Things LE should have done differently?

genericwhitemale

Reaction score
I wanted to create a discussion where we can discuss things we wish would have been done or handled differently by law enforcement. My vote goes to the calls that were made to Melissa Barthelemy's sister, Amanda. Snippets should have been released to the public by the cops for listening purposes. We know for sure that they had a tap on her cell once the assumed killer started calling her. They determined the calls were made near Madison Square Garden and The Port Authority. I've worked at the same place for nearly 8 years, and can tell you honestly that, by now, when people call they don't even need to give me their names. I recognize the voice. In the past others cases have been solved in such a fashion. What are your ideas?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

More information should be released about the calls MB boyfriend received. Did the police attempt to put a trace on his phone? Were those calls taped? What dates and times did the calls start and stop. It would have been a good idea for anyone getting calls to tape the caller themselves and release copies to all of the news stations for all to hear.

All the family members and friends of the victims should head down to the SCPD and protest. They should carry signs demanding the police to release the voice of the killer to the media so he can be identified. A Saturday sounds like a good time to do this . They can notify all the media outlets in advance so they can attend.

Alright, well I heard that:
- callls were taped, and LE has those tapes.
- that releasing any soundclip to the public results in tens of thousands of responses from people who think they recognize the voice, and they're mistaken. Too many leads to follow up on, no money or manpower to do it.
- that releasing soundclips causes duress and pain for the victim's family and friends.

Alright, well I heard that:
- callls were taped, and LE has those tapes.
- that releasing any soundclip to the public results in tens of thousands of responses from people who think they recognize the voice, and they're mistaken. Too many leads to follow up on, no money or manpower to do it.
- that releasing soundclips causes duress and pain for the victim's family and friends.

What's more painful for the families, listening to a 30 second sound clip or the killer walking around at this very moment as a free man?

What's more painful for the families, listening to a 30 second sound clip or the killer walking around at this very moment as a free man?

Yeah, the families can get the sound clips being played repetitively and the killer walking around as a free man. Seems too good to pass up.

Yeah, the families can get the sound clips being played repetitively and the killer walking around as a free man. Seems too good to pass up.

Well, at some point you either have to **** or get off the pot. I believe that's the way the saying goes. What are your suggestions? Got anything better? These families have already been through the toughest part in losing a loved one, what I'm suggesting should be child's play for them by now. Aren't you the same guy who professed to have a really good idea as to whom the killer was in your very first post here, and then left us all hanging as, I'm sure, your assumptions fell apart?

All due respect some assumptions are being made in this discussion that cannot be proven;

1) There has never been any confirmation that MB's boyfriend ever received any calls. It was one reporter's news article written about this info through information that reporter received from MB's boyfriend through a text message interview with him. The SCPD has never released any statement to verify this as a fact.

2) We do not know any specific details about any recordings of calls to MB's sisters by the police. All we really know is that the police attempted to trace the calls. We also know that MB's mom kept a written journal of the calls that she later handed to the police to help them investigate. There were also text messages. We do not know the content of those texts either.

And they're re-examining every bit of evidence in the cases, including that first call to Amanda, which was followed by a half-dozen more during the next six weeks.

The killer always phoned in the evenings, spoke briefly and in a low voice -- and only to Amanda. He calmly spewed taunts and allegations. He sent text messages.

"He wouldn't talk to anybody but her," said Lynn Barthelemy, who documented the barrage in a journal she gave police. "One time I answered, and he hung up as soon as he heard my voice."

Cops began to triangulate the phone, pinpointing the caller's location to Times Square, Madison Square Garden and Massapequa, a short drive from Gilgo Beach. They showed Melissa's picture around at strip clubs. Did her murderer work in Midtown and commute from Long Island?

The girls were close, and their family wondered: Had the killer gotten a glimpse of Amanda, who twice came to stay with Melissa?

"When Amanda went down there, the first thing they did was to get a manicure and pedicure," said their mom. "They went to the zoo and the Statue of Liberty."

But the sister did not recall anyone who might have been a suspect.

The calls abruptly stopped in August 2009 after a Buffalo TV station revealed their existence.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/1...lead-search-long-island-killer/#ixzz2TPxqc8oV

Being a former probation officer, I can almost guarantee that the police know a whole lot more than they are dishing out to the public, which might or might now work in their favor depending upon how close they are to getting this guy. There are 3 main reasons why Law Enforcement may keep things on the down-low..

Reason #1- They have a suspect already locked in, and have strong evidence, but are waiting to get more evidence so their arrest can lead to a conviction. Basically, the case is closed in this scenario. Police Officers, and if the guy has priors, detectives will also inform probation officers or parole officers to keep secret tabs on him, and to make sure he isn't trying commit anymore of these horrible crimes while he is on the street, and not yet in police custody, and also draft an order of violation of probation or parole on the very very slightest breaking of the law, so they can have him in custody and buy some more time.

Reason #2- They have a few strong leads, and are very close to cracking the case and do not want to release additional information, as it would tip off the suspects and they would flee, commit suicide, and/or try to destroy evidence or interfere with the case.

Reason #3- It is a complicated case, and they are not close to solving it, and cannot afford to follow up on bad leads or have their case crumble in the future by people coming out and making false accusations, such as knowing whose voice it is on the calls. Additionally, preserving the evidence/information allows confessions to hold more weight and convictions to stand ground, and ultimately leads to making sure only guilty people go to jail. For example, if the suspect does not exercise their fifth amendment right and willingly makes statements and gives information to the police, the police can certify the validity of his statements as he would have information only the killer would no, as that or those pieces of information would have never been released to the public

My guess is the detectives are closer to solving this than most people think. This isn't a case where there are no bodies left behind, or forensic evidence. I personally believe he will get caught by a combination of tracing his computer and/or phones, and also because of those burlap bags, due to those being unique and able to be traced back to their owners, and because a lot of forensics can come from them. The Key is his crimes started and heavily involved using advanced modern day technology, and his crimes basically ended with him using old unique, and traceable man made material in the burlap bags. There are a lot of clues and areas to work with in this case, which again leads me to believe they are close to solving this.

Aren't you the same guy who professed to have a really good idea as to whom the killer was in your very first post here, and then left us all hanging as, I'm sure, your assumptions fell apart?

No. Like many others, I have a theory, and I expressed it in detail to several people through email and private message; my assumptions didn't fall apart. As per that theory - killer's dead, LE knows who the killer was, there's no point in playing sound clips to anyone.

No. Like many others, I have a theory, and I expressed it in detail to several people through email and private message; my assumptions didn't fall apart. As per that theory - killer's dead, LE knows who the killer was, there's no point in playing sound clips to anyone.

That's great. I'll take your word for it.

I do not think the killer is dead otherwise LE would have released that information because it would officially close the case with the public and the media. Furthermore, it would allow a sigh of relief for everyone knowing there is not a serial killer hunting on Long Island anymore. From my experience with LE, police officers and detectives let people know right away when something is solved, or when there is information that can put the fears of the public to rest. For example, in a recent home invasion triple murder case, they quickly came out and said it was not a random act of violence, and family was targeted, etc... Obviously this is important for them to leak out so the neighborhood and community does not go crazy in fear that there is a predator striking at random. Despite the rumors and beliefs, LE does not keep solved cases a secret.

I do not think the killer is dead otherwise LE would have released that information because it would officially close the case with the public and the media. Furthermore, it would allow a sigh of relief for everyone knowing there is not a serial killer hunting on Long Island anymore. From my experience with LE, police officers and detectives let people know right away when something is solved, or when there is information that can put the fears of the public to rest. For example, in a recent home invasion triple murder case, they quickly came out and said it was not a random act of violence, and family was targeted, etc... Obviously this is important for them to leak out so the neighborhood and community does not go crazy in fear that there is a predator striking at random. Despite the rumors and beliefs, LE does not keep solved cases a secret.

I wouldn't know how, or where, to start.

PS 149 Im not so sure if the killer has access to Buffalo news reports. August 2009 the killer ask MB mother if she filed a missing persons report. He pretended to be a police officer. Maybe thats why he stopped calling. Who knows.

I wanted to create a discussion where we can discuss things we wish would have been done or handled differently by law enforcement. My vote goes to the calls that were made to Melissa Barthelemy's sister, Amanda. Snippets should have been released to the public by the cops for listening purposes. We know for sure that they had a tap on her cell once the assumed killer started calling her. They determined the calls were made near Madison Square Garden and The Port Authority. I've worked at the same place for nearly 8 years, and can tell you honestly that, by now, when people call they don't even need to give me their names. I recognize the voice. In the past others cases have been solved in such a fashion. What are your ideas?

Did they record any calls?

More likely they traced the routing information for the calls from the phone company's records. Knowing the area where the calls originated would not require them to have been listening in.

I also think the police are a lot closer to solving the case than we think. It's a given that police will know much, much more than they tell the public. I don't think they have enough to nail someone yet, but that they have a few very promising suspects but they need more evidence to actually make an arrest. Unless the killer is a massive genius or LE in the area are awful (which they don't seem to be), LE has probably found at least one piece of evidence that can point them in the right direction. The oldest body found was from 1996 if I remember correctly; NO WAY did the killer not make a mistake in the 14 years he was using the area as a dumping ground.

As to what LE could have done differently ... I think they could have taken the first few disappearances more seriously. It's not a problem with the police in that area, but with police nationwide: they don't seem to care as much when a prostitute disappears as they would if a rich, pretty college student does. That needs to change: police should care for and protect prostitutes just as much. Whether youre a dentist or politician or druggie or prostitute, you're just as important to me and it's so sad that people regard these women as trash or not as deserving of police resources just because of their profession. Prostitutes on the streets are among the most vulnerable and many serial killers could have been stopped sooner if LE paid more attention when prostitutes started going missing in these different cases.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back