Explore Walking possibilities that Dylan or MR could take from the MR home

Status
Not open for further replies.

raine1212

Former Member
Reaction score
This thread is for exploring all walking possibilities from the home of MR, that Dylan or Mark, could have taken.

You may post maps of trails, dirt roads, waterways, highways or anything that pertains to walking out of, or around the area from, the home. Timing calculations for approximate distances are also appropriate.

Please focus the discussion on walking distances, possible locations, and timing to and from the MR home.

The intent of the thread is to research areas that were accessible by foot travel, either by Dylan or MR.

FYI, I still have not gotten a good hand on these maps. I have tired to copy over with no luck. Anyone feel free to copy over... TIA

MR's address for maps

2343 County Road 500, Bayfield, Colorado 81122, United States

To the end of Mushroom Lane, at the north end of the lake, following roads is 3.3 miles. That gets Dylan to the lake, much faster than if he went to the south end/dam area or to the east side campgrounds. Possibly an 1 - 1.25 hour walk for a boy his age (best guess).

A more direct route might be to walk along the river. IMO the river would have been low so the banks might have been walkable. I had to eyeball that but it looks like 2.5 miles from MR's house to the cul-de-sac at the south end of Mushroom Lane walking along the river bank.

I'm completely clueless how to use the map maker thing and I am multi-tasking on a work project tonight. Maybe someone else could try to create this map?

To the end of Mushroom Lane, at the north end of the lake, following roads is 3.3 miles. That gets Dylan to the lake, much faster than if he went to the south end/dam area or to the east side campgrounds. Possibly an 1 - 1.25 hour walk for a boy his age (best guess).

A more direct route might be to walk along the river. IMO the river would have been low so the banks might have been walkable. I had to eyeball that but it looks like 2.5 miles from MR's house to the cul-de-sac at the south end of Mushroom Lane walking along the river bank.

I'm completely clueless how to use the map maker thing and I am multi-tasking on a work project tonight. Maybe someone else could try to create this map?

I don't know how to use the map maker either. Here is the one google makes.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=mush...w=800&bih=459&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

The place that has bothered me is the Blue Spruce RV Park & Cabins. There is a RSO living there and it's only a 10 minute walk from MR's house according to Google. It wouldn't explain why DR didn't contact anyone, but if he did decide to walk almost anywhere, he would have passed this place. Even if the known RSO from there was checked out, that doesn't mean there aren't other SOs there who aren't registered or that he didn't have someone else at his place at the time of DR's disappearance. MOO

Snipped some of your post ColdHands to add to the map for you

3rd map.png

I need to try to tomorrow to map out trails. If anyone can beat me to go ahead..lol

Doing some rough calculations in my head. LE reported the last text from Dylan was at 9:37ish p.m. MR was apparently seen at his place of employment sometime in the morning on Monday. So... just roughly estimating, I'll call that 8:00 a.m. That is roughly 11 hours, or approximately 5.5 hours one way. How far could he get? How long does it take the average person to walk a mile?

Then if we look at Dylan, doing a little speculation, if Dylan was mad at MR for some reason, say. And he was awake when MR says he left the house (7:30 a.m. right?) and Dylan got up as soon as MR left and headed out, and then MR said he returned at 11:30 a.m., that is 4 hours. How far could Dylan get in 4 hours?

Dylan would not be making a round trip and because he wanted to see his friends, he may have taken the shortest route, to the busiest road to get to Bayfield. IMO, Dylan would have headed for Bayfield, if he headed out on foot at all.

Would MR have intercepted Dylan on his way back from Durango?

Aye! So many questions.

Salem

Driving directions to Vallecito Dam
marker_greenA.png
2343 County Road 500
Bayfield, CO 81122

transparent.png

1. Head south on Co Rd 500 toward N Bridge Rd
transparent.png

0.4 mi

2. Take the 1st right to stay on Co Rd 500
transparent.png

1.9 mi

3. Turn left onto Co Rd 501
transparent.png

3.1 mi

4. Slight right to stay on Co Rd 501
transparent.png

0.3 mi

5. Continue onto Co Rd 501ADestination will be on the left
transparent.png

4.3 mi

marker_greenB.png
Vallecito Dam

map4.png

Doing some rough calculations in my head. LE reported the last text from Dylan was at 9:37ish p.m. MR was apparently seen at his place of employment sometime in the morning on Monday. So... just roughly estimating, I'll call that 8:00 a.m. That is roughly 11 hours, or approximately 5.5 hours one way. How far could he get? How long does it take the average person to walk a mile?

Then if we look at Dylan, doing a little speculation, if Dylan was mad at MR for some reason, say. And he was awake when MR says he left the house (7:30 a.m. right?) and Dylan got up as soon as MR left and headed out, and then MR said he returned at 11:30 a.m., that is 4 hours. How far could Dylan get in 4 hours?

Dylan would not be making a round trip and because he wanted to see his friends, he may have taken the shortest route, to the busiest road to get to Bayfield. IMO, Dylan would have headed for Bayfield, if he headed out on foot at all.

Would MR have intercepted Dylan on his way back from Durango?

Aye! So many questions.

Salem

I admit that I walked faster than the average person back when I could breathe. When I was his age, I walked about 3.5 miles from home to the lake on a fairly regular basis. If I was alone, it usually took me 40-45 minutes; if someone else was with me, it was usually closer to an hour (mainly because we goofed around a lot then). My best friend lived just over 9 miles from me, and it never took me longer than 2 hours to walk there. I'm not sure how helpful that is, but Dylan sounds like a fairly active kid, so he's probably in good shape for walking (because of his sports), so I'd say in 4 hours of constant walking, he could probably go 12-15 miles. If he walked that far, I would think MR would have passed him along the way. MOO

map5.jpg

This creek area was it ever searched or is it a creek

Forgive my freehand is not that good.

Re: MR seeing DR on the road.

Depending on how safe DR felt on the road and how trafficky said road is- he might have hopped off the road and hid behind tree or bush if he heard a car coming.
I do that all the time if I am walking out in a desolate area.

map6.png

I have added a few maps.. Please mark search areas and any trail that you may know of. Lets find Dylan

IF Dylan walked anywhere he didn't get far IMO
Maybe walked for 10 mins tops then along comes dad.

All JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member