HI - Abandoned baby girl found near midnight on Sandy Beach, on Oahu

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Abandoned baby found at Sandy Beach (staradvertiser.com)
---
The state Department of Human Services described the baby as a newborn girl. DHS reported that the baby, who weighs eight pounds, is doing well at Queen’s Medical Center and drinking formula.

The baby was found after a 21-year-old woman heard several people screaming at the beach between 11:30 p.m. and midnight. The woman, who was in a parked car at the beach, then heard a baby crying and saw it in the sand. She took the child to Queen’s Medical Center.

She appears to have been abandoned and found within 24 hours, DHS said.
---
a bit more at the link above

So did they like get in a fight and forget the baby?? Or were the screaming people unrelated to the baby?

So did they like get in a fight and forget the baby?? Or were the screaming people unrelated to the baby?

The article is a bit incomplete to say the least! What were the people screaming about? How far was the baby from these screaming people? Did the woman who took the baby to the hospotal ask any of the screaming people if they knew whose baby this was? Or, did she just think this was no place for a baby and rush the baby to safety? Is/ or are any of the screaming people now frantically searching for their baby? Enquiring minds want to know!

She saw the baby, but not the people screaming?

I'm glad the baby is ok, but I have to say, a little part of me wonders if the woman who found her gave birth to her. I mean, what are the odds someone is going to be sitting in a parked car at the beach late at night and then suddenly find an abandoned baby on the sand?

I'm not judging. I hope Hawaii has safe haven laws..... and, well, we'll just see what additional news comes out.

A newborn baby girl was found abandoned on a beach in Hawaii, according to reports.

The 8-pound child was “abandoned immediately after birth,” state Department of Human Services Director Patricia McManaman said, according to the Star Advertiser newspaper.
---
Both reports said the child was found on Sandy Beach by a 21-year-old woman, who took her to a local medical center. The woman is not a suspect, according to police
---
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...aby-girl-found-abandoned-on-hawaii-beach?lite

http://www.khon2.com/2013/04/29/newborn-baby-abandoned-at-oahus-sandy-beach/

The sound of screams cut through the night air Sunday at Sandy Beach and startle Vincent Vanaski.

“Sounded like someone was in distress and it sounded like a female,” Vanaski said.

He was parked in his van at the beach and grabbed his flash light to go check it out.

“Saw a young female sitting at the water’s edge. I asked if the screams were coming from her and she said, ‘Yes.’ And I said, ‘Are you alright? Do you need help?’ and she said, ‘No, I cut my foot,’” Vanaski said.

Vanaski went back to his van, but another woman also heard the screams. Honolulu police say 15 minutes later she heard a baby crying.

I think there was only one person screaming...the woman giving birth. Hawaii does have Save Haven laws.

So that guy can testify that the woman who took her to the hospital wasn't the one screaming.

I'm pretty sure a sandy beach is not a safe haven...
However, she could have thrown her in the water right there and didn't.
So, I guess she gets credit for that.

HONOLULU — A day after a woman reported finding an abandoned newborn crying in the sand on a Hawaii beach, police arrested her and revealed she’s the baby’s mother.

Keala Simeona, 21, of Honolulu, was arrested Tuesday for filing a false police report. Police don’t expect to pursue additional offenses. She posted $250 bail and was released.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...9a898a-b1ff-11e2-9fb1-62de9581c946_story.html

I knew it. I'm glad police are not going to pursue additional offenses. She could have tossed that baby right into the ocean if she wanted to and did not.
I imagine it would be very hard to say this is my baby when using safe haven laws. She did report to the police immediately. Just didn't fully get the no questions asked part about the safe haven law.

Praying for both of them.

HONOLULU — A day after a woman reported finding an abandoned newborn crying in the sand on a Hawaii beach, police arrested her and revealed she’s the baby’s mother.

Keala Simeona, 21, of Honolulu, was arrested Tuesday for filing a false police report. Police don’t expect to pursue additional offenses. She posted $250 bail and was released.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...9a898a-b1ff-11e2-9fb1-62de9581c946_story.html

I knew it. I'm glad police are not going to pursue additional offenses. She could have tossed that baby right into the ocean if she wanted to and did not.
I imagine it would be very hard to say this is my baby when using safe haven laws. She did report to the police immediately. Just didn't fully get the no questions asked part about the safe haven law.

Praying for both of them.

Was she unaware of the Safe Haven Law? I'm happy she had the baby's best interest at heart but wonder what the point in concocting such a story was.

My guess is the story was because she didn't have the courage to say the baby was hers, but wanted to turn it over to police.

It would be nice to know if she was aware of the Safe Haven law.

So that guy can testify that the woman who took her to the hospital wasn't the one screaming.

I'm pretty sure a sandy beach is not a safe haven...
However, she could have thrown her in the water right there and didn't.
So, I guess she gets credit for that.

If she threw baby in the water she could be facing life sentence for murder.

I suppose if I were a cynic, I would think that she knew there was a witness to all of this and that gave her incentive to concoct her story instead of hurting her little one.

I am hoping there will be a wonderful outcome for mother and child, so I am grateful she developed this strange solution to her problem.

This sickens me, how could a person do that to a beautiful baby

Do what? The baby was really never abandoned - the birth mother took the child to police immediately after birth.

Although filing a false police report is wrong, she didn't harm her child. For that, I am so grateful. I'm also very interested in knowing whether she knew about safe haven laws or not. Even though she lied to police, she was trying to do the right thing, so to speak.

I think I've only seen one case ever where Safe Haven laws were used to shield a mother. It seems no matter how hard the mother tries, they are never able to actually fulfill ALL the tenets required to use that protection.

I wish her well. She did the best she could, in my opinion. My guess is if she tried to actually use the safe haven, they'd get her on some technicality or other.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back