OH OH - Cincinnati, 'Broadway Doe', WhtMale 20-30, UP7739, scars, clothes, watch, Oct'88

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
NamUs UP # 7739 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/7739

Unidentified White Male

b1fbc5de-658f-4db4-a4a1-1e89308b832c.jpg

Found October 27, 1988 in Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio

Physical Characteristics

* Height: 68" (5 feet 8 inches)
* Weight: 137 lbs
* Head Hair: Brown, Wavy, 4" in length
* FacialHair: Brown mustache that comes to the corners of the mouth, approximately 0.5" in length
* Eye Color: Blue
* Scars/Marks: The right side of the forehead has a vertically oriented, 0.5" scar that had been previously stitched (sutured). A vertically oriented 3" scar is present on the front of the right shoulder. On the the right palm at the base of the thumb is a 0.5", well healed, linear scar. On the back of the left ring finger (between the joints of the finger) is a 0.5" scar that had been previously stitched. On the medial aspect of the right leg, starting 3" below the knee, is a well healed scar, 4.5" in length. It appears purple and has a width up to 0.25".​

Condition of Remains
* Probable Year of Death: 1988
* Est. Postmortem Interval: Hours
* Comments: Recognizable face​

Circumstancess
* Comments: The deceased was found at the bottom of a stairwell.​

Identifiers
* Dental: Available
Upper (R to L, 01-16) N N F F F N N NO O N N NO NO A N N
Lower (R to L, 32-17) N N F N N N N N NO N N N N F N N

Dental Comments:
"Natural dentition is well preserved" as per autopsy report. Dental charting obtained from Dr. Frank Wright and translated to NamUs coding.
#8 and 24 had wear facets. #9 had mesioincisal fracture. #12 and 13 were carious but not restored.​
* DNA: mtDNA and nucDNA At National CODIS.
* Fingerprints: Not Currently Available (Case reports state "Homicide was on the scene and will take prints and other information". An attempt will be made to locate fingerprints through Cincinnati PD.)​

WKRC in Cincinnati did a news story on this John Doe.

It's estimated there are 40,000 unidentified dead people in U.S. morgues and unmarked graves. One of them is a young man found in Cincinnati years ago, found before investigators used DNA to identify people and before some local college students started working to find his name.

"I am curious about the 20-30 year old white male. Why did he die so young?" College of Mount Saint Joseph biology major Corey Brann is working with other students to identify six John and Jane Doe's who died in Hamilton County going back to 1980. The young man found at the bottom of a staircase on Broadway is one of them. The students call him Broadway Doe.

Now Broadway Doe's genetic profile is in CODIS, the DNA indexing system. If a relative looking for him is in CODIS too, we could find his name. Biology student Sarah Kent used Broadway's morgue photo to sketch a likeness that will go in Namus. He's about her age, clean-cut, except for the head injury that killed him. "He looked like he had a purpose, maybe college. Clean-he didn't look homeless. I would have to imagine someone missed him, just didn't know how to find him. That's why NAMUS is so important."

"They all have a story, came from somewhere and they're all part of some family."

http://www.local12.com/news/local/s...Broadway-Doe-Case/yvGs-7W5ZkqkpdzzndH4qA.cspx

Do we know for a fact this young man's race? I know NamUs says white, but I also know that NamUs usually lists Hispanic people as white, something that drives me crazy. With only a drawing you can't tell anything about the person's competition. But I guess with blue eyes you would expect him to be white, right?

It strikes me as unusual that someone this age would have so many scars. Any thoughts on what may have caused these? If he had some sort of medical condition that made him prone to falls or accidents this could help narrow down the possibilities. Just a thought.

The following link shows new facial reconstruction for these remains.
Maybe this will help return this man to his family!

http://www.local12.com/news/local/s...Reconstructed-For/zwDLbMsH6UGyayHWZCCzTg.cspx

This link no longer works but the touched up morgue photo is now the only one listed-
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/7739

Exclusions
The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:

Steven Bunch 1959 Kentucky
Scott Hilbert 1969 Ohio
Virgil Tackett 1968 Alaska
Ronald Tammen 1933 Ohio
Ronald Vonderheide 1964 Ohio

It strikes me as unusual that someone this age would have so many scars. Any thoughts on what may have caused these? If he had some sort of medical condition that made him prone to falls or accidents this could help narrow down the possibilities. Just a thought.

Those sound like the kinds of scars that are common in many outdoor-type professions and hobbies: hunting, fishing, farm and ranch work, lumberjack, landscaper, carpenter, etc.

Ruleouts as of 2 December 2017:

First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Steven Bunch 1959 Kentucky
Jeffrey Coonradt 1960 California
John Hale 1950 Ohio
Scott Hilbert 1969 Ohio
Brian Hooks 1966 South Carolina
David Rhodes 1963 Florida
Virgil Tackett 1968 Alaska
Ronald Tammen 1933 Ohio
Ronald Vonderheide 1964 Ohio
Jimmy Whitfield 1957 South Carolina

I have reservations, but Steven W. Hendricks? He is missing from Washington, IN (~3.5 hrs from Cincinnati) the month prior to the discovery of Broadway Doe. Hendricks's girlfriend's body was found in their home, but he has never been found, alive or dead. He seems to be considered alternately as a suspect and as a potential victim of foul play himself. No motive is offered for either his disappearance or possible death, or that of Rebecca Harvey, his girlfriend. He was 22 years old and had dark hair and a mustache, although his eyes are listed as hazel, not blue--my biggest reservation with the match. Doe says DNA is available, but I'm not sure what type. He is listed as 5'7" and 135 pounds, which is consistent with Broadway's 5'8" and 137 pounds. I could easily see him going to Cincinnati to jump town as a fugitive, but I have no idea what would have prompted someone to lethally attack him there.

Unfortunately, his hairstyle obscures a lot of his features in the one photo I can find of him online, including his hair line, most of his eyebrows, and his ears. The lips, chin, hair pattern of mustache, and placement of eyes appear similar. His eyes had a "sleepier" appearance than that of the photo of Broadway, but that appears to be the most retouched aspect of the image for me. Hazel seems to mean very different things to different people (see this article for examples), but I do think Hendricks's eyes in the photo may be too dark to be Broadway.

Namus: Missing Person Case
Doe Project: 3923DMIN - Steven W. Hendricks
Charley Project: Steven W. Hendricks – The Charley Project
Article about fire/murder of Rebecca Harvey: View Image
Larger version of the one photo: Indiana cold cases: Can you help solve them?

Rule outs

Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP23568John Hale
Date of Last ContactNovember 26, 1978
StateOH
CountyFranklin
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP23987David Rhodes
Date of Last ContactJune 22, 1988
StateFL
CountyBroward
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP11759Brian Hooks
Date of Last ContactSeptember 24, 1988
StateSC
CountyFlorence
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP10787Jeffrey Coonradt
Date of Last ContactDecember 20, 1987
StateCA
CountyMonterey
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP9296Jimmy Whitfield
Date of Last ContactMarch 07, 1987
StateSC
CountyOconee

Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP6708Virgil Tackett
Date of Last ContactJune 11, 1986
StateAK
CountySkagway Yakutat Angoon
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP5617Steven Bunch
Date of Last ContactDecember 28, 1985
StateKY
CountyKenton
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP4523Ronald Tammen
Date of Last ContactApril 19, 1953
StateOH
CountyButler
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP3221Ronald Vonderheide
Date of Last ContactMay 05, 1987
StateOH
CountyClermont
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP7926Scott Hilbert
Date of Last ContactMarch 13, 1988
StateOH
CountyClermont

bump
got some new potential IDs to suggest...All are within height range, brown/black wavy hair, with blue or green eyes.
(reminder of the facial comp of the UID - I believe it's been slightly blurred (to hide early decomp?) and the angle's a bit strange)
Thumbnail
Robert Eugene Hampton - DLC 1986, would have been 19, from Washington (other side of country). Nose might be too wide but I know that personally my nose widens significantly when I smile. Pic would be from 5 yrs prior, and ofc things change, but I believe eyebrow shape is very similar.
Thumbnail

Randall Dean Leach - DLC 1980, would have been 28, from Idaho. Was known to have 'nomadic' ideations.
randall_dean_leach_1.jpg

Dale Eugene Kelley - DLC 1981, would have been 28, from Cali, which is far away but his car was found all the way in New Orleans. What interests me about this guy is Dale has a scar on his left knee, while UID has a scar on his right knee...wouldn't be the first time left/right reporting gets messed up.
dale_eugene_kelley_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects