Judge refuses to marry two first cousins - they promise not to have kids.

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A county judge refused to make an exception for two first cousins who want to marry, even though the couple assured the judge they don't want to have children.

Blair County Judge Jolene Kopriva on Thursday denied the marriage license application for first cousins Eleanor Amrhein, 46, and Donald W. Andrews Sr., 39, of Logan Township.

The couple say they have been together for several years, but Kopriva said state law bars first cousins from marrying because of an increased likelihood their children will have birth defects. The couple petitioned for an exception after a court clerk rejected their license application earlier in the week. The couple told Kopriva their mothers are sisters.

http://www.courttv.com/people/2005/0318/cousins_ap.html
<!--- ad --->

Casshew said:
A county judge refused to make an exception for two first cousins who want to marry, even though the couple assured the judge they don't want to have children.

Blair County Judge Jolene Kopriva on Thursday denied the marriage license application for first cousins Eleanor Amrhein, 46, and Donald W. Andrews Sr., 39, of Logan Township.

The couple say they have been together for several years, but Kopriva said state law bars first cousins from marrying because of an increased likelihood their children will have birth defects. The couple petitioned for an exception after a court clerk rejected their license application earlier in the week. The couple told Kopriva their mothers are sisters.

http://www.courttv.com/people/2005/0318/cousins_ap.html
<!--- ad --->

umm, this is kinda icky! I mean I used to think I had the cutest cousin in the world when I was young...but eeewww....He was my cousin....I merely
told my friends about him.
Well, I guess it's not exactly illegal in places, but it seems very strange to
most of us.

Love,
Ariel

Well they can come to Colorado. It's legal to marry your first cousin here. :crazy:

Ewwwwwwwww!!

I will never understand some people. :doh:

Personally, I don't think first cousin genetics are that close.

However, I DO think that marrying your own daughter, and then your own grandchild, does tend to corrupt the gene pool.

:D

I did actually know someone who was married to her first cousin. They had two children that were perfectly normal. I am not thinking that this is ok but, there are bigger issues....

Anyone who's done genealogy can tell you that it was a lot more common than people realize for first cousins to marry.

I just can't imagine going to my family reunion to meet men. :eek: Course that's just me and my opinion.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back