GUILTY CA - Gloria Villalta, 58, & Jose Lara, 51, murdered, Compton, 13 Oct 2011

JoeFromLB

Reaction score
I searched for this story and did not see it posted. These two are really bad.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...urce=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=649324

A 16-year-old girl charged with murdering her mother and stepfather testified Tuesday that she and her teenage boyfriend drove to buy food and party supplies with her dead mother's body in the back of their vehicle.

Cynthia Alvarez told jurors in Compton that she and Giovanni Gallardo bought glow sticks, flashing skull lights and knee-high stockings for a costume from a Party City store in the days following the Oct. 12, 2011, killings.

The young couple also purchased soda and chips from a discount store as well as beer at another shop for a Halloween party they were planning to throw, Alvarez said in court.

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/c...mpton-teen-cynthia-alvarez-takes-stand-double

COMPTON -- A teenager facing two murder charges in the death of her mother and stepfather took the stand in her defense Monday to explain her role in the October 2011 killings.

And while she told a compelling story in the early session when questioned by her defense attorney, in the afternoon the prosecution was able to expose significant cracks in her narrative.

Cynthia Alvarez, 16, spent the day recounting how Giovanni Gallardo, her boyfriend at the time, carried out the killings of her mother, Gloria Villalta. 58, and stepfather, Jose Lara, 51,with snippets of graphic detail.

GUILTY!

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-teen-murder-20130511,0,7207743.story

After deliberating about three hours, the jurors found her guilty of first-degree murder in both killings, with some members of the panel saying outside court in Compton that they believed Alvarez plotted and actively participated in the slayings.

"I thought she was the mastermind," said one juror, a 59-year-old maintenance worker with the Air Force.

He and other jurors, who declined to give their names, mentioned notes that Alvarez wrote to her boyfriend while he was hiding inside her Compton home shortly before the killings. One of the ungrammatical notes read: "What about if she going to her bed. Can you kill her." Another said, "you do it."

Alvarez, who was 15 at the time of the killings but was tried as an adult, admitted on the stand that she had signaled to her boyfriend when her mother moved from the kitchen to the bedroom. That signal, the juror said, was clearly a cue for her boyfriend, Giovanni Gallardo, to strike.

Jurors also pointed to Alvarez's admission that she and Gallardo had driven in her mother's Jeep to buy supplies for a Halloween party with her mother's body in the back of the vehicle.

"If you're innocent, you're not going to ride around for three days with your mama in the back of the car," said another juror, a 47-year-old janitor.

I wonder when she's going to be sentenced..I looked for an update but didn't find one

Alvarez and Gallardo were sentenced last week. Cynthia Alvarez will be 68 when she is eligible for parole. Gallardo got life without parole. No remorse from either of them. Alvarez blamed her murdered parents (!)

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...prison-20140124,0,1450769.story#axzz2rinQ0Xyl

Cynthia Alvarez, who was 15 years old at the time of the October 2011 killings, was tried as an adult along with her boyfriend, Giovanni Gallardo, 16 at the time. Alvarez admitted on the stand that after the slayings they drove in her mother's Jeep Cherokee -- with her mother's decomposing corpse in the back -- to buy supplies for a Halloween party.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Ricardo R. Ocampo found that the slayings were vicious and sophisticated attacks on vulnerable victims. Under his sentence, Alvarez is eligible for parole after 51 years while Gallardo is not eligible for parole because of a law mandating tougher sentences for people older than 16 committing murder. Attorneys for both defendants said they planned to appeal.

Alvarez, reading from a written statement, told the court before the sentencing that she was scared of "doing life." She said that regretted her mistakes and that prosecutors were making her look like a monster. She argued at trial that her mother and stepfather were abusive.

"I just need to remember my past is my past," Alvarez said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back