GUILTY UT - Ricardo Portillo, 46, soccer ref, punched by player, dies, 27 April 2013

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/0...ed-by-player-dies-police-say/?intcmp=trending

MURRAY, Utah – A 46-year-old soccer referee who was punched by a teenage player during a game and later slipped into a coma has died, police said.

Ricardo Portillo of Salt Lake City passed away at the hospital, where he was being treated following the assault last weekend, Unified police spokesman Justin Hoyal said Saturday night.

Police have accused a 17-year-old player in a recreational soccer league of punching Portillo after the man called a foul on him and issued him a yellow card.

"The suspect was close to Portillo and punched him once in the face as a result of the call," Hoyal said in a press release.

The teen, whose name hasn't been released because of his age, has been booked into juvenile detention on suspicion of aggravated assault.

Hoyal said authorities will consider additional charges since Portillo has died.

He said an autopsy is planned. No cause of death was released............

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/0...ies-police-say/?intcmp=trending#ixzz2SPd3aUcf

This is atrocious. We have two kids who play soccer and my husband is a coach. It's vital to teach these kids at a young age not to argue with the ref - and it starts with modeling by the parents and coaches.

I'm waiting for murder charges...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57582927/utah-soccer-referee-punched-by-teen-dies-police-say/
utah_AP760370476025_900x675.jpg

I heard on the news last night that a juvenile of 17 years is automatically shifted from the juvenile to the adult division in Utah.

This case is well publicized. The teen needs to be tried for 2nd degree murder. I'll be following this case. Hope he gets a long sentence.

They are considering additional charges? What is there to consider? And at 17, there should be no problems with charging him as an adult.

i saw this on news yesterday as well. i doubt it will be a murder charge. most likely manslaughter.

the talking heads compared it to another case where a coach was beat to death by a father but the father attacked and didn't stop. i believe he was charged with murder. this kid looks like he sucker punched this ref (not condoning) but i don't see the intent to murder.

very sad for the coach and his family.

Teen charged in ref death case

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/teen-charged-in-ref-death-case-29252594.html

A Utah teenager accused of punching a football referee who later died has been charged with homicide by assault, a count issued when an attack unintentionally causes death.

Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill announced the charges, saying he will seek to try the teenager as an adult.

A homicide by assault charge is less serious than manslaughter. It carries up to five years in prison for adults, but penalties can be less for juveniles.

More at link.....

I saw an interview with family of the referee and they say he'd been attacked before, and it sounded like by other players at different times.

Up to five years? That is ridiculous. Barely a deterrent.

Ya - I just don't get it....the family apologizes but he pleads not guilty....

"The family of a Utah teenager charged in the death of a soccer referee apologized Friday to the man's family for the first time, saying it cannot imagine how much they miss their father."

"The 17-year-old's sister read the apology shortly after a hearing in which her brother pleaded not guilty to the charge of homicide by assault. At the hearing, a juvenile court judge denied a request by the teenager's attorney to let him out of detention while the case plays out in court."

His lawyer is going for a plea bargain or lesser sentencel. They need a mostly male jury who can understand that one punch is in no way an evil or bad kid most of the time. It is tragic it ended in death but this kid didn't even mean to seriously hurt him let alone kill him. I don't really think he makes a great deterrent case

I don't know how it can get any "lesser" than it already is.
He is only facing up to five years.
As for not meaning to hurt the guy-seriously? What do you expect if you punch someone in the head?

I don't know how it can get any "lesser" than it already is.
He is only facing up to five years.
As for not meaning to hurt the guy-seriously? What do you expect if you punch someone in the head?

a bruise, just like the millions of punches thrown every week by testosterone fueled boys and men. It was totally wrong of him, but imo his harshest punishment is that he knows he killed a man, he has to live with that for the rest of his life. Some things are just tragic, not intentional malice..if he hadn't died the kid likely wouldn't even have been arrested just given a red card and benched for a few games. Fact is the outcome was accidental, not the behavior, he knew he was throwing a punch but i would bet my life he had no idea he was doing something life threatening.

a bruise, just like the millions of punches thrown every week by testosterone fueled boys and men. It was totally wrong of him, but imo his harshest punishment is that he knows he killed a man, he has to live with that for the rest of his life. Some things are just tragic, not intentional malice..if he hadn't died the kid likely wouldn't even have been arrested just given a red card and benched for a few games. Fact is the outcome was accidental, not the behavior, he knew he was throwing a punch but i would bet my life he had no idea he was doing something life threatening.

Too bad, so sad. There are people spending decades in prison for "accidental" deaths.

Time to grow up. It won't be pleasant.

I can't imagine the grief the ref's family is going through. I am having a hard time feeling any sympathy for this young man. Any 17 year old that has no problem punching a ref has serious issues. He didn't intend to kill him but the fact that he hit him at all disgusts me.

I think there's a huge issue in that league or organization if he's been attacked before and by different players, as txsvicki posted

when I was in sports, I had a lot of words at times for refs/umps - it's adrenaline-fueled competition and I happen to think it's natural to have an outburst or two (& I'm female so I can only imagine how much a teenage male's testosterone would escalate that aggressive energy)

I agree with silkysifaka that this is a horrible tragedy with no intent to kill but if that league has been tolerating this, then they obviously need to adopt a no-tolerance policy

I can't imagine the grief the ref's family is going through. I am having a hard time feeling any sympathy for this young man. Any 17 year old that has no problem punching a ref has serious issues. He didn't intend to kill him but the fact that he hit him at all disgusts me.

Don't get me wrong, it disgusts me as well. I just don't think it was something that was intended in any manner, and was pure bad luck in terms of outcome. Yes he needs to be held accountable for a man losing his life, but that doesn't mean he should be sent to prison for decades

I think there's a huge issue in that league or organization if he's been attacked before and by different players, as txsvicki posted

when I was in sports, I had a lot of words at times for refs/umps - it's adrenaline-fueled competition and I happen to think it's natural to have an outburst or two (& I'm female so I can only imagine how much a teenage male's testosterone would escalate that aggressive energy)

I agree with silkysifaka that this is a horrible tragedy with no intent to kill but if that league has been tolerating this, then they obviously need to adopt a no-tolerance policy

BBM

The kid's parents obviously never adopted a zero-tolerance policy. One can be sure this is not the first time the perp punched someone. When does personal responsibilty and accountabilty begin? Why hasn't this perp learned over his 17 years there are consequences for his behavior? Shame on him. Shame on his parents. His parents are the ones who obviously have been tolerating this.

I think it's astounding onus is being placed on the league.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back