Ariel Castro pleads not guilty - 6/12/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadejazzkayla

Reaction score
http://tinyurl.com/q696fyy

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Cleveland man charged with holding three women captive in his home for a decade and raping them has another court date.

Court officials have scheduled a Wednesday arraignment for 52-year-old Ariel Castro on more than 300 charges including murder, kidnapping and rape.

Will this man be coddled by our justice system? It is situations such as this that that make me worry and wonder. I am so sick of these pedophiles and murderers having the protection they do. Who was there to protect the victims from HIM.

Will this man be coddled by our justice system? It is situations such as this that that make me worry and wonder. I am so sick of these pedophiles and murderers having the protection they do. Who was there to protect the victims from HIM.

I hope not.

The man suspected of kidnapping three women and holding them captive for years inside his west side home is due in court this morning.

Ariel Castro will go before Judge Deena Calabrese on nearly 330 charges, including murder.

Defense attorneys say Castro will plead not guilty. His lawyers want to see what evidence investigators have for a murder charge regarding the death of an unborn child.

FBI agents returned to Castro's home on Monday. The agents led prosecutors around the inside of the home to get an up close look at what life was like for the kidnapped women.

http://www.fox19.com/story/22568102/found-alive-suspected-kidnapper-ariel-castro-due-in-court

I can't believe this guy seriously pleaded not guilty.

http://tinyurl.com/k668wvp

Ariel Castro pleads not guilty in Cleveland kidnapping case

Castro, 52, didn't speak during the arraignment, which lasted less than a minute. He stood motionless, dressed in an orange jail outfit, and looked toward the floor as the plea was entered.

The grand jury charged Castro with two counts of aggravated murder related to one act, saying he purposely caused the unlawful termination of one of the women's pregnancies. He also was indicted on 139 counts of rape, 177 counts of kidnapping, seven counts of gross sexual imposition, three counts of felonious assault and one count of possession of criminal tools.

The 142-page indictment covers only the period from August 2002, when the first victim disappeared, to February 2007. Prosecutors say the investigation will continue and they are leaving the door open to pursuing a death penalty case against Castro.

How can you plead NOT GUILTY when the entire world saw video of the victims escaping from YOUR dungeon?

How can you plead NOT GUILTY when the entire world saw video of the victims escaping from YOUR dungeon?

From the news conference:

After the hearing, attorney Craig Weintraub, who also is representing Castro, said some of the charges against Castro "cannot be disputed," but that Castro needed to plead not guilty for the process to proceed.

Weintraub said the defense team is seeking a resolution that would eliminate the need for a trial. But that would likely require prosecutors to drop the aggravated murder charges and the possibility of a death sentence.

"We are very sensitive to the emotional strain and the impact that a trial would have on the women, their families and this community," he said.

Ariel Castro pleads not guilty to charges of kidnapping, rape and murder

It seems to me that Castro has nothing to lose and everything to gain by pleading not guilty. He's not paying for his attorneys or for the court costs. Going to trial means a break from sitting in his lonely little cell day after day after day. It also delays his being transferred to the 'big house' where things might not be quite so cozy for him as they are now. We already know he's a monster, he may be excited about the idea of further tormenting the women by having them publicly relive the horrors he inflicted on them.

From the news conference:

After the hearing, attorney Craig Weintraub, who also is representing Castro, said some of the charges against Castro "cannot be disputed," but that Castro needed to plead not guilty for the process to proceed.

Weintraub said the defense team is seeking a resolution that would eliminate the need for a trial. But that would likely require prosecutors to drop the aggravated murder charges and the possibility of a death sentence.

"We are very sensitive to the emotional strain and the impact that a trial would have on the women, their families and this community," he said.

Ariel Castro pleads not guilty to charges of kidnapping, rape and murder

Blackmail.

I think it is a valid defense and a lot rides on it. Attorneys know there is a lot of evidence that will most likely convict him, so they have nothing to lose. To gain, they may get/keep the death penalty off the table.

Prosecutors have to consider the girls. If there is a trial, the girls will have to testify, will have to relive what they went through in public. Do they want to do that, are they able to do that?

Then there is the cost of a trial. A plea also cancels out any rights to appeals. So it won't be coming back up again in 5 or 10 years.

Most likely if the prosecutor makes a deal, we won't hear much more about what happened to them. And you know what, that would be ok with me. They will be free to talk or not talk about what happened at their own choosing. But they won't have to do it in a public venue, in front of their kidnapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail