician a trying to get a business degree.

The family imagines she would have kids of her own now.

The family is hoping is someone knows something they will contact the Menomonee Falls Police Department at 262-532-8700.

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-new...ill-looking-for-daughter-missing-for-30-years

menomonee%20falls%20missing_1524622839708.jpg_84835832_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

If you go to this link Sandra Bertolas: Gone but not Forgotten - Media Milwaukee you will see a video at the top of the article. The still at the start of the video is from a newspaper article from some time after the disappearance (it says that the PI had been investigating for some years) and names the boyfriend as Smith. You can read a bit more by running the video. The boyfriend was represented (at the time of the Jane Doe hearing) by a lawyer called Patrick Knight.
Do you know his first name?

The Doe Network: Case File 1005DFWI doe page is back up. Here's some very weird twists. The Racine Journal Times reported on June 10, 1988, that the police disinterred a grave that was open on the day of her disappearance. I won't bother with more details on that, since it wasn't her. But it's interesting they say they got a tip on a hotline that her body was hidden at the Mt Olivet cemetery in Milwaukee.

The Chippewa Herald on March 8, 2001, reported something totally bizarre I've never seen before. Sandra Bertolas - Newspapers.com Apparently, a judge ordered a secret investigation into the disappearance. I've only ever seen such secret things for governmental secrets, which I cannot even imagine how this came about. I wonder if we could get a FOIA. A later article in the Milwaukee Sentinel said the family believed it was the boyfriend at the time who killed her, who is now a firefighter in Milwaukee.

They also searched a park after a psychic indicated she might be buried there.

I don't think the boyfriend's name actually was smith. They were doing a doe investigation, it's probable that was a pseudonym used.

Okay, and Milwaukee journal sentinel just added this info, and maybe you all can get past the brick wall I've hit.
Boyfriend was an ambulance driver prior to applying to be a firefighter "some years" before 2002. He also used to work at Mount Olivet, Milwaukee cemetery, where his father was the caretaker. That should be enough to get me through the brick wall but I'm stuck. Can anyone get more based on this?

John Doe hearings are a specific form of investigation under Wisconsin state law (I am not sure whether other states have similar). They are similar to Grand Jury hearings but without the jury (the judge presides and questions witnesses). They carry a similar function to Grand Jury hearings, to determine if sufficient evidence exists to bring charges. This implies that this hearing was to decide if the boyfriend should be charged and, since he was not charged it must have found the evidence to be unable to back up the case at that time.

John Doe hearings are a specific form of investigation under Wisconsin state law (I am not sure whether other states have similar). They are similar to Grand Jury hearings but without the jury (the judge presides and questions witnesses). They carry a similar function to Grand Jury hearings, to determine if sufficient evidence exists to bring charges. This implies that this hearing was to decide if the boyfriend should be charged and, since he was not charged it must have found the evidence to be unable to back up the case at that time.
thank you. I had never heard of one before.

Sandra B. Bertolas​

Updated: Jan 11, 2022

3704de_08f39e65030a4f0dab19efba983e78bc~mv2.jpg

Sandra Bertolas, who also went by the nick name 'Sandy', was only 20 years old when she went missing on April 24th, 1988. She left her home in Menomonee Falls, WI to go to the Red Carpet Lanes bowling alley in West Allis, WI to confront her boyfriend after finding out he was also dating another woman and he had given her a false name and address for that woman. It was was reported that Sandra had told people that he had "begged" her to see him that night and that he even offered to pay for her gas.

Sandra was pregnant at the time of her disappearance. The boyfriend denies knowing that, although, friends and family state he was made aware of this.

Sandra has not been seen or heard from since April 24th. Her family says that it is out of character for Sandra no to call and check in with her parents. Her white car was found abandoned in the Red Carpet parking lot on April 27th. There was no evidence found in the car.

Sandra's boyfriend was an ambulance driver and was preparing to become a Milwaukee County firefighter. It has been reported that the boyfriend was scheduled for work on April 24th from 4pm to 12am but he called in sick.

When police interviewed the boyfriend, he denied seeing her that night, and provided an alibi of being at his girlfriend's house, which would be the other woman that Sandra found out about, and that he had been there in Milwaukee all night. The girlfriend confirmed that he was with her all night. He also denied giving any false name to Sandy. He admitted to authorities that he did call her at least twice that day.

Weeks later, the boyfriend asked Menomonee Falls Police for a second interview as he wanted to change his statement and remembered new details of the night Sandra went missing. The police scheduled an interview and a polygraph test but the boyfriends lawyer called the department saying that he would not be speaking to police any longer.
3704de_6332b55b593f4f748b1c035d0c9a1159~mv2.jpg

Sandra was the youngest of 8 children and she was living at home with her parents in Menomonee Falls, WI. She was employed part time as a hair dresser.

An anonymous tip in June of 1988, lead investigators to Mount Olivet Cemetery on Morgan Avenue in Milwaukee. They brought in trained cadaver dogs to search the cemetery, and they focused in on a 12 foot square area where there had been an open grave at the time that Sandra had gone missing. Law Enforcement did some additional searching but did not find anything. They later found out that the cemetery's caretaker was the boyfriend's father and that the boyfriend had also worked at the cemetery previously.

One of Sandra's sisters said that she had found a napkin with an address written on it in Sandra's bedroom. The address turned out to be the address of the cemetery.

A John Doe Investigation was opened in March of 2001, lasting 21 months, and ended with a lack of probable cause, leaving the family and investigators with no additional answers. There is no physical evidence in this case, which leaves law enforcement just as frustrated as the family. Law Enforcement believes that Sandra is the victim of foul play and continues to investigate this case as a Missing Persons case, which is now labeled a 'cold case'.

Sandra's family believes her life was taken on the night that she disappeared. They are hoping to find her remains so that they can place her in a cemetery plot which is next to their father's grave in the St. Anthony cemetery. St. Anthony is the patron saint of all things lost and stolen.

Sandra is described as a white Caucasian female, 5’6” tall, and between 150 and 160 pounds. She has dark brown, shoulder length hair and blue eyes. She was last seen wearing a blue tweed jacket and black pants, and was carrying a white purse.

25 years after Sandra's disappearance, Sandra's sister, Paula was quoted in an interview with the Journal Sentinel, saying, "Right now, we're asking the one responsible for this if they could please have a heart and let us know where her remains are. Lift your conscience, end this not knowing, even if it's anonymous."

Sandra's family continues searching for answers on what happened to her that night and they are still offering a $5,000 reward for information that leads to the location of Sandy.
3704de_f13eb7a714ec4b7fbcdcf196772ed868~mv2.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back