University professor, wife killed in Nebraska *Arrest Made*

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/16/us/nebraska-murders/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

<modsnip>

Roger and Mary Brumback, both 65, were found dead at their home early Tuesday by officers responding to a welfare call.............

<modsnip>

However, they have said a cold case unit is assisting to determine whether there is a connection between the case and the unsolved killings of Shirlee Sherman and Thomas Hunter.

More at link.....

WS link on murders of Shirlee Sherman and Thomas Hunter:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2414811&postcount=1"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Omaha double murder[/ame]

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/college-professor-monroeville-wife-slain-nebraska/nXsbD/

.........No arrests have been made in the killings of Dr. Roger A. Brumback, 65, and his wife, Mary, whose bodies were found Tuesday, authorities said. Police won't say how the couple was killed, but said the case was being investigated as a double homicide..........

<modsnip>

He was a noted researcher in Alzheimer's disease and served as chairman of the Pathology Department of the Creighton University School of Medicine from 2001-2010.........more...........

There are already two pages or so of discussion on this case on the other thread- about the first two murders. Maybe those comments need to be merged into tis one? Hard to make a call here- both murders seem related but if any mods are reading maybe you cab decide?

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/news/us/monroeville-natives-death-raises-questions-687985/

Police are investigating the deaths as a double homicide. They mark the second killing in connection with the Creighton University pathology department, where Dr. Brumback was a professor and department chair, in five years.

Thomas Hunter, 11, and Shirlee Sherman, 57, the son and housekeeper of his colleague William Hunter, were fatally stabbed inside the family's home in 2008, the Omaha World-Herald reported. That case remains unsolved............

<modsnip>

The World-Herald is reporting the Brumbacks were discovered Tuesday morning when a piano mover, Jason Peterson, called police after he arrived at the couple's home and found the front door unlocked and a large-caliber gun clip on the threshold............

<modsnip>

More at link......

Hi! I haven't been back here in quite awhile and need to get caught up. Missed you guys!

Is the Dr. Hunter and current double homicide of the doctor and his wife connected? Interesting theory and I heard that Dr. Hunter was a friend of his.

I posted something similar on the Dundee thread so will repeat here.

It occurs to me that Dr Brumback was doing research in Alzheimer's and other areas that could have involved stem cell research. I know there are strict limits as to where they can go on this at Catholic institutions such as CU. Is it possible that someone there felt that he was transgressing those boundaries? Also the same person was motivated to take out the son of another Dr also doing similar research?

Not my wish to offend- I have friends active in pro-life activities and they will tell me there are extremists in that movement as in any other. If this idea is valid it'd suggest to me that whoever did these crimes is someone right there at CU. Maybe they need to look for a file clerk in medical records...

It occurs to me that Dr Brumback was doing research in Alzheimer's and other areas that could have involved stem cell research. I know there are strict limits as to where they can go on this at Catholic institutions such as CU. Is it possible that someone there felt that he was transgressing those boundaries? Also the same person was motivated to take out the son of another Dr also doing similar research?

Not my wish to offend- I have friends active in pro-life activities and they will tell me there are extremists in that movement as in any other. If this idea is valid it'd suggest to me that whoever did these crimes is someone right there at CU. Maybe they need to look for a file clerk in medical records...

I wonder if stem cell research is allowed at CU? Is there any way we can find out?

Community Forum on Stem Cell Research
Frequently Asked Questions:

What is Creighton University’s position on embryonic stem cell research?
Creighton University, in its public and official identity as a Catholic, Jesuit institution, reaffirms its commitment to Catholic teaching regarding human life.
Catholic teaching is clear. It is not morally licit to conduct any research on stem cells obtained from the direct destruction of embryos or fetuses.

Is the Church opposed to all stem cell research?
No. The Church is opposed to the use of embryonic stem cells in research. Research with adult stem cells that neither create nor destroy life but which have the promise of curing disease is approved and encouraged by the Church.

http://chpe.creighton.edu/events/other-events/stemcell-faq.htm

I do understand Catholic teaching on this matter and am not alleging that anything contrary to that was going on at CU. However all it would take to set something in motion for some disturbed individual would be to THINK or suspect there was. Perhaps something they saw on a lab report, etc, who knows? It was just offered as an angle LE may want to look at.

We know the world of academia is rife with rivalries and jealousies; that could also be in play here. I will say if these killings are linked it sort of puts the kibosh on this being a serial killer, at least a transient one; he wouldn't go back to the same city and do it again- or, would he??

It seems to me if he was doing this type of research he would make doubly and triply sure of the boundaries because to overstep would mean failure of his project(s). Someone doing this type of research wants to make sure he can finish the project and of course publish the results eventually.

Now there very may well be someone who is against stem cell research PERIOD--that is a real possibility.

Now, about perceived transgressions:
I have posted about a neurologist I worked for who did muscular dystrophy research. I know for a fact he used live mice in his research. I was not allowed to say so or to refer to anything (supplies, cages, etc.) because the institution did not want it known there were animals used in the research. They had permission through official channels, but they didn't want animal rights people trying to sabotage their work.

What is considered a large caliber gun clip? It was found at the threshold of the door and the door was ajar and the piano mover could see the Dr's body inside a few feet from the door but there was no visible blood. Wouldn't a large caliber weapon cause alot of blood loss? How could that gun clip be left behind on the door's threshold? Hopefully a big mistake on the killer's part.

http://www.omaha.com/article/201305...-omaha-home-deaths-treated-as-double-homicide

What is considered a large caliber gun clip? It was found at the threshold of the door and the door was ajar and the piano mover could see the Dr's body inside a few feet from the door but there was no visible blood. Wouldn't a large caliber weapon cause alot of blood loss? How could that gun clip be left behind on the door's threshold? Hopefully a big mistake on the killer's part.

http://www.omaha.com/article/201305...-omaha-home-deaths-treated-as-double-homicide

Yes, it could prove to have been a major mistake. I am sure there are people on here more versed in firearms than myself but wouldn't it be possible for LE to trace back a discarded clip to the gun shop or outlet that sold it?

Snick, IMO, from what little info we have. But it appears to me that there may have been a confrontation at the front door by the clip being found there. The perp may not have realized he dropped it if there was a scuffle. Hopefully it can be traced.

Prominent university professor and his wife found murdered in their home...as police investigate possible links to another double homicide in the town five years ago

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...le-homicide-town-years-ago.html#ixzz2TahBwKG4

I'm trying to understand the exact nature of the connection since it is a bit confusing. I take it that the first set of murders occurred at the home of Drs. William and Claire Hunter. Their son, Thomas Hunter, 11, and their housekeeper, 57-year-old Shirlee Sherman, were stabbed to death at the Hunters' home on March 13, 2008.

The two who were murdered just recently were Roger and Mary Brumback. Roger worked with both Drs. Hunter at Creighton's medical school. That makes four people well known by the Hunters who have been murdered in two double murders, each murder occurring inside the deceased's own home.

The housekeeper and the Hunter's son were stabbed to death...the Brumbacks apparently manner of death has not been revealed. Police have said there are similarities but have not commented further.

I wonder where the Hunters were when the Brumbacks were killed? I need to look up the 2008 media coverage of the first two murders.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...le-homicide-town-years-ago.html#ixzz2ThZBjhUW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both sets of murders have a connection to the Creighton Pathology Department where Thomas' father was a colleague of Dr. Brumback. Dr. Bill Hunter tells Channel 6 News police have been in contact with him, but he could not say anything more.

Creighton University confirmed for Channel 6 News Friday that it is taking extra precautions around campus while police try to determine if there is a connection. Channel 6 has also learned some individual staff members at Creighton are getting extra security both on and off campus.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Neighborhood-Anxiety-Grows-Day-After-Bodies-Found-207613291.html

The article says OPD will give an update tomorrow but gives no time. A sleuth on the Omaha Double MUrder thread said it would be at 10 am but gave no link so I dunno. I glad to to read that some CU staff members are receiving extra security.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back