Were the Ramseys scared?

GuruJosh

Inactive
Reaction score
Hope this doesnt sound too trivial, but what do we know of whether the Ramseys were scared after P found the note?

In a house that size, i would have been PETRIFIED that "someone" was still lurking in the dark.

BEHEADED.

That's a scary word to read in the dark.

and i'm a 6 foot man!

Did P and J turn on all the lights, etc? Or is this unknown.

Again, sorry if trivial.

I think they were scared, but if I found a note like that, I don't think it would occur to me that this person would still be in the house.
It sure didn't occur to the police when they showed up!

IrishMist said:
I think they were scared, but if I found a note like that, I don't think it would occur to me that this person would still be in the house.

IrishMist,

Judging from the evidence we are aware of, there's no way to tell if John and Patsy were scared or not. The events of that morning are based on LIES.

The enhanced 911 call revealed the Ramseys were lying about Burke's whereabouts at 5:52 AM. IOW, the Ramseys were lying even before the cops got there that morning and before the investigation began. Therefore, after that whopper to start things off, there is nothing John and Patsy said that morning that could be believed with credibility.

IrishMist said:

I agree - I would be more scared for my child than myself. I don't think that it would have crossed my mind that the intruder may still be there.

The behavior of those two was more suspicious to me that the ransom note or the lies. I just can't believe that anyone who had a child thought kidnapped and then found murdered in the basement would let the remaining child go off with anyone at all. I also can't believe that anyone would call in preachers and a house load of friends after reading those threats in the note and to destroy any possible evidence in the home. I also do not believe that I have ever read any reports of John running outside, up and down the alley, or doing anything to see if the kidnappers might still be outside. They weren't so scared because they stayed in the house before the police arrived, and they also didn't demand to be accompanied by police on a search of every nook and cranny of that house for their child or any signs of what happened.

Im with you Guru.....beheaded is an extremely scary word to read in the dark....and im not 6 ft tall!
i dont know if they turned the lights on or not....but i certainly would have
One of the first things i thought when first reading about this case was...how could Patsy have slept so far away from the kids anyway?? Werent their bedrooms a whole floor below?? I find that a bit strange....i mean its common knowledge JB often slept in with Burke.....which tells me she chose to go to him instead of jumping in with mum and dad...i guess that could be because she was too scared to walk that far,it was easier for her to go to Burkes room.......

narlacat said:
i mean its common knowledge JB often slept in with Burke.....which tells me she chose to go to him instead of jumping in with mum and dad...i guess that could be because she was too scared to walk that far,it was easier for her to go to Burkes room.......

narlacat,

Not quite. JonBenet's bedroom door on the second floor was just several steps from the staircase to the third floor, which would have taken her directly into the parents bedroom. JonBenet's bedroom and Burke's bedroom were at opposite ends of the second floor. For JonBenet to go to Burke's room she would have to walk through the play room (which contained a door to the balcony), down a hallway past a bathroom, past the guest bedroom and past the main stairway between the first and third floors. That would be a long and spooky walk for a child who was scared at night.

I am much more skeptical of why the parents even allowed Burke and JonBenet to sleep together. I don't allow my 10-year-old grandson to sleep with his 8-year-old sister. The Ramseys allowed Burke and JonBenet to sleep together regularly, even on Christmas Eve night.

BlueCrab

So JB preferred to walk all that way to Burkes room rather than just walk up the stairs to her parents room...what does that say? That says to me that it wasnt cool for her to go jump in with mum and dad and that it was ok to go jump in with Burke.Though i dont think she actually slept in Burkes bed did she? I thought Burkes room had two single beds in it and she got in the spare one....
Im not sure its that unusual for siblings to sleep with each other Bluecrab...but i think it is unusual for someone who confesses to have adored their child,not to worry about them waking in the middle of the night and being scared..i mean if Patsy was at all concerned about that,surely she would have allowed JB to go to her when she woke and was scared..but JB didnt,she went to Burke..
I read somewhere about the housekeeper that used to work for the R's,Linda Wilcox her name was...she said that it was Patsys job to make sure nothing annoyed John and that he didnt like loud noises and the like...Maybe Patsy had told JB not to go to their room in case John got disturbed and just to go to Burkes room instead..
So as well as having to put up with all the attention going to JB, he had to baby sit in the middle of the night as well....

narlacat said:
One of the first things i thought when first reading about this case was...how could Patsy have slept so far away from the kids anyway?? Werent their bedrooms a whole floor below?? I find that a bit strange.....
Actually it is called a "Split Bedroom Plan" and is quite popular and common in new houses. The master suite is at the opposite end from the other bedrooms.

BlueCrab said:
I am much more skeptical of why the parents even allowed Burke and JonBenet to sleep together. I don't allow my 10-year-old grandson to sleep with his 8-year-old sister. The Ramseys allowed Burke and JonBenet to sleep together regularly, even on Christmas Eve night.

BlueCrab

My brother and I slept together at that age, and I can assure you that nothing sexual was going on. Of course, that was in the early 1970s, and perhaps children of 10 are more sexually aware than we were, but it still seems a pretty innocent age to me.

tipper said:
Actually it is called a "Split Bedroom Plan" and is quite popular and common in new houses. The master suite is at the opposite end from the other bedrooms.

tipper,

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but if it's the Ramsey house the 3rd floor was one giant master bedroom and the 2nd floor contained four bedrooms.

It was for those who find it "strange" and apparently indicative of an uncaring parent that the master bedroom wasn't right next to the children's bedroom.

As i was the one who mentioned the word strange in relation to the lay out of the house...i feel Tipper you are referring to me in the last post.
I understand the whole parents retreat thing,being a parent myself and i am not the first person to question the lay out of the house....in particular where the bedrooms are located.....
I think it is relevant to establish what the sleeping arrangements were ,seeing as she was murdered at night in her own home. And im sorry, but yes i do find it strange that a little girl would rather walk all the way to her brothers room instead of taking the quicker way to her parents room at night when she was scared.
I think that tells us something about the ways things were in that house and in that family....

i spose the question of whether the Ramseys were scared goes back to the issue of whether they behaved AT ALL like they had REALLY just "discovered" a three page ransom note at 5:30 in the morning.

If Patsy was too hysterical to read the note, I am sure John would have at least had the presence of mind to look through it.

Obviously, and i don't see how you can escape this fact, neither of the Ramsey parents believed the note (i.e. neither thought that anyone REALLY wanted $118K from them... neither was expecting a phone call)

It is a small step to conculde that neither of the parents believed there had been a kidnapping by an intruder, whether a filipino ninja faction or just a local boulder $$$ operation.

And Blue Crab, i agree with you again, re: the note's authorship.

The more i look at it, the more i simply cannot believe that Patsy wrote it. Hysterical or not, no one could be so stupid as to write for 3 pages.

Nothing in the note precludes a very smart 9 year old.

At that age i knew "attache" had an acute on the last "e". Whether i would remember that fact when writing something like this, i don't know. I bet many, many other 9 years olds know how to spell attache. But 2 very smart boys together.... that's mischief, brother.

Maybe with some help from a friend, perhaps an older friend, the note looked like a good idea... to JUVENILES at the time.

"Were the Ramseys scared?" Well, if I was in that situation, I would have been terrified. If any of you had ever had your home burgularized, you may know of that intense feeling of being violated...and that's just your STUFF, not your child!!

I've followed this case since day one, and the thing(s) I just cannot get past are the fact that they completely *ignored* the stern warning in the note instructing them to contact NO ONE. I can understand calling the police, but calling half the neighborhood to come over was insane! They are either guilty or complete idiots! Would you do that if it were your child??
John, of all people, would know not to destroy evidence in the house.
Heck, anyone who has s een a few episodes of CSI or Law & Order would know that.
Also, the amount, alone...$118,000 is ridiculous. In fact, that may be the only thing that would make me lean toward a child writing the note.

Patsy's handwriting samples look very similar to the writing of the note, and no 9 year old (I have a very smart almost 10 year old nephew) would use the words "law enforcement counter measures and tactics", among others.

The evidence points to either John or Burke...with the parents covering up for him. Unfortunately, we will never know the truth.

Also, the amount, alone...$118,000 is ridiculous. In fact, that may be the only thing that would make me lean toward a child writing the note.

I think that Patsy wrote the note and that both her and John came up with what to say in it. I think they put that amount in just to try and divert the attention away from themselves and onto a friend.

Just to add that was a good post btw Tristan

Theres no way i would call all my friends around at a time like that and ive got some really close friends,alot longer friends than the R's were with their friends in Boulder,they'd only lived there 5 years. I wouldnt have called them anyway,note or no note.
They called all their friends,their doctor,their priest to take the pressure off,to add confusion to the situation.

Tristan said:
Patsy's handwriting samples look very similar to the writing of the note, and no 9 year old (I have a very smart almost 10 year old nephew) would use the words "law enforcement counter measures and tactics", among others.
But unless you subscribe to HoldOnToYouHat's "diversionary tactic" theory regarding the purpose of the ransom note (ie that the note was written by a very SMART intruder to draw attention in the wrong direction, allowing escape interstate or overseas), you are stuck with the issue of the stupidity of the ransom note author.

Whichever way you cut it, if the note is not diversionary, the author is stupid, or, as BC says, juvenile.

I find it easier to believe that a smart 10 year old friend wrote "law enforcement countermeasures + tactics" than a 40 year old women, a smart 40 year old woman at that, decided to give away her identity in 3 pages of "signatures".

The note is juvenile; the author, whether Burke or an accomplice, is probably juvenile too.

Come on BC, come in and back me up :)

Did the author intend for the note to be read as a "real" ransom demand for a kidnapping? Different question, and YES, that would affect any assessment of the intelligence/maturity of the author.

That "diversionary tactic" theory is a damn good one, HoldOnToYourHat :) I like it.

Narlacat...thank you for the compliment. This case frustrates me SO much that sometimes I feel my head will explode.

The ransom note is the biggest and best piece of evidence.
What also gets me, and many others, I'm sure, is WHY would a kidnapper
from a "small foreign faction" leave a ransom note and not take the body?

If it was a sexually motivated murder, WHY leave a note?

The note was meant to confuse and misdirect the police.
It appears to have been written by someone who was intelligent, but
was trying to appear not so. John is very smart, and if the Ramseys were covering up for Burke (quite likely), they did a great job of diverting LE.

IMO, there is A LOT that we don't know. Whether it was a Ramsey who killed Jonbenet or not...someone is preventing this case from ever being solved.
Someone with power and influence.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10