GUILTY NC - Melissa Huggins-Jones, 30, murdered in her Raleigh home, 14 May 2013

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
Detectives said just after 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, a 911 caller reported that an 8-year-old girl came up to construction workers to get help for her mother, who she said was hurt in a nearby apartment building.

"A little girl came out in the street, out in the parking lot here saying my mom has blood all over her, or what looked like blood, whatever and she was not responsive," said the caller.

When police and emergency workers got there, they found 30-year-old Melissa Dawn Huggins-Jones deceased.

Police said no suspects were in custody and the investigation was ongoing.

Friends told the ABC station in Chattanooga, Tenn., that Huggins-Jones had just moved to Raeligh about two weeks ago from Tennessee. They also said she had a 12-year-old son in addition to her daughter. She was divorced and sharing custody of her children.

However, the friends said her son could not transfer this far into the school year so he remained in Tennessee with his father.

While police investigate the murder, friends and co-workers back in Tennessee are overcome with emotion.

Snipped from: http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9101836

How will this young child ever get that scene our her mind....her own mother murdered?

Horrific.

Quote:
Huggins-Jones' family said Melissa had deleted her Facebook account on May 11, just four days before she was found dead. Officers plan to search the Facebook account in hopes of learning more details about the victim and to "develop a possible suspect."
http://www.wncn.com/story/22247083/d...ar-north-hills

The deletion of her FB is very interesting indeed.

I wonder if RPD will do a press release or news briefing. Wondering whether this is random has got to be terrifying for the people in the area.

(I'm kind of feeling a "déjà vu" about it, IYKWIM...)

There are no words to express my feelings about the children, especially the daughter.

"Covered in blood" makes me think it was a stabbing (they haven't released the COD yet). If that's the case, then usually it is someone she knows on a somewhat intimate level. I wonder why she chose to move to NC of all places? Was she from there? Have friends there? Job related?

Prayers for her children, I hope they both get counseling.

"Covered in blood" makes me think it was a stabbing (they haven't released the COD yet). If that's the case, then usually it is someone she knows on a somewhat intimate level. I wonder why she chose to move to NC of all places? Was she from there? Have friends there? Job related?

It's been reported that she had family nearby (I think an hour or so away?) and that she had taken a job at a local bank in the area.

OPERATOR: "Lie her flat on her back and remove any pillows.

CALLER: "I think it is too late for that."

Once the man touches her arm, he says the body felt cold.

CALLER: "She is cold. Cold as ice ma'am and I don't think there is a pulse."

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/22263203/nc-police-release-911-calls-in-cleveland-womans-death

So if she sent a text just before midnight to a friend and is cold as ice by 7.30am, I'd guess she was murdered closer to midnight. MOO

Rip Melissa.

very sad. That poor little girl. How very frightening and confusing. I wish she never had to see her mother like that. So unfair. :(

one question: was the 8 year old enrolled in school at her new city? Odd that the older brother was told too late to transfer but for the 8 year old was not an issue?

The FB deletion is a big red flag. Was she trying to rid herself of someone particular by dropping off social networks?

Her marriage had ended in divorce, but Huggins-Jones had been tapped to manage First Tennessee Bank's first out-of-state branch in Raleigh, N.C., near where her family lives.

.... Huggins-Jones had worked for First Tennessee for about 10 years and had managed the 25th Street branch -- the bank calls them financial centers -- since 2004.

"She was selected to lead that effort in a new market, which says a lot about her," Wortman said.

Mike Griffin, community president of First Tennessee, said the promotion "was a great opportunity for her."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/may/16/slain-lee-graduate-was-putting-life-back/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Trying to move on in her life, then slain in her bed as she slept? :(

Police investigating the homicide of a mother found dead in her Raleigh apartment near North Hills said Wednesday they have not yet determined whether the crime was random.

Raleigh police asked the public to stay alert and said they have increased patrols near Allister North Hills Apartments, where 30-year-old Melissa Dawn Huggins-Jones was found Tuesday covered in blood on a bed inside her apartment.

~~~

Crime scene investigators spent Wednesday collecting evidence from her apartment building. They declined to say whether anyone else lived in the apartment with Huggins-Jones and her daughter. The girl is staying with relatives, police said.

http://www.wral.com/raleigh-pd-searching-for-clues-in-allister-drive-killing/12450306/

What a sad story! A mother trying to move upward in her career for the betterment of her children, the move bringing her closer to her family, and something horrible like this happens! I just don't want to entertain the thought that an ex did this. It had to be random by her being the only one in the new apt. bldg., Beautiful, successful, professional lady, new in neighborhood with out-of=state license plates, and a jerk followed her home!! JMO

Prayers and hugs for her children, family, and friends.

That poor baby, she should have never had to see her mom like that. I hope they find whoever did this quickly.

I live in Raleigh, NC not even 10 minutes from this location, it is a very nice area, however, it is also not too far from the city.

The local news reported that on the night of this tragedy, several cars in the same facility were broken into with property being stolen.

The RPD is not saying much of course and we do not know if these crimes are related but they did happen on the same night.

What we do know is that she was one of a small minority of residents that were actually in these new apartments, as they are still being constructed.

RPD is definitely looking into the Facebook deletion and what that may entail.

My heart goes out to her family and friends especially considering the circumstances of this horrid crime!

RPD has a fine reputation for successfully and efficiently tracking down violent criminals and it is my prayer that they will indeed bring this monster to swift justice!

Husbands whereabouts crucial at this point. Get on it. Let's hope LE in TN is all over this guy. The writing is on the wall for me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back